Mint 17.3 XFCE Freezes (And every other Distro)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17.3 XFCE Freezes (And every other Distro)

Post by Duskitty » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:20 pm

So the problem is Everything Just Stops Suddenly, I cant do anything and im forced to Reboot via holding the power button down

Specs :

(the model itself is an Acer Aspire X AXC-603G-UW15

Intel Pentium J2900 Quad-Core Processor
1TB HD
4 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics

Ive been looking to find an answer for quite some time now, the freezes are random and ive looked through the logs and stuff and found absolutely nothing,
if it helps i have dual moniters

(VGA and HDMI out)
(but i still get the freezes even with one moniter)

another thing is , a while ago, my whole entire Windows partition became corrupted, so i erased the entire disk with Gparted and installed XFCE Mint 17.3 (Originally had windows 8.1 and Xubuntu but i was getting Freezes on Xubuntu as well

if there's anything i can do to give more info please do tell,
i'm getting rather irritated from having to reboot my computer just cause it Randomly freezes

hydrurga
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 17.3 XFCE Freezes (And every other Distro)

Post by hydrurga » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:13 am

Sounds like your computer has a hardware problem.

The first thing I would do is put Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) onto a CD/DVD/USB stick (use uNetBootin or Rufus for the latter), boot from that, and do a full check of your computer's memory.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:06 pm

In addition to memory, you might want to check for overheating or a failing (or inadequate) power supply - especially if you are running 2 monitors.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

xox101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xox101 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:36 pm

And maybe swap out the hard drive for a known good one and see if it makes a difference.

Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duskitty » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:14 pm

hydrurga wrote:Sounds like your computer has a hardware problem.

The first thing I would do is put Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) onto a CD/DVD/USB stick (use uNetBootin or Rufus for the latter), boot from that, and do a full check of your computer's memory.

Done, Now, ive checked the Hard Drive with the built in disk checking thing and it said the Hard Drive was perfectly fine (using the self smart tests and things)
If there's any other methods please tell

As well as how would one check the Power Supply if i dont have any more power supplies and/or cant afford to buy a new one?

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi Duskitty,

Firstly, welcome to the Mint forum! :)

From the information you provided, my initial thoughts were failing hard drive. Even though Disks says the drive is okay, it's a concern that the Windows partition became corrupt.
One alternative test you can try, run Mint live from USB memory card/stick for a while and see if you still get random freezes?

David

Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duskitty » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:46 pm

David Black wrote:Hi Duskitty,

Firstly, welcome to the Mint forum! :)

From the information you provided, my initial thoughts were failing hard drive. Even though Disks says the drive is okay, it's a concern that the Windows partition became corrupt.
One alternative test you can try, run Mint live from USB memory card/stick for a while and see if you still get random freezes?

David
I'll be to sure to try it if my current session dies, it's been going well ever since i did the ram test (for some reason), I dunno why it would change anything though

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:06 pm

memtest86+ wouldn't fix an issue, only highlight an issue.

If you experience further issues, here's a few extra ideas to try:

You already mentioned trying each monitor in turn, you could also try disconnecting and running without any attached peripherals (not counting mouse/keyboard).

While system is powered off, network lead (if you use one) is unplugged, and after earthing yourself. You could try re-seating the memory chips (avoid touching the contacts). If that doesn't help, while memory chips are removed, you can also gently use an eraser on the contacts to remove any grease or grim build-up that may have accumulated. Old adage applies... If in doubt, do nowt! :)

Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duskitty » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:24 am

David Black wrote:memtest86+ wouldn't fix an issue, only highlight an issue.

If you experience further issues, here's a few extra ideas to try:

You already mentioned trying each monitor in turn, you could also try disconnecting and running without any attached peripherals (not counting mouse/keyboard).

While system is powered off, network lead (if you use one) is unplugged, and after earthing yourself. You could try re-seating the memory chips (avoid touching the contacts). If that doesn't help, while memory chips are removed, you can also gently use an eraser on the contacts to remove any grease or grim build-up that may have accumulated. Old adage applies... If in doubt, do nowt! :)
Okay so i tried reseating the memory card (it's only one 4gb chip)

So wish me luck on that

(also just a side note, does there /need/ to be a memory card in the first slot, or can i put it whereever. cause i tried to put it in the secondary one (only 2 slots) and it wouldnt boot, is this normal?)

hydrurga
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hydrurga » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Duskitty wrote:

(also just a side note, does there /need/ to be a memory card in the first slot, or can i put it whereever. cause i tried to put it in the secondary one (only 2 slots) and it wouldnt boot, is this normal?)
Some motherboards, particularly older ones, do insist on a memory module being in the first slot.

This is a nice guide to installing memory: https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Installing_Computer_Memory .

thecompu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thecompu » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Everyone else here has given perfect advice. The only thing I would add from my experience is this: If a computer HARD-freezes -- meaning you can't even move the mouse pointer even though it's quite visible on-screen and keyboard key-presses do nothing -- then it's nearly _always_ a hardware problem.

Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duskitty » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 pm

hydrurga wrote:
Duskitty wrote:

Some motherboards, particularly older ones, do insist on a memory module being in the first slot.

This is a nice guide to installing memory: https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Installing_Computer_Memory .

