Is there any easy way to set up wifi with 17.2/3?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barryed
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any easy way to set up wifi with 17.2/3?

Post by barryed »

I've just downloaded the current version (which I have no idea how to determine) and installed it on a HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop. As far as I can see, connecting to wifi using Network Connections involves considerable technical knowledge (or luck). Isn't there — I believe we're in 2016 and Linux Mint claims to be a modern operating system — an easy way to connect to my wifi router?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Is there any easy way to set up wifi with 17.2/3?

Post by Cosmo. »

barryed wrote:I've just downloaded the current version (which I have no idea how to determine)
Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
and read the output. Or copy and paste it here.
Or open the system configuration and look for the system information dialog.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Take this with a grain of salt since I am no expert . . .

Before you get in too deep, I suggest you find out for sure which version of Mint 17.3 you installed. That is, do what Cosmo suggested. With the relatively low processing power of your HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop you will probably find the Xfce version the best match. If you installed Mate you may be OK. If you installed Cinnamon I suggest you replace it with Xfce.
barryed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barryed »

Thanks to both of you. It's shut-off-computer time in Uruguay, but I'll follow up.
barryed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barryed »

Cosmo. wrote:
barryed wrote:I've just downloaded the current version (which I have no idea how to determine)
Open a terminal and enter

inxi -Sz
and read the output. Or copy and paste it here.
Or open the system configuration and look for the system information dialog.
Host: HP-32
Kernel: 3.19.0.32-generic x86_64
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
barryed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barryed »

Superannuated wrote:Take this with a grain of salt since I am no expert . . .

Before you get in too deep, I suggest you find out for sure which version of Mint 17.3 you installed. That is, do what Cosmo suggested. With the relatively low processing power of your HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop you will probably find the Xfce version the best match. If you installed Mate you may be OK. If you installed Cinnamon I suggest you replace it with Xfce.
All I'm doing with this computer is watching movies. It came with Windows 8.1 installed. Hard for me to imagine that any Linux distro/desktop combo would be more bloated than that.
barryed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barryed »

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, I wouldn't install linux-firmware-nonfree or anything else without knowing what the adapter actually is first.

Copy/paste these separately into the terminal and paste results here:

sudo lshw -C network

lspci -nn | grep 0280
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”