Update Manager and the Red ""X"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Update Manager and the Red ""X"

Post by JazzAzz »

I keep getting that RED "X" in my Update manager. I CLOSE it, re-open, it is OK for awhile, but happens again a short time later???

This happened awhile back, where a few of us were reporting the same, and eventually got fixed apparently by the powers that be, but I am getting tired of having to do this (Me on Mint 17)
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Update Manager and the Red ""X"

Post by InkKnife »

What error message is displayed?
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Without a clear error message, it will be difficult to fix anything.

Two ideas:
1) if you use Chrome, please look here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=217783

2) The repo may be temporary in a faulty mode (hash sum mismatch) after an update has been pushed to them. You just need to wait, this is normal, ongoing process. The error will be solved in a couple of hours maximum.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

As stated above, without any error message specifics, we can't really do anything but guess.

My guess would be that you are using the google chrome browser. If you are using the 32-bit version of chrome, google is no longer supporting it and you need to switch to another browser. viewtopic.php?f=143&t=214847

If you are using the 64-bit version, you can edit the sources list for chrome as a temporary fix.

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
Add [arch=amd64] after deb, as follows:

deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
Save, exit and update, and you should no longer be receiving the error. Someone in another post said that this fix might be temporary (google may overwrite it) and may have to be repeated later.

If you are using the 32-bit chrome and want to switch to an alternate, but very similar browser (or just want a more permanent fix) you can use chromium browser. Chromium is the open source browser that chrome is based upon, so it is very similar, and will even sync your google account settings.

To install chromium browser...

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
sudo apt-get install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser-l10n
The last two add A/V codecs for content playback, and additional language support (if you want those).

Once you log into your google account, chromium should sync all your chrome preferences, bookmarks and add-ons. This will work even if you have already uninstalled chrome, providing you have a google account (and have it set to backup your data).
Everyone thinks I'm crazy (except my friends deep inside the earth).
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

InkKnife wrote:What error message is displayed?

Never see an error message, or I just don't know where to look :-), sorry
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

Just got it again and this is what I get:

http://s22.postimg.org/8xgzhbbpt/Screen ... _33_37.png
grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler »

As expected, the answer was given by Lolo Uila in the post above yours.
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

grizzler wrote:As expected, the answer was given by Lolo Uila in the post above yours.

Yes, thanks for pointing that post out, but is a moot point for my issue, since I did install and began using CHROMIUM which is supported, and I UNINSTALLED Chrome.

Now why am I not getting emails notifying me about replies to my posts. I had opted for that in my acct.???, Weird.

Any way thanks for any help y'all.

Guess I will have to continue to live with it, CLOSING the manager, then re-opening it, till I replace my near 10 yr. old desktop. Thinking about going with Apple, usually too costly, but their Mac Mini, the one model with 8G of RAM and a 1TB HD, is not all that unreasonable. I will never ever go back to Windows. Presently typing on my Chromebook.

OK, now I am reminded that there is a box below to check if I want to be emailed :-)
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

If you want to get helped, you need to provide information.
First of all, please post the output of

inxi -Sr
Second, if you have a 32 bits system, you need to remove the repo and chrome from your system. As I said earlier, the answer has been posted several times on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=217783#p1140036
This will remove the red cross.

If you have a 64bits system, you can still use Chrome. Simply apply the fix posted earlier in this topic to force the architecture to 64bits.

For the notifications, we are aware of the problem and the team is trying to fix it.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

killer de bug wrote:If you want to get helped, you need to provide information.
First of all, please post the output of

inxi -Sr
Second, if you have a 32 bits system, you need to remove the repo and chrome from your system. As I said earlier, the answer has been posted several times on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=217783#p1140036
This will remove the red cross.

If you have a 64bits system, you can still use Chrome. Simply apply the fix posted earlier in this topic to force the architecture to 64bits.

For the notifications, we are aware of the problem and the team is trying to fix it.

