Linux Mint Mate panel and text color

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nw53
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Mate panel and text color

Post by nw53 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:18 pm

I can change the panel background color, but how do I change the text color? I like to have a darker panel with a lighter text so I can see it. Mate do not have any themes with a dark panel and light text like cinnamon has.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint Mate panel and text color

Post by all41 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Right click on the panel and choose Properties/Background/Solid color and choose the color and transparency.
Then Control Panel/Appearance/Theme/Customize/Colors/Windows: Text and choose a light text.

I also use gnome-color-choose from the repositories to tweak other windows and panels

nw53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nw53 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:13 pm

all41 wrote:Right click on the panel and choose Properties/Background/Solid color and choose the color and transparency.
Then Control Panel/Appearance/Theme/Customize/Colors/Windows: Text and choose a light text.

I also use gnome-color-choose from the repositories to tweak other windows and panels

thanks for posting
I try that before, it change the text on all windows, I need to change only the panel text.

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:00 am

Hi nw53,

I saw this post and realized that I had just answered the same question recently on another post. I went and found it so I could copy the answer, and I realized that it was your post last week as well.

Did you try the suggestion I gave in your original post? I see that you've had quite a few other posts on another subject in between, so it could have just fallen through the cracks while you were dealing with other issues. Or, you may have tried it and it didn't work... either way it would be good to know.

viewtopic.php?t=218623

nw53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nw53 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:55 am

cholq wrote:Hi nw53,

I saw this post and realized that I had just answered the same question recently on another post. I went and found it so I could copy the answer, and I realized that it was your post last week as well.

Did you try the suggestion I gave in your original post? I see that you've had quite a few other posts on another subject in between, so it could have just fallen through the cracks while you were dealing with other issues. Or, you may have tried it and it didn't work... either way it would be good to know.

viewtopic.php?t=218623

Yes, I did get side track and forgot about it. Thank you. Will this work on a live Mate DVD?? I like to test it before installing. I'm running Cinnamon now.

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:51 am

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a live CD.

nw53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nw53 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:16 am

cholq wrote:I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a live CD.

How do I restart Mate without rebooting?

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 am

nw53 wrote: How do I restart Mate without rebooting?
You shouldn't need to restart the whole desktop, just the panels. You do that by entering this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

killall mate-panel
This will shut down your mate panel and reload it will your updated settings.

nw53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nw53 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:25 am

cholq wrote:
nw53 wrote: How do I restart Mate without rebooting?
You shouldn't need to restart the whole desktop, just the panels. You do that by entering this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

killall mate-panel
This will shut down your mate panel and reload it will your updated settings.
Thanks will gave this a try after work, post back later

nw53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nw53 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:25 pm

it work, but with problems, the Sound and network icons are still black not white. The date menu background is white with white text. What next?

Is there a way to adjust the transparency on the cinnamon panel??????? Using Linux Mint theme.

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:07 am

I didn't mess with the BG colors when I tested this. maybe I'll give it a try tonight and see what I can figure out. it seems like the sort of thing that should be possible.

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:12 pm

OK, so here is what I figured out...

I changed the background color on the panel to black and used the link I provided earlier to make the text in the panel white. As you mentioned, the network, battery and sound icons were still black, and therefore were not easy to see or use.

I then found info on the standard Mint-X theme that showed that the icons for panel sized below 32 pixels are black, but at 32 pixels and above they are lighter. So, I changed the size of the panel to 32 pixels (right click on the panel, go to properties). That got the icons showing on the black panel background.

It made the panel a little bigger, but not so much so that it looked odd. Here is a bit of a screenshot of how it looked. There is a size limit in the forum on image width, so I had to shrink it to get it to fit, so it is a little hard to see.

Return to “Newbie Questions”