After 20 attempts, finally registered on forum!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

After 20 attempts, finally registered on forum!

Post by amethyst_igor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:32 pm

:shock:
Well, take it as a tribute to how much I like Linux Mint that I hung in there and kept a-trying. You see, first, I tried my old username/pwd from the old forum, because there was nothing that said we couldn't use our old usernames. Instead of telling me my username was invalid, the forum software told me I had entered an invalid password. Well, I don't think that was quite right, so I tried resetting my password, but it wouldn't send me a reset email to my email address on record. Never received that email. Then I decided, well, I had better change my email address on record, so I tried changing it, using my old password. Then I tried resetting the password. Never got the email there either.

Next, the forum software told me I had exceeded the maximum amount of login attempts. It had to answer a CAPTCHA. Well, it kept telling me that, over and over again. So I decided I had better create a brand new username. I tried, but then it said, well, that email address is already in use. You can't use it. So, I used another email address. Fail! The forum decided, time for to enter more CAPTCHA, because I had exceeded the maximum amount of login attempts. Then it decided to send me an email for verification of my email address. Well, I clicked the link in the email. Then I tried to log in again. Fail! Another CAPTCHA required.

In the end, I think I entered about a dozen CAPTCHAs, tried or succeeded in creating three or four new user accounts, and entered about 25 different password combinations. But after about 30-40 minutes, I'm here!

I didn't do this for Kubuntu. I quit using Kubuntu after encountering the same thing with their forum software. But Linux Mint is different. It's worth a little hassle registering on the forum. But then, Linux Mint never went with Muon for a software manager. :)

I'm igor83 from the old forum. I like my new username anyway. Amethyst is proof against intoxication. I try to refrain from drinking.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: After 20 attempts, finally registered on forum!

Post by Pierre » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:37 pm

& YES - you're right, & I've had some fun getting back into this < new > forum, as well.

BTW: it seems to be using the latest phpBB software, as well.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Yes, I had problems as well - that's to be expected when bringing up a new server. I'm sure it will settle down to 'stable' within a week or so.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:04 pm

My new password kept getting rejected as not containing the proper numbers, letters, some punctuation, etc.
I do not remember being prompted that least one letter had to be capitalized--but when I arbitrarily capitalized
one letter the same password was immediately accepted.

Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Georgia boy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm not poking fun at you guys but I'm saying I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Even after having created my new password finally after a few times at it I log in tonight and got the message about too many times and had only actually done once. And I also got to put those special letters and numbers in after that one shot.
Debian testing
Hp Pav a1440n
820 Intel Pent D procces 2 process cores, 2.0GB mem,250GB HD, NVIDA GeForce 7300LE, Intel ViiV.
ASUS A53SD-TS72 Intel Cor i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, Mint LMDE2 64 bit.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:43 am

The first time I logged in yesterday post breach I was prompted for a new password. I entered it and got to the main board.

Now I'm prompted to enter the captcha characters :(

Does anyone know if this Is this going to be ongoing or is this captcha stuff just a temporary situation :?:
ImageImage

yaye
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaye » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:54 am

Hello,

No problems here. Once the forums came back up, I clicked to login, was directed to enter a new password twice and my old password once. After that, I was logged in. The forum is responding faster and I'm getting updates as usual.

Ian
Unregistered Desktop Linux User since 1998 (Redhat 5.0 "Hurricane").

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:59 am

I just logged out and back in again and was asked for the captcha.

Maybe it just doesn't like me :?
ImageImage

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:25 am

WharfRat wrote:I just logged out and back in again and was asked for the captcha.

Maybe it just doesn't like me :?
on this PC - it asks for the captcha on every 2nd log-in, as the first attempt seems to fail.
- it shouldn’t be happening, with that method, so there are still issues, to be resolved.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:51 am

I have the same problem where the forum software tells me, that I have used too many attempts to log in and gives me the captcha. I think I was yesterday the first one who reported this problem.

The even more strange thing is, that this problem does not appear for everybody. I happened to be in a private discussion with Habitual yesterday and I asked him on this occasion, if he is affected. His answer was no. So I wonder which factor triggers this behavior of the forum software? The IP address? Something else?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Things getting far worse

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:32 am

I just wanted to edit my previous post. When I submitted it I got the message, that I have been banned, because my iP address has been misused because of spamming. That is impossible, as my current IP address cannot be used by anybody else and am I am connected to the Internet since this morning with the same address.

Next problem: Trying to log in again (after reconnecting my router to obtain a new IP address) there was the usual game with the captcha, but now no captcha got displayed, but the line to enter the signs was there. Obviously it is impossible to do so without captcha.

This is going to get dramatically.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:44 am

Well, this time I was able to submit without getting banned. So another try to post, what I tried to write in the edit:

There is some observation I just noticed:
If I am here in the edit window of the forum I get the blue lock sign on the left of the address bar of Firefox and the site information -> security tells me, that the site is completely encrypted and the that the identity of the web site is validated by COMODO CA Limited.

As soon as I am in the usual view mode (reading posts, browsing threads), the blue lock icon vanishes and the site information now tells me, that the site is only partially encrypted and - even more strange - that the validation is unknown.

