Wiped out my Windows OS

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
trapperpete52
Level 2
Level 2

Wiped out my Windows OS

Post by trapperpete52 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:00 pm

I was trying to install Ubuntu14.04 onto my XP based Dell optiplex 320. In the process I poked the wrong command and wiped out my windows OS. I have been told I must have a windows OS to make this work. I have a new XP disc on the way but would prefer if I can to not run it at all on this machine. I confess I am a newbie trying to run before learning to walk. :oops:

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Wiped out my Windows OS

Post by Moem » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:03 pm

And do you have a question that's related to Linux Mint? If so, what is it?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

trapperpete52
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trapperpete52 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:09 pm

I have copied Mint 17.3 and am wondering if if you can run it without a windows OS installed.

SayCheeze
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SayCheeze » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:15 pm

I'm a newb. Beware.
I'm on my 2nd week of Mint. ;)

But as far as I know you can install/run Mint as a standalone OS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Professional Photographer - Portrait / Fashion
Newb Linux User...
Coffee makes me nervous when I drink it....

trapperpete52
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trapperpete52 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Great to hear. Going to go try it right now.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Oh yes, I can confirm that. You don't need Windows to run Mint. It will run fine all by itself.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

all41
Level 12
Level 12

Post by all41 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Wiped out my Windows OS
I think you may remember this as a fortunate mistake and IMO the only downside is:
I have a new XP disc on the way
I hope you will not even want or need this.
Good luck with your Mint installation.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Yes, as others have already pointed out, Linux Mint is a complete, stand-alone OS. You do not need Windows or any other software on your computer to install and use Mint. You just need to make a bootable Mint DVD or USB drive to start your computer with, and from there you will be able to install Mint to your system hard drive.

In fact, I would highly recommend that. Windows XP is end of life and no longer supported by Microsoft. Running Windows XP now is just asking to be hacked. Even when XP was supported it was a terribly insecure OS that got exploited many times. I never understood why people liked XP. It was XP that drove me away from Windows because I got sick of all the security issues.

I've been running Mint for almost 10 years now and I'm still happy with it.
Everyone thinks I'm crazy (except my friends deep inside the earth).

trapperpete52
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trapperpete52 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Well dang it, Mint would not load for me but did get Ubuntu to load and am on it now. It has a serious glitch that keeps flashing the back ground. I hope I can get th emint to load here. Maybe th edisc was corrupted. Will go try to burn a new one. Thanks for the help and information.

SayCheeze
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SayCheeze » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Download this program.
http://unetbootin.github.io/

Once downloaded, run it, and pick the OS that you desire from above. Put in a writeable CD or USB stick, and tell it to load the OS you choose there. Once done, reboot with the CD/Stick, and click install OS. It will let you install Mint or which ever OS you choose on your hard drive, all the while wiping it clean.

Just a suggestion. That's how I got started.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Professional Photographer - Portrait / Fashion
Newb Linux User...
Coffee makes me nervous when I drink it....

PcMojo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PcMojo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:43 pm

If you can get Mint running there is a link to the #linuxmint-help chatroom on the welcome screen (or use SpotChat server #linuxmint-help) or Mibbit web based client to connect. There are usually several people there who can walk you through installation in real time!
Mint Help IRC https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/12

Good luck & welcome to Mint!
Mint 17.3 with Cinnamon on a Dell D620 laptop.

You are free the instant you want to be!

trapperpete52
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trapperpete52 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:25 pm

No luck getting it to boot even back to Ubuntu now. All I get is a blinking white dash at the top left of the monitor. I went to the link to make the USB stick and reformated. It didn't give me the fat 32 option but an EXFAT was default. I downloaded then sent to the USB stick. Took it to the one I wasnt to download to. It didn't boot. I went into the boot sector and highlighted the usb cd boot but said is unavailable.

