Grub issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jshellz123
Level 1
Level 1

Grub issues

Post by jshellz123 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm

So I have two drives in my laptop. One his a 320gb hdd with windows 10 on it. The second is a 64gb ssd. I burned the mint iso onto a flashdrive and installed mint onto the ssd. Everything runs fine, but when booting the ssd, grub never appears to let me choose which OS to boot. Ive done a little digging and it appears that this is because grub doesn't automatically recognize volumes on a different drive. Can somebody help me? Thanks!

What I've tried so far:
apt-get update and apt-get upgrade
checked that GRUB_TIMOUT is not -1 in /etc/default/grub
grub-update

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Grub issues

Post by mintybits » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:15 pm

When you run "sudo update-grub" is the Windows OS listed in the output?
If yes, then the problem is with the Grub menu...does a Grub menu appear at all or is it that W10 is missing from the Grub menu?

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Hello jshellz123 - Try booting into Mint, then open the Terminal and enter " sudo os-prober ". Look at the output and see if the message "Windows loader on /dev/sd...." appears. If it does, then enter " sudo update-grub " (not grub-update!). If no message about Windows appears, please post back.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

jshellz123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jshellz123 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:56 pm

mintybits wrote:When you run "sudo update-grub" is the Windows OS listed in the output?
If yes, then the problem is with the Grub menu...does a Grub menu appear at all or is it that W10 is missing from the Grub menu?
Windows 10 is not listed. When booting a grub menu does not appear at all.
Derek_S wrote:Hello jshellz123 - Try booting into Mint, then open the Terminal and enter " sudo os-prober ". Look at the output and see if the message "Windows loader on /dev/sd...." appears. If it does, then enter " sudo update-grub " (not grub-update!). If no message about Windows appears, please post back.
The only output is "No volume groups found"

Return to “Newbie Questions”