Getting Mint live to Mount a hard disk with a frozen Windows boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SteveH_66
Level 2
Level 2

Getting Mint live to Mount a hard disk with a frozen Windows boot

Post by SteveH_66 »

Here's the situation. I did something stupid while my system was on, not going to tell you what it was, but Windows 7 got 'hung up' in hibernation. Someone told me that I could delete some file in windows and it should boot up. Right now it's saying I need to restore my Windows install. I don't really care about my Windows install though, I'm going Linux only.

I can get to the hard disk with live disks, but the only thing I seem to be able to do is use something like PhotoRec or some other program to 'recover' them and save them to another disk. Mint running on a Live disc finds it but won't mount it because it says it is hung up in hibernation. Getting the stuff off with PhotoRec will take hours and hours. If I can get the disk mounted, I can copy in an hour or so, maybe less.

So, now my question is this. Is there any way to get Mint to mount it anyway so I can copy my data off? Thanks

Edit: Or would having Mint 'force' it to mount or whatever damage the file system or something maybe and that's why the Mint Live CD's don't want to mount it?
System 1: Acer-Aspire V3-472P-324J. Hardware : 14" Touch Screen dual-band 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz Acer Nplify wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g/n); BT 4.0; OS : Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa; Kernel: 4.4.0-96 (64 bit) MATE 1.12.0

Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Getting Mint live to Mount a hard disk with a frozen Windows boot

Post by Laurent85 »

Try to mount read-only, replace <partition id> with corresponding ntfs partition id:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -o ro /dev/<partition id> /mnt

MaxL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MaxL »

I am having a similar issue, my USB 3.0 SATA enclosure would not mount on Linux Mint 17.3. Would like to try to mount read-only the way Laurent suggested. Question: since, unlike in Steve's case, my USB enclosure does not even show up on Mint, how do I figure out the Partition ID needed for the "sudo mount" command?

Thanks!

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The output of the inxi command recommended here...http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444...will show if the drive is visible to the kernel. If it is, you get the /dev/sdX hardware handle to examine the partition structure...

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdX
Or you can install the gparted application and use it to do the same with point-and-click.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Laurent85 »

MaxL wrote: how do I figure out the Partition ID needed for the "sudo mount" command?
See this command results, will list available drive partitions and ids:

sudo lsblk -o name,model,size,uuid,fstype,label,mountpoint
The drive partition id is available in the first column, for example sdb1, the command would then be sudo mount -o ro /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Return to “Newbie Questions”