I'm not so sure about Mint lately.... :(

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
blackneos940
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not so sure about Mint lately.... :(

Post by blackneos940 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 am

Hello everyone..... :) How is