When play video the system auto log out

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Bebo
Level 1
Level 1

When play video the system auto log out

Post by Bebo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:24 am

Hi everybody, I'm new on Linux OSs. I recently installed Linux 13 Maya on my Fujitsu Simens Esprimo Mobile V5535. Every time that I play videos (with different softwares) the system auto log out. :(

I've tried many time to resolve this problem, and I checked many posts; but I couldn't fix the problem, so far....could, please, somebody helps me?

thanks in advance :)

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Re: When play video the system auto log out

Post by Radish » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:11 am

Hi Bebo,

You don't say what "edition" of Mint you are using. Is it Cinnamon, Mate, KDE or XFCE? Letting people know this helps them help you.

If you are using Cinnamon try the following. (If you're not using Cinnamon then just look for the equivalent routine in whatever edition of Mint you are using):

1) Click on (Start) Menu > Preferences > Applets
2) When the Applets dialogue window opens look for the applet titled "Inhibit Applet", click on it (to highlight/select it) then click on the "Add to Panel" button. The applet interface will be added to the system panel ('system tray' in Windows-speak) at the bottom right-hand side of your monitor screen.
3) To use the Inhibit Applet to stop your system from going into suspend (whatever) when you want to watch a movie just left-click the applet in the Panel Tray and turn "Power Management" to "Off".

I can't think why your movie playing software isn't stopping the system from going into suspend/screen-saver (whatever) when a movie is being watched. I use VLC to watch movies and it does automatically prevent my system from suspending while watching a movie.

You could also have a look at the settings you have for Power Management on your system. Maybe adjusting those will help in solving this for you. Go (Start) Menu > Preferences > Power Management and adjust the settings there.

Why are you using such an old version (13) of Mint?
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

Bebo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bebo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Radish, thanks for helping me!! I installed Mint 13 Maya edition XFCE...At first, I installed the last version of Mint on my old laptop, therefore I had resolution problems. I resolved the problem following this topic viewtopic.php?t=191951: I installed Mint 13 and a graphic driver and everything works well.
I fixed some other issues, but I couldn't fix this problem with the videos. Whenever I run a video, after a bunch of seconds, the system auto log out...I couldn't find the equivalent routine of the first advice that you gave me; but, to me, the problem looks like related to the graphic card...what do you think?
Thanks in advance,
Bebo

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 am

I'm a newbie at Mint myself and this graphics card issue is beyond my skill level. Ah well. Maybe someone will come along shortly and give expert advice. Maybe they will know how to give "Inhibit Applet" on XFCE at try. Though if it is a graphics card issue then a fix (not a work-around) might be possible.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

Bebo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bebo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm

If could help: I noticed that I have the same problem with skype, but not with the you tube videos...

Bebo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bebo » Mon May 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Could please somebody help me?? this is a really difficult issue

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in » Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 am

SiS video is problematic in Linux
you can check your video card with terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
I have old notebook from 2007 with SIS Graphic Card and it performance with linux desktop is abysmal .

BTW. There is guide that maybe help you : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sis
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.

Return to “Newbie Questions”