[Solved[ Can I type special characters with Alt+Keypad like on Windows?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Seffis
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved[ Can I type special characters with Alt+Keypad like on Windows?

Post by Seffis »

I cannot insert special characters using Alt + number keypad, in Cinnamon, anywhere. I use them in Windows to quickly insert cent, degree, trademark, etc symbols into emails, documents and even in file names in the good ole DOS days. ☺☻

edit by admin: split from viewtopic.php?f=143&t=217298 and moved here
Last edited by Seffis on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toshiba C655-S5549 Intel I3 dual core Intel Graphics 3000

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint Forums Back After Double Attack

Post by Moem »

Seffis wrote:using special characters would triple the number of characters.
That's good because we CAN use special characters.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Seffis wrote:But then I cannot type special characters in Cinnamon, anywhere.
Then you have a keyboard mapping problem. I can type a lot of them: !/:.;§~"'(-è_çà)@^\"é&ù%$£# °+= € <> |

:lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

killer de bug wrote:
Seffis wrote:But then I cannot type special characters in Cinnamon, anywhere.
Then you have a keyboard mapping problem. I can type a lot of them: !/:.;§~"'(-è_çà)@^\"é&ù%$£# °+= € <> |

can you do that at the login screen after a cold boot?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Seffis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Seffis »

Tried entering a few Alt + codes in [LogIn] password window and the cursor did not advance so... NO. Add another minor, comparatively speaking, problem to my list. Keyboard mapping, even though the numeric keypad seems fully functional in programs.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October »

killer de bug wrote: Then you have a keyboard mapping problem. I can type a lot of them: !/:.;§~"'(-è_çà)@^\"é&ù%$£# °+= € <> |

Would you mind telling the rest of the world how you do it, which mapping you use? I mean just telling others they have a problem doesn't help. I also would like to know how to type the special characters, especially using the "Windows" way with the alt-key since also I am used to it.
Thank you.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Spearmint2 wrote:can you do that at the login screen after a cold boot?
Of course :shock:

If I look at a qwerty keyboard, I see a lot of special characters being listed:

In my case, I have a french keyboard, so I have some special characters like é à è ù directly available: Image

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Seffis wrote:Tried entering a few Alt + codes in [LogIn] password window and the cursor did not advance so...
I have never tried this. Does it work under Windows?

This would be dangerous to use it anyway. You could look yourself out easily as you may expect the system not to react in the same way to this code when it is in a GUI with system fully loaded vs when you can't boot properly and you are stuck in a console.

Additionally, I don't see any reason to use this. On a qwerty keyboard, I can count 32 special characters. 26 letters (52 in total) with 10 digits and 32 special characters are more than enough to have a strong password.

With this set of characters, you can create 4*10^23 passwords (12 characters long). Assuming you can test 1 million possibilities each seconds, you would need 150 millions years to find the correct password. :roll:

Edit: my bad: I forgot to count space as a special character. So you have 33 special characters. :wink:

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Can I type special characters with Alt+Keypad like on Windows?

Post by Cosmo. »

I think, that we have a misunderstanding here. In the first post I see an admin remark (BTW: very untypically, usually the team member who does this is noted), that the first post here has been split from the original thread. The admin seemed to have changed the title, but the old title seemed to persist in all replies (heaven knows why) and this gives some confusion.

In my understanding the first poster in the detached thread did not ask about login passwords, but about using special signs "anywhere" (I assume he means text editor or terminal.

The way to do this is in Linux a bit different to the Windows method. In Linux you have to enter at first ctrl-shift-u (you now see an underlined u), than you enter the unicode-code as a 4-digit hexadecimal number followed by a space; immediately after pressing the space the code gets replaced by the sign. BTW it does not matter for this case, if numbers for the code get entered with the alphanumeric or with the numeric keyboard.

Tested with Cinnamon (gedit, gnome-terminal), but not in the login screen (would be a bad idea on this place). Code 2262 gives ≢

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

You can also enter special characters using the "Compose" key. To set which key is the Compose key, click Menu, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, Options, Position of Compose key, and select which key you want to use as the Compose key. Then you can hold down the Compose key, and enter special characters with various key combinations. For example, | and c gives ¢, o and a gives å, and so on. I like this method because you don't have to remember number codes, and most of them are pretty obvious.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

jimallyn wrote:.. I like this method ..
+1 :D

stan ellison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stan ellison »

In Linux you have to enter at first ctrl-shift-u (you now see an underlined u), than you enter the unicode-code as a 4-digit hexadecimal number followed by a space
I finally got this to work but it seems so much more cumbersome than Alt + keypad. Is there no simpler method? I used many of these characters to produce editable tablature and chord windows to use on a guitar forum.

Code: Select all

E╓─────────────────┐
B╟─────────────────┤
G╟─────────────────┤
D╟─────────────────┤
A╟─────────────────┤
E╙─────────────────┘

. .1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 
I saved a file with these characters in before I quit Windows but it would be good to look through them again to see if there are others I could use.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You can use the charmap to copy / paste the signs. If this is more simple is a matter of taste.

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq »

jimallyn wrote:You can also enter special characters using the "Compose" key. To set which key is the Compose key, click Menu, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, Options, Position of Compose key, and select which key you want to use as the Compose key. Then you can hold down the Compose key, and enter special characters with various key combinations. For example, | and c gives ¢, o and a gives å, and so on. I like this method because you don't have to remember number codes, and most of them are pretty obvious.
I've tried figuring out how to do this a couple of different times, and all the solutions I found just seemed a little inconvenient. I knew there had to be an easy way to do it, and this is it! Thanks.

magnus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magnus7 »

If you use English (US) keyboard layout switch to English (US) (international AltGr dead keys), English (US, international with dead keys) or English (US) (Workman, international with dead keys).
You will have keyboard layout with additional two levels of special characters under every key. The third level can be chosen by AltGr modifier, fourth by Shift + AltGr.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Cosmo. wrote:You can use the charmap to copy / paste the signs. If this is more simple is a matter of taste.
Easiest may be to just use that character map and paste all the ones you want to use in a text file, or some I keep in a email draft like the Euro symbol, the cent symbol, which I can copy/paste quickly.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Spearmint2 wrote:or some I keep in a email draft like the Euro symbol, the cent symbol, which I can copy/paste quickly.
You know most of the Europeans just write Eur. instead of €.

:wink:

russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

There is a useful list of the characters you can get with SHIFT + CTRL +number here: http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-ut ... umber=1024

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 18.3
Desktop: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce 210, AMD Phenom II Quad Core Processor 3GHz, 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD. Mint Cinnamon 18.2

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Spearmint2 wrote:Easiest may be to just use that character map and paste all the ones you want to use in a text file, or some I keep in a email draft like the Euro symbol, the cent symbol, which I can copy/paste quickly.
Another option for rather often used symbols: A clipboard manager like clipit where you can set clipboard entrys as permanent.

Seffis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Seffis »

I was talking about using characters and symbols not directly accessible from the keyboard in passwords. Ascii characters below thirty two ♀ ♪ ♫ ☼ and above 127 ■ ♂ ┘ º. But discovered I could not insert them with Alt + numeric keypad. Don't think I will try it with my bios or OS logins though, but might on the password for this site, if I get bored enough.

Return to “Newbie Questions”