"Linux Mint Disk is likely to fail soon (30° C/86° F)"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ormus
Level 2
Level 2

"Linux Mint Disk is likely to fail soon (30° C/86° F)"

Post by ormus »

I went into the Disk application to do something and saw these words:

LINUX MINT DISK IS LIKELY TO FAIL SOON (30° C/86° F)

How do I diagnose this? The laptop in question is not that old. Lenovo Ideapad Z500.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: "LINUX MINT DISK IS LIKELY TO FAIL SOON (30° C/86° F)"

Post by Cosmo. »

Before you invest time in anything else: Do a complete backup of your home. If the drive should stop working, it is too late. :!:

pioruns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pioruns »

Your hard drive most probably have a few bad sectors (regions on surface that cannot be read or written, so they've been marked "bad"). Hard drives with bad sectors are not reliable, generally shouldn't be used as main drives, only for testing/backup/recovery/repair or other professional use.
Please press CTL +S in Disks program, it will take you to SMART report, please do screenshot for us, to we can diagnose more.
And be ready to replace your hard drive soon :)
System: LMDE AMD64
Hardware: HP ProBook 4545s
AMD A8-4500M APU, 8GB RAM
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

ormus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ormus »

Thanks for the input. I'm now on another machine, don't currently have any free storage.

Does this problem actually have anything to do with the temperature of the machine?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

ormus wrote:Does this problem actually have anything to do with the temperature of the machine?
No. This is not an abnormal temperature at all. It's just two separate parts of the status of the disk.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

ormus wrote:Does this problem actually have anything to do with the temperature of the machine?
No, the temperature is fine. But that doesn't make the problem smaller.

ormus
Level 2
Level 2

Re: "Linux Mint Disk is likely to fail soon (30° C/86° F)"

Post by ormus »

OK will try and sort out some storage first.

ormus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ormus »

Miraculously, after having been unable to turn this machine on for a month, it decided to start.

I've backed up what I needed, so here is the screenshot of the SMART data that was requested:
https://imgur.com/a/TfoT4

Wondering whether it's possible that I might be able to keep this hard disk working for another couple of months somehow?

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The screen shot doesn't show any SMART parameter as 'failed', just the disks assessment...and [sarcasm] we all know how robust and reliable the disk application is [/sarcasm]. I would dig out the SeaTools boot disk and let the manufacturer's software do the assessment.

Of course you need duplicates of your original work offline...not all of it...OS files and downloads are easy to replace.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The red message says it all: This drive is not reliable anymore. It can fail in between the next minutes or in the next year - you have no chance to control that. Make a complete backup immediately(!) and prepare to replace it soon.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The red message is based on one SMART parameter; the drive is having big problems reading. All the other signs of an ailing disk are missing though :? It might be a droopy power supply, or a bad ground connection, for example.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

The read error rate is marked as failing but you in fact also have a huge write error rate. Interestingly though the reallocated sector count is still 0. This might suggest that the issue is an interface- rather than disk-proper one. That is: I would certainly open up the machine and check the SATA cable and connector. Wobbly?

I've had disks "heal themselves" by running a firmware-level erase on them, available to be issued from the hdparm --security commands. Supposedly in that case by the disk internally retiring bad sectors though while such might not be relevant here -- but if you don't mind fully erasing the drive, partitions and all, we/you could try.

First the cable-thingy though... :)

ormus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ormus »

Ok thanks to all for the advice. I already backed everything up, I'm just a bit afraid to turn it off now in case it does what happened before.

Will have a look into this SeaTools thing tomorrow and see if it tells me anything else. I see it is connected to the firm Seagate... which presumably my machine has some part of made by?

The power supply connector does stick out a bit, but when I press it in nothing noticeable changes on the SMART log. Is there something else I was supposed to do to diagnose this?

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

I see it is connected to the firm Seagate... which presumably my machine has some part of made by?
Your failing disk, even. We can just see the type ST1000[...] in your screenshot. And no, just make sure that cabling is firm (if you can see/reach both ends, at both ends) but the seatools should indeed provide for the most useful diagnostics for your drive.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Your screenshot shows ST1000LM024 which is a Seagate product.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-sea ... ompatible-

I use this CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ which can do Seagate and Western Digital drives with very little resources needed.

If you can test it on some disposable machine that has a good track record, you eliminate Power Supply wobblies and avoid a real Drive-Failure-In-Progress taking out the RAM or CPU as it goes.

Seatools may not be able to address a drive that is not connected to the motherboard SATA...not in a USB pod if possible.

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

A replacement drive (same manufacturer and model) will cost ~$60 delivered from Amazon.

Now that you have your data backed up - shut down the machine and do the connector - disconnect and reconnect routine and see if that works. If it does, you're good to go. If it doesn't work, I would try to clone the HD (disk-to-disk) using Clonezilla to its identical replacement (above).

If something else is bad in the SATA connection (like a MB problem) but the disk is otherwise good, you might try booting the machine with the the HD connected to the machine using a USB connector like THIS.

Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”