Alternatives to Caja?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Alternatives to Caja?

Post by jrioux »

I'm a newbie using Mint 17.3 and while I like aspects of Caja, other things don't quite cut it for me. Alternatively, I just may not know Caja well enough.

Anyway, I've used Total Commander (TC) for years in Windows and would like to either configure Caja to act more like TC or find an alternative that does. At a minimum, I'm looking for the following for the following abilities:

1 - to easily select multiple files (in TC you can select a group of file by mousing over them with the right button pressed)
2 - to use copied text when renaming a file (when I try pasting into or over a filename in Caja, I get a copy of the file where I got the text)
3 - to rename multiple files at the same time (TC has very flexible and powerful Multi-Rename Tool)

I also want the alternative file manager to be able to copy files to and from phones and tablets that are attached to my computer with a USB cable.

Thanks.

Jerry

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Alternatives to Caja?

Post by LinuxJim »

jrioux wrote: I've used Total Commander (TC) for years in Windows and would like to either configure Caja to act more like TC or find an alternative that does.
You could try gnome-commander or double-commander. They both work very similarly to Total Commander. For the command line, there is also Midnight Commander.

jrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrioux »

Thanks. Have you used either gnome-commander or double-commander, Jim?

Do they have the features I asked about and are they available in Mint's software package?

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Two results from today's efforts which you may want to avoid...
o If you remove caja from a Mint Rosa Mate system, the desktop icons will vanish too.
o If you add nemo to a Mint Rosa Mate system, the fonts for lots of other applications go squiffy...readable but badly sized or badly spaced.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim »

jrioux wrote:Thanks. Have you used either gnome-commander or double-commander, Jim?

Do they have the features I asked about and are they available in Mint's software package?
Yes, I have used them both, as well as Krusader from KDE. I believe they all have the features you listed. I prefer gnome-commander myself, but I believe double-commander comes closest to being a 'clone' of TC.

SOCRATE_MMXII
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII »

You can use Krusader which can be made to behave just like Total Commander, even though you don't use KDE as your desktop environment.
I am the Light, the Way, the Life.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I've used alternate file managers before but, as some have mentioned, it's never going to work as well as the one that came wth the DE. I won't do it anymore. Most file managers are highly integrated with the desktop. The only DE I might make an exception with would be LXDE which isn't highly integrated.

jrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrioux »

Mute Ant wrote:Two results from today's efforts which you may want to avoid...
o If you remove caja from a Mint Rosa Mate system, the desktop icons will vanish too.
o If you add nemo to a Mint Rosa Mate system, the fonts for lots of other applications go squiffy...readable but badly sized or badly spaced.
Thanks for the warnings. I guess Iwon't delete Caja. I'll also look up and avoid nemo.

jrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrioux »

LinuxJim wrote:Yes, I have used them both, as well as Krusader from KDE. I believe they all have the features you listed. I prefer gnome-commander myself, but I believe double-commander comes closest to being a 'clone' of TC.
Thanks again. That narrows the field. I guess I should try all three. Are they all available from within Mint or do they need to be installed separately. (I'm not sure of the correct terms7.)

jrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrioux »

Hoser Rob wrote:I've used alternate file managers before but, as some have mentioned, it's never going to work as well as the one that came wth the DE. I won't do it anymore. Most file managers are highly integrated with the desktop. The only DE I might make an exception with would be LXDE which isn't highly integrated.
Thanks for the warning. Linux has a steep learning curve and I'd like to find programs that act in familiar ways if I can.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim »

jrioux wrote:Thanks again. That narrows the field. I guess I should try all three. Are they all available from within Mint or do they need to be installed separately. (I'm not sure of the correct terms7.)
No problem. Yes, they're all in the Mint repos. You can use Synaptic to install them, or apt-get install from the terminal. I'm not sure if you'll find them in Software Manager (not on my Mint machine at the moment to check).

Krusader may be less than optimal unless you're running KDE. The others are DE-independent.

jrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrioux »

LinuxJim wrote:No problem. Yes, they're all in the Mint repos. You can use Synaptic to install them, or apt-get install from the terminal. I'm not sure if you'll find them in Software Manager (not on my Mint machine at the moment to check).

Krusader may be less than optimal unless you're running KDE. The others are DE-independent.
Good. I haven't used Synaptic, only Software Manager, which is wonderful, BTW. Actually, I did install one program from a website over a year ago when I tried Linux once before. Thanks.

jrioux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrioux »

Thanks everyone. I've been using Krusader and it does pretty much everything I want the way I like, except...

The only problem is that it won't recognize my Samsung tablet. Caja, however, does recognize it. Someone posted that there can only be one MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) connection, so I'm reading up on MTP to see if the connection to Caja is my problem. I've been warned not to delete Caja because it's integral to the DE, so I'm not sure what to do.

Window is so much easier to use.

theStreak
Level 3
Level 3

Post by theStreak »

jrioux wrote:1 - to easily select multiple files (in TC you can select a group of file by mousing over them with the right button pressed)

Of course, there are lots of keyboard shortcuts to help here but also, in Caja's Edit menu the "Select Items Matching..." option will allow you to select based on wildcards.
jrioux wrote:2 - to use copied text when renaming a file (when I try pasting into or over a filename in Caja, I get a copy of the file where I got the text)
You need to select the file and right-click / "rename" it first. Then, when in renaming mode, you can paste the copied file name to replace all or part of the original.
jrioux wrote:3 - to rename multiple files at the same time (TC has very flexible and powerful Multi-Rename Tool)
I don't think any usual file manager will help much here although there may be extensions to do this. Alternatively, if you're simply renaming files a particular way repeatedly, you can always create a bash script and either install it in the right-click menu in Caja (someone posted a how-to here in the forums I believe) or just create a launcher for the script on the desktop (or panel) and simply drag the files you want to process onto it... When you drag a file onto the launcher for a bash script, that file's complete path gets passed as an argument to the script and if you drag multiple files at the same time onto it, then the script gets invoked multiple times -- once per each file. This is great for processing 20 or 30 files at once but I don't know how well it would work if you tried to drag 500 files. Maybe one day I'll try it. ;)
Practice safe computing -- use a live CD

Return to “Newbie Questions”