After 20 attempts, finally registered on forum!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: After 20 attempts, finally registered on forum!

Post by Habitual » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:46 am

Cosmo. wrote:I happened to be in a private discussion with Habitual yesterday and I asked him on this occasion, if he is affected. His answer was no. So I wonder which factor triggers this behavior of the forum software? The IP address? Something else?
I never use Logout. I just close the tab.
If that helps, or makes any difference.

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:00 am

Habitual wrote:I never use Logout. I just close the tab.
Not sure that helps if you clear cookies when you close browser / power off PC

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 am

I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly the message board and main site were restored and I understand it'll take a little while to get things sorted completely but just FYI, I'm still having to make several attempts at logging in and the Captcha isn't clear: I've been unable to distinguish an N from a Z due to the angle, an R looked like a K because the top was cut off due to positioning, some of the characters can blend in to the background due to colouring.

rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 am

No problems with new password. So far no problems with logging in. But the last time I tried to post, it disappeared somewhere.
I logged in on the desktop and laptop at the same time to see what would happen and all is well. Both working.

Perhaps this will get posted....or not.....rumpus

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:23 am

rumpus wrote:No problems with new password. So far no problems with logging in.
Lucky you!

Got an email notif of reply to the thread, followed link in email and I had to log in to read it. Why? It's on the open forum. Still had to try several times before I could log in. Oh well, I'll be patient, must be a real PITA for the admins.

rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:42 am

Malk...tis the grand guru in the ether looking out for this analog man.
At last....r

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 am

Maik wrote:
Thanks. But I don't see this as an issue.
Power Off the PC? Are you crazy?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:07 am

Pierre wrote:so - do persist, as we would miss any that left, during this process.
The question is not if I leave. The question is, if this erroneous forum software configuration really reaches, what it told me - to be banned for one month. And if this silly peace further more gives trouble as it did a few hours ago to get in contact with the board administrators, than there will come the point, where you will miss me; blame the forum in this case.

BTW: It must really be a very stupid software or setting. At first it tells me, that I am banned for a month, with a few attempts it lets me log in and post here. Assume for a moment - just hypothetically - I would really be a spammer. You would now have much work to do to remove the spam.

This gives: At now the spam filter (let us call it so) of the forum supports the spammers and spams the supporters. :twisted:

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:20 am

Habitual wrote:
Maik wrote:
Thanks. But I don't see this as an issue.
Power Off the PC? Are you crazy?
OK, it's not an issue for you.
Sometimes I want, or need to, power off my PC. Why does that make me crazy?

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:05 pm

I had the same trouble as the OP but not to the same extent as they did, can't say I noticed " Welcome back! Please change your password! " at the top of the forum, that could do with being bigger and more obvious on the main pages really for the time being and better instructions when you try to log in, I figured it out for myself that I'd need 8 characters with one upper case letter but that's not to say that'll be obvious to everyone. I appreciate the team will have had a lot to do, and maybe a little more clarity for folks that don't know the forum's had problems or what to do about it might help. . . . . . .

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Maik wrote:OK, it's not an issue for you.
Sometimes I want, or need to, power off my PC. Why does that make me crazy?
It's a rhetorical question. Relax. :wink:

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Cosmo banned??
That's hilarious. Cosmo was the second member to reply and confirm the reports
of redirects and incorrect checksums when the anomalies were first reported, and he was the first
to backtrace to the Bulgarian server.
Cosmo--hang around, you are appreciated on these forums.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:56 pm

all41 wrote:you are appreciated on these forums.
Quoted for truth!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Thank you both.
I can tell you now, that I was not banned. Not even my IP address was banned by the forum.
I got an e-mail from the board admins as reaction to the mail I had - after some struggling with the forum software which did not want me allow to do this(!) - send to them. They told me, that there was never a ban against me or the used IP address. It was a problem with the forum software respectively its setting - or in my words: The software went crazy. This should also be solved for other user who got "banned".

What really made me nervous was the point I reached on this noon, when I was not able to log in and I was at first also not allowed to send a mail to the admins. With some persistence I finally got the mail to get submitted. But imaging I would not have been able to do this, nobody would have been able to tell, why I am suddenly absent, if I died, if I moved away (no I do not have such tendency) or if something else has happened. There was at first even a point, where I was not even allowed to read the forum logged off (only the banned site was showing) and to search for the e-mail address to contact the admins via Thunderbird. I hope, that I will never get again into such a situation. :cry:

rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Cosmo....I'm happy it got straightened out for you. I read your replies to newbies like me and it keeps me from making the same mistakes.
So....thanks to you, and other peoples mistakes, my computer is running like a champ.

thanks...rumpus

Return to “Newbie Questions”