The first point - partially encrypted - could possibly be explained, because users link content to some non-encrypted sites. But I don't believe this. Do a search with a search engine which uses https-protocol and do a search. Near to sure you get also linked results to sites which use the default http-protocol, but the blue lock icon is anyway visible.

The second point is really strange and makes me think, that there is something wrong in the https-settings of the new forum.

Fingers crossed, that the problem I described in the previous post does not reappear! :twisted:

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:48 am

are you still getting any of those errors - now?
- most of them, should now be fixed up.

also2: the forum is now using a later release of the phpBB software,
- so there are some differences .. ..

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:59 am

Pierre wrote:are you still getting any of those errors - now?
I have send a mail to the forum admins - which needed several tries, until I was able to do so. You will see more information there.
If there is still something not clear, I will be ready to give all needed information - in the hope, that the forum software does not again hinder me to do so.
Pierre wrote:also2: the forum is now using a later release of the phpBB software,
Do you mean a newer software since yesterday? At least in the last 2 hours it seems unlikely, that the software has been updated. As you can see my last problem is less than 1 hour old.

At now I am obviously here and logged in. But 2 hours ago I was also logged and and then ... see above.

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Things getting far worse

Post by Maik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:02 am

Cosmo. wrote:I just wanted to edit my previous post. When I submitted it I got the message, that I have been banned, because my iP address has been misused because of spamming. That is impossible, as my current IP address cannot be used by anybody else and am I am connected to the Internet since this morning with the same address.

Next problem: Trying to log in again (after reconnecting my router to obtain a new IP address) there was the usual game with the captcha, but now no captcha got displayed, but the line to enter the signs was there. Obviously it is impossible to do so without captcha.

This is going to get dramatically.
Same problems. Tried to follow an email notif informing me of a reply to a topic I'm subscribed to, got told I was banned for spamming.

As I know I haven't spammed I tried to log in from the main page, got the usual Captcha including the entry box but with no Captcha displayed for me to type in.

Hope it's fixed or I'll just give up.

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:08 am

Cosmo. wrote: the identity of the web site is validated by COMODO CA Limited
Oh well that's really re-assuring :?

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 am

it will take a little time, to bed down any issues,
so - do persist, as we would miss any that left, during this process.

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 am

Pierre wrote:also2: the forum is now using a later release of the phpBB software
Um, isn't it a good idea to keep the forum software up-to-date rather than use an old version, as was the case.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:19 am

Pierre wrote:are you still getting any of those errors - now?

also2: the forum is now using a later release of the phpBB software,
I'm fine, the forum read the cookie on my computer and logged me in automatically, no problem. Can't speak for brand new users.

It's the forum software -- and this is a widespread problem, as in, lots of web sites -- because forums are complicated by nature. There is spam to worry about, bots, trolls, sock puppets, malware, and the list goes on. Kubuntu's forum was just one example. I never did succeed in registering there. In most forum software, the configuration menu is highly complicated. I've admin'd boards before, and it's not easy. And, some users will get all paranoid and think you're singling them out, when in reality everyone is experiencing the issue... I posted this just to give a head's up to incoming users: YOU ARE NOT ALONE... DON'T LET PARANOIA DESTROY YA... COME ON IN, THE WATER'S WARM... If I can do it, you can, too!

Oh yeah, same goes for web sites: highly complicated with many headaches. So, as to this hacking thing, well, I am unphased by it and sympathize with Linux Mint and feel like LM did the right thing coming forward and 'fessing up instead of covering up, unlike some companies and organizations. It shows integrity, honesty and courage, something not particularly common.

Back in 2010 or so, my husband's personal Wordpress blog was hacked! That infuriated me, so I brewed a lot of coffee, pulled an all-nighter, read all about web site security, learned a lot of new things, and traced the hack to Tunisia. Never went further than that in my investigating. Although I was angry, the benefit to me was I learned things. The crisis was like web site security boot camp. By 0300 hours, his site was cleansed of all malware, WP salts refreshed, ALL passwords (ftp, sql, hosting, WP) changed, file permissions for the sensitive WP files 0600'd, and new measures put in place to prevent further attempts. And to this day his blog does exactly and only what he tells it to do. But is all that effort proof against all hack attempts? No, definitely not. I don't personally know what is in the WP source code or server OS and can't confirm it is invulnerable to all future exploits, and he's on a shared hosting plan anyway, so much depends on what the host does, and it is also possible, even if unlikely, that our personal computers could be compromised by malware. I don't believe anyone that says they never worry about security because they know this and that and the other. Knowledge and preparation is no guarantee, it just helps reduce the risk. People that fault LM need to sip some coffee, read the news and get with the times. If state, local and federal branches of the U.S. Government and Fortune 500 companies get hacked, what are the odds for LM? It's amazing they've limited the damage and stopped the bleeding so fast and effectively and that inspires confidence.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

there was, indeed, moves to update the software version,
but - yes - it was moving a bit slowly,
so, this drama has simply accelerated the process, somewhat.

Return to “Newbie Questions”