Thanks, but A) I have shared all I get in a previous post, no error # included, and

B) I have already REMOVED CHROME as I said, weeks ago after installing CHROMIUM). My Desktop is 32 bit.

I will check out that URL you shared, however, thanks.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Go to software sources and un-check Google-chrome in the Additional repository list.
that's if you had installed chrome before.

editing the /etc/apt/source.d.list will not be saved, whenever chrome is run it will revert to the old entry.

Disadvantage to un-checking chrome entry in software repositories is that you'll have to manually update chrome when an update become available.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

kc1di wrote:Go to software sources and un-check Google-chrome in the Additional repository list.
that's if you had installed chrome before.

editing the /etc/apt/source.d.list will not be saved, whenever chrome is run it will revert to the old entry.

Disadvantage to un-checking chrome entry in software repositories is that you'll have to manually update chrome when an update become available.

Software sources, or software manager??? Unchecking won't hurt me since I never plan to re-install Chrome. CHROMIUM is essentially the same thing.

Thanks again. Will check out first thing Monday. My usual way of doing things is to not deal with my desktop, only booting up this chromebook on weekends. No matter what they said concerning resources needed for Mint 17, my desktop is a slow POS>>LOL. And I maxed out its' RAM to 2G from its' original 512MBs back when I bought it Apr 2006 (Not the upgrade, that came a bit later). And I expect too much of it with SEVERAL tabs going at once.

I love my Chromebook though :-)
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

software Sources :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

kc1di wrote:software Sources :)

Thanks I will check that out :-)
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Software Sources is found under Edit of the menu bar of Update Manager.

The potential errors people mentioned earlier include the "Failed to fetch" message for Chrome that showed up in your Update Manager.

It isn't surprising that a 2006 desktop with 2GB of RAM is slow by today's standards, but are you trying to run Cinnamon on that machine? If so, try Mint Xfce or one of the small Linux OS such as the ones mentioned in this article.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/softwa ... os-1295034
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

Superannuated wrote:Software Sources is found under Edit of the menu bar of Update Manager.

The potential errors people mentioned earlier include the "Failed to fetch" message for Chrome that showed up in your Update Manager.

It isn't surprising that a 2006 desktop with 2GB of RAM is slow by today's standards, but are you trying to run Cinnamon on that machine? If so, try Mint Xfce or one of the small Linux OS such as the ones mentioned in this article.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/softwa ... os-1295034

Thanks but no more OS changes on that machine till it is replaced. Came with Windows XP which I said, YOU'RE FIRED," long ago. Plus I suspect that downloading another OS to it, then converting it to something a disc could use would be a PIA using Linux, since I am NO LINUX expert>>LOL
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

JazzAzz wrote: I suspect that downloading another OS to it, then converting it to something a disc could use would be a PIA using Linux, since I am NO LINUX expert>>LOL
Not at all. If you use a USBstick, it means using a tool that you already have on your machine: Startup Disk Creator. Easy as pie and I'm no expert, either.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JazzAzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JazzAzz »

OK guys, I booted up my desktop, cause y'all made me keep thinking about it. Went to that, "Software Sources," unchecked and removed it. I hope that solves it for good. If it doesn't will let y'all know, but shut that machine down again till Monday.

Also looked in the menu under ALL APPLICATIONS, on mine at least, there is no, "Startup Disc Creator. I looked under, "Administration also, no go.

Well back Offline, Movie time>>>Bye

Thanks for y'all's help.
Hall1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hall1 »

I'm having this same issue. Here is the error message that comes up when I get the red X in the Update Manager (I'm running Mint 17):

Could not refresh the list of updates.
W:Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/d ... le/Release Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-1386/Packages' in release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file), E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old one used instead.

Any help is appreciated. Nothing seems to be wrong with the computer's performance, just not getting the typical daily updates.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Hall1 wrote:I'm having this same issue.
Then you'll find the solution in this very thread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”