Getting Started with Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nukeman4444
Level 1
Level 1

Getting Started with Mint

Post by nukeman4444 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 pm

I have an older Toshiba Satellite A15-S127 laptop with 750MB of memory, 2 GHZ processor and a 30 GB hard drive. I have made several attempts to load the 32 bit version of mint wiping my hard drive. It appears to work but it runs very slow. It appears to be running off my disc drive most of the time rather than my hard drive. I am not able to eject my disc drive either. Any advise would be appreciated.

Carl

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Getting Started with Mint

Post by all41 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Carl,
This sounds like you are not getting Mint installed, but running live mode from the dvd.
Which Mint desktop did you choose? Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE??
I see that you are new here--welcome to the group.
More information will be needed. Do you know how to open a terminal? take and post a screenshot?
Tell us more--

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 pm

"it appears to be running off my disc drive most of the time rather than my hard drive. I am not able to eject my disc drive either" All normal until the OS is installed to the hard disk and booted from there...it's not clear whether you have got to that stage yet. Running off hard disk (20MB/s) will be much nicer than running off DVD (2MB/s).

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/toshiba ... dd-series/
Windows XP era...so XFCE or Mate version of Mint would be suitable. You did not say which desktop version you are using.

"It appears to work but it runs very slow." Yes. It will be USB1 (1MiB/s) and the DVD won't be much faster (2MB/s) and you are installing an OS ten times bigger than the original. Patience Luke.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

nukeman4444
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nukeman4444 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:30 pm

I am trying to run Cinnamon. Is there any way I can get it to not run from the disk?

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Normally you would boot to the dvd and after you see a desktop double click the Install Linux Mint icon to start the process of installing to your hard drive.
When that completes you will be presented with a choice to continue testing or restart. If you choose restart option you will be prompted when to
remove the dvd -then press enter, the computer will restart and when the desktop returns Mint should be running from the hd.
Is this not happening for you?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Cinnamon with that amount of RAM will not be enjoyable, if it runs at all. If I were you, I'd try XFCE.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

nukeman4444
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nukeman4444 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:02 pm

How to I run xfce. I assume I can get it on a thumb drive. How do I get it to boot from cinnamon?

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:13 pm

nukeman4444 wrote:How to I run xfce. I assume I can get it on a thumb drive. How do I get it to boot from cinnamon?
Xfce is a version of a desktop environment that Linux Mint is offered in, just as Cinnamon is a version. Xfce is better suited for older architectures than Cinnamon is.

More Info: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2977

Joe

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:27 pm

I would also advise to create a live USB stick, it's faster. You will enjoy this speed when installing. And you can reuse the stick.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

nukeman4444
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nukeman4444 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:30 pm

I only have cinnamon on my machinge now. How do I boot a new operating system using cinnamon from a thumb drive?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 pm

If you have Mint [with Cinnamon] installed on your machine, why do you want to boot it from a USB stick?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

nukeman4444
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nukeman4444 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Cinnamon will not run correctly on my machine. See above.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:25 pm

If it doesn't run well when it's installed on your machine, it won't run well on your machine from a USBstick either. I would advise you to replace your current Mint Cinnamon with Mint XFCE.

Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Georgia boy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 am

Nukeman444
The reason everyone is suggesting that you get Mint's XFCE is because it's what we'd call a lightweight DE compared to the other DE's of Mint and might be a better choice to work on your system than Cinnamon, KDE, Mate or what have you. I myself run XFCE. It's nice and I run that DE no matter what distro of GNU/Linux I happen to run at the time.

Download and burn the XFCE and give that a try instead. You might realize what a good DE it is and be happy with it. Might not have all the bells and whistles of the others but it will surprise you of it's capability. Should be perfect for the system you're trying to install Cinnamon on.
Debian testing
Hp Pav a1440n
820 Intel Pent D procces 2 process cores, 2.0GB mem,250GB HD, NVIDA GeForce 7300LE, Intel ViiV.
ASUS A53SD-TS72 Intel Cor i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, Mint LMDE2 64 bit.

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 am

nukeman4444 wrote:Is there any way I can get it to not run from the disk?
Let's say you have an operating system on the hard drive AND you have an OS on a disc sitting in your DVD drive. If the boot order in your BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive before the HD then when you start up your computer it will boot and run from the operating system on the DVD drive. If you don't have an operating system on the hard drive but you do have one on the DVD, then chances are you will also boot from the DVD (depending on the BIOS settings).

The simple fix to your question above is to eject your DVD disc. Double click on the Computer icon on the desktop, find your DVD icon and right click on it, then click on eject. Or, use the button on the DVD drive. Or try the paper clip method. Once your disc is removed you can try booting up from your HD. If Cinnamon is installed on the HD it will run faster than a DVD, but still slower than Xfce.

If your DVD drive is funky then that is another reason to burn the LInux ISO to a USB drive. However, some old computer will not let you boot from a USB, so check that out in the BIOS.

Creating an install DVD or USB drive for Linux Mint Xfce may be easier on another (working) computer.
------------------

Do you know how to set the boot order via the BIOS? If not, read about that in general (do a Google search) and see this for Toshiba computers.

nukeman4444
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nukeman4444 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:14 pm

OK I got the old disk with cinnamon out, downloaded xfse, put it on another disk, and put it in the drive. It appears that cinnamon is running on my hard drive but it is very slow. When cinnamon is booting up how do I get it to boot from the drive so I can install xfse?

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:21 pm

You should directly install the version with XFCE. Don't use an Cinnamon iso to install Mint and then install XFCE. This would not be really clean.

The XFCE iso is available and should be your choice.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:11 pm

To install Xfce your Xfce DVD must control the computer, not the operating system on your internal hard drive.

First let's make sure you are running Cinnamon and not Xfce. If you don't see an icon that says "Install" on the desktop then you are probably running from the hard drive (Cinnamon) not the DVD (Xfce).

You can check more thoroughly by clicking on the green Linux Mint icon in the lower left corner of the panel bar. A window will pop up with a search box. Type "system" (without the quotes) in the search box. Some icons will appear in the right column. Do you see one that says "System Info"? If so, you are running Cinnamon. Verify it by clicking on the icon. A new window will pop up and your Operating System information will be displayed.

If you don't see "System Info" but you do see "System Profiler & Benchmark" then you are running Xfce off of your DVD. Clicking on that icon and again on "Operating System" and that will display your information. Let us know the outcome.

You could get the same information and more by opening up the Terminal, maximizing the window, and typing in "inxi -Fxz" (with the quotes) and pressing the <Enter> key. [Note: after inxi (all lower case) there is a space, a hyphen, and an upper case F. The rest is lower case.] Then copy the output from that terminal command and paste it back in a reply to this thread. To copy from the terminal use Edit > Select all and Edit > Copy.

Again, the command is

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Next try this, restart your computer with the Linux Mint Xfce live/install DVD still in the drive. Check what operating system boots up by one of the means above. If Xfce is not running the show then you will have to change the boot order within your BIOS. You usually get the BIOS by pressing the F2, F8 or F12 key after you start your computer.

Return to “Newbie Questions”