(solved) do i need crapcleaner

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
redbaron
Level 1
Level 1

(solved) do i need crapcleaner

Post by redbaron » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:54 pm

One of the more useful utilities in my windows days was a program called Crapcleaner. It speeded windows up by getting rid of a lot of useless junk.
Is there a mint equivalent of Crapcleaner, or can Crapcleaner be downloaded directly onto mint 17.3 ? Do I even need it ?
Are there any other housekeeping programs that I should be using to keep mint looking trim taut and terrific ?
Thanks.

apologies for the use of large caps. my brain doesnt work too well on long weekends.
the answers were clear cut and informative - no crapcleaner.
this should help other noobs who have made the change fron windows.
thanks.
Last edited by redbaron on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: DO I NEED CRAPCLEANER

Post by all41 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:01 am

You don't need cc cleaner Just relegate that thinking to your past.
(I used to use it too) --don't even think about anymore.
Be free--be 100% free

oh--also do not be drawn into using bleach bit type utilities--you will not need them
Last edited by all41 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:14 am

all41 wrote:Just relegate cc to your past.
I used to use it too--don't even think about anymore.
Be free--be 100% free

oh--also do not be drawn into using bleach bit type utilities--you will not need them
++1

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:45 am

In Linux, cleaners like BleachBit aren't just unnecessary, they can even damage your system. Don't use them. If you feel the need to clean anyway, do it safely:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:29 am

I wrote it already in the last days on another place: You need such tools only, if your life is boring and you want entertainment by repairing, what such kind of software wrecking ball has created.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:06 am

No, and you also don't need to write in all-caps. It comes across as shouting and it's not actually easier to read.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:13 am

M0em wrote:No, and you also don't need to write in all-caps. It comes across as shouting and it's not actually easier to read.
The post isn't in all caps, so maybe your settings are wrong M0em.

It's acceptable in a subject title on forums.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:15 am

Okay, so you consider it acceptable... that's good to know I suppose. I consider it annoying and needless.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:16 am

turtlebay wrote:It's acceptable in a subject title on forums.
Why? To make readability worse?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Do I need crapcleaner

Post by karlchen » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:45 am

<Moderator on>

Redbaron.

You do not need crap cleaner on Linux Mint. But you do need a new keyboard definitely, where you can switch off your caplocks key.
Posting in all uppercase letters is explicitly not encouraged by the forum rules.
This applies to the thread title as well.
If everybody posts titles in all uppercase letters it will make reading the title list harder than if you use normal capitalization.
Karl

</Moderator off>
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:14 am

Live and let live, turn the other cheek, forgive those that trespass against you, but I suppose we live in an unforgiving society now who feel that God's example and Jesus instructions no longer count.

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:46 am

turtlebay wrote:Live and let live, turn the other cheek, forgive those that trespass against you, but I suppose we live in an unforgiving society now who feel that God's example and Jesus instructions no longer count.
Dude, Jesus also taught to respect people, and by not following forum rules, you show disrespect.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:53 am

<moderator on>
Hey, guys.
Do not let us make a mountain out of a molehill. A forum rule was ignored. The pettifogging moderator corrected it and said so. End of story. Not a matter of personal disrespect on either side nor a matter of forgiving or not forgiving, either. Case of the the title case is closed.
Karl
</moderator off>
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Pjotr wrote:In Linux, cleaners like BleachBit aren't just unnecessary...
I'd argue that they're scarcely necessary in Windows as well...

More placebo than much else, really.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:06 pm

MartyMint wrote: I'd argue that they're scarcely necessary in Windows as well...

More placebo than much else, really.
Like cell phone 'boosters', download 'accelerators', and this:
blnyghydjnghlboift6d.jpg

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:05 pm

MartyMint wrote:More placebo than much else, really.
If this software would really be placebo, it would be harmless.The worst thing that could happen would be the self-deception of the faithful user. Using them would be a matter of taste.

But they can and repeatedly do harm the system of users, who afterwards ask for help to get out of a partially critical situation. That is no placebo-effect, that is destructive.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:30 pm

redbaron wrote:One of the more useful utilities in my windows days was a program called Crapcleaner. It speeded windows up by getting rid of a lot of useless junk.
Is there a mint equivalent of Crapcleaner, or can Crapcleaner be downloaded directly onto mint 17.3 ? Do I even need it ?
Are there any other housekeeping programs that I should be using to keep mint looking trim taut and terrific ?
Thanks.
The wonderful thing is you don't need housecleaning programs in Linux Mint other than what is already running in the distro. You don't need anti-virus either.

Linux is about as close to a zero-maintenance system as we get nowadays. And you can leave it running for years, although you shouldn't, to save electricity.

Bleachbit is available for special needs, for example, if you want to wipe your drive prior to selling or giving it away. I've sold dozens of drives on E-bay, and all the forum users here have confirmed to my satisfaction that there is no other program that does wiping as well as Bleachbit.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Return to “Newbie Questions”