This is a Dell. I just shut off the fast boot option as had read it can interfere with some processes. Specs are Intel duo Optiplex 320 1.6 GHZ operating speed. 2 GIG ram 800 MHZ Bios version 1.1.9 64 bit in bios has a 5 item list

1 onboard USB Floppy Not present
2 onboard SATA shows blank
3 onboard PATA hard drive not present
4 onboard networkk controller not present
5 USB device not present
Was built in 07
Last edited by trapperpete52 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Can you just confirm exactly what you're trying as it's not too clear.
What program are you using to burn your iso to USB and are you going into the BIOS and changing the boot order when you try each time. Has the machine got a UEFI bios, if you managed to get ubuntu to boot off the USB then there's no good reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same with Mint but give a bit more detail as to the specifics so people can help you better.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:53 pm

This may also help, or maybe clarify the process hopefully:

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/8 ... ecure-boot

trapperpete52
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trapperpete52 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:03 pm

The way I got ubuntu o run was a live session which now will not work. No idea why it did that once after I wacked out the XP OS. The program I used to do the USB was what ever is standard on windows 7 on the wife's computer. The Dell 320 won't boot from either the DVD that ran the live session but glitchy nor the USB. We nt into BIOS to try to get it to recognize the USB or to get it to boot with the CD or from the hard drive being I had loaded it to the hard drive.

Now it goes through the POST and all I get is a blinking white dash at the top left corner of the monitor.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:48 pm

What I'd suggest if you've had it running once is get on another machine and use Unetbootin to burn an ISO to it and get your ISO from the main mint downloads site, burn the USB, then make sure that your BIOS is set up right to boot from it.

My desktop has an Asus mobo with a UEFI bios, and if memory serves, each time I want to boot from USB I have to go into it and make sure it's pointing to it, it's not like the old bios types that I'm more used to and it doesn't seem to remember the order I changed it to all the time. It's got to be something and nothing cos you've done it once so it's a matter of replicating that process, try searching for booting linux off of your particular mobo in case there's any kind of peculiarity. Download via a torrent if you can for authenticity and make sure you get the right version for your machine 32/64 bit, make sure it's burning an image not a file if you use something other than unetbootin, stack the odds in your favour ................ there's no good reason why you can't get this to work and it will be worth it. You can't break anything by altering a few settings here and there, just be mindful of what changes you are making search/investigate/read thru the link I posted and post back with your progress and good luck :wink:

trapperpete52
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trapperpete52 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 pm

OK went and burnt a new copy using a windows 10 machine. Got it using a torrent. Burnt it using the default program that comes with windows 10. Some reason this machine doesn't recognize it a a viable boot. I have another hard drive in the same machine now with windows XP. I put the disc in and fired it up. No go. The BIOS doesn't seem to let me change to another sequence or at least I am not hitting the proper sweet spot.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:49 pm

trapperpete52 wrote:No luck getting it to boot even back to Ubuntu now. All I get is a blinking white dash at the top left of the monitor. I went to the link to make the USB stick and reformated. It didn't give me the fat 32 option but an EXFAT was default. I downloaded then sent to the USB stick. Took it to the one I wasnt to download to. It didn't boot. I went into the boot sector and highlighted the usb cd boot but said is unavailable.

This is a Dell. I just shut off the fast boot option as had read it can interfere with some processes. Specs are Intel duo Optiplex 320 1.6 GHZ operating speed. 2 GIG ram 800 MHZ Bios version 1.1.9 64 bit in bios has a 5 item list

1 onboard USB Floppy Not present
2 onboard SATA shows blank
3 onboard PATA hard drive not present
4 onboard networkk controller not present
5 USB device not present
Was built in 07
And it's not going to. You don't boot from the ISO. It has to be "burned image" to a DVD, or use a program that loads it properly to the USB flashdrive (Unetbootin, Universal USB Installer, Rufus,...) An ISO file is similar to a zip file in that it's an "image" of the way things should be placed onto a USB drive or burned onto a DVD.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:52 pm

trapperpete52 wrote:The way I got ubuntu o run was a live session which now will not work. No idea why it did that once after I wacked out the XP OS. The program I used to do the USB was what ever is standard on windows 7 on the wife's computer. The Dell 320 won't boot from either the DVD that ran the live session but glitchy nor the USB. We nt into BIOS to try to get it to recognize the USB or to get it to boot with the CD or from the hard drive being I had loaded it to the hard drive.

Now it goes through the POST and all I get is a blinking white dash at the top left corner of the monitor.
Go to that windows 7 computer, to pendrivelinux.com, download and install the Universal USB Installer program. Use that to put the image from the ISO file onto the USB flashdrive. You should then be able to boot to it. If using an UEFI computer, then by all means use only a 64 bit Mint ISO.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”