3 Things now

1. Reseating ram didnt help and had to Hard reset again

2. This computer honestly isnt that old, maybe just a year or so (but it was refurbished so i dont know if they messed something up)

3. Having looked at the layout inside my computer, there's a bunch of cords under the Hard drive, is it possible that they start to heat up which may be causing the freezes?

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Please provide results from the following

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Voltages coming out of a PSU (power supply unit) should only be 3.3V, 5V and 12V, as long as cables are in good condition, connected correctly, not catching on any fans, there shouldn't be a risk of them overheating.
Main heat sources inside a computer are CPU, GPU, some motherboard chips if system is over-clocked, and older HDD's.

If you watch Administrator -> System Monitor (Resources tab), do you see any unusual peaks?

You could also try Terminal

alek zander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alek zander » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:13 pm

hi, bro!
can you tell for sure - those freezes does or doesnot relevate in any way to system/cpu/gpu/hdd temperature?
if that happens (sometimes) from the start ? or only after some (?) time of work? or only after graphic/counting load ?
i can tell you almost for sure (99,9%) you have hardware problems.

as you was told before - try to replace (temporary) your hdd with a for-sure-good one.

as i'm a newbie in linux - i bring my appologies for "windows"-comparisons. it's just because of my (for now) poor linux experience.
so - there's system-tool program for windows - HWMonitor. it allows to control hard values like temperatures, voltages and fans-speed in real time. at least you can estimate the condition of your cooling system and power supply.

Guru - they will tell you (and me as well) if there's anything like that tool for linux. ?

Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duskitty » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:01 pm

David Black wrote:Please provide results from the following

inxi -Fxz
Voltages coming out of a PSU (power supply unit) should only be 3.3V, 5V and 12V, as long as cables are in good condition, connected correctly, not catching on any fans, there shouldn't be a risk of them overheating.
Main heat sources inside a computer are CPU, GPU, some motherboard chips if system is over-clocked, and older HDD's.

If you watch Administrator -> System Monitor (Resources tab), do you see any unusual peaks?

You could also try Terminal

For You Hopefully it helps in some way

duskitten@duskitten ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: duskitten Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: Aspire XC-603G
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P11-B0 date: 04/28/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Pentium J2900 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19302
           clock speeds: max: 2665 MHz 1: 1332 MHz 2: 1332 MHz 3: 1332 MHz
           4: 1332 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz, 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Logic3 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-009
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Ralink RT2501/RT2573 Wireless Adapter
           driver: rt73usb v: 2.3.0 usb-ID: 001-002
           IF: wlan0 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (13.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdc model: External_USB_3.0 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 913G used: 32G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 196 Uptime: 18:51 Memory: 936.2/3835.3MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.5
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 
duskitten@duskitten ~ $ 

Also To answer Your Thing No i dont see peaks at all , ive used Htop to watch it and waited for a freeze and "X" was at the top of the list during the freeze, but the cpu usage and ram were at their normal states

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks for providing the system information.
Notice there have been 5 BIOS updates since, couple for Non-Windows requests, but one thing at a time!

If you open System Settings -> Driver Manager, are there any recommend drivers to install (network)?

Try running the live Mint session from USB.

Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duskitty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:44 pm

David Black wrote:Thanks for providing the system information.
Notice there have been 5 BIOS updates since, couple for Non-Windows requests, but one thing at a time!

If you open System Settings -> Driver Manager, are there any recommend drivers to install (network)?

Try running the live Mint session from USB.
1st off - I dont see anything pertaining to bios updates, i just see bios

2nd - There's nothing in there

(My wifi card seems to be supported just by built in stuff)

3rd - I'll try it, though it's extremely laggy

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:54 pm

1) Apologies, should have explained, researched BIOS updates based on system information returned from inxi -Fxz

Look under BIOS/Firmware in the following link
http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/dr ... %20XC-603G

2) No problem, always worth checking.

3) For your system, as long as you do not run out of physical RAM, and are using a fast USB device (an example being: Class 10 (or faster) SD card in USB adaptor), then it shouldn't be laggy?

Duskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duskitty » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:10 am

David Black wrote:1) Apologies, should have explained, researched BIOS updates based on system information returned from inxi -Fxz

Look under BIOS/Firmware in the following link
http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/dr ... %20XC-603G

2) No problem, always worth checking.

3) For your system, as long as you do not run out of physical RAM, and are using a fast USB device (an example being: Class 10 (or faster) SD card in USB adaptor), then it shouldn't be laggy?
1. Saying as such , i dont know how to upgrade the bios, nor would i want to do it incorrectly

and 2. I havent had to switch to the USB yet (been going on a session for around 5 hours now) Is it possible that it could be xfce itself? just curious (also i'll switch to usb once it freezes again)

Also, i dont have any other hard drives so i dont know how i would test if this one is bad (and i dont have any money to get a new one)

And ive also Deduced it isnt the moniters causing it, cause i went with just 1 and it froze still

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:46 am

Very wise, which is also why I originally said "one thing at a time", BIOS upgrade wouldn't be a high priorty, unless it specifically mentioned fixing a relevant issue.

Wouldn't have thought Xfce was a cause as it's quite light.
With your hardware specifications, you can certainly test the other 3 Mint 17.3 versions (could be an idea while testing system running from USB, perform two tasks at once!). :)

Testing Mint live from USB (if you get another freeze) should help identify if it's a hard drive issue, as hard drive should be idle during live Mint session.

Return to “Newbie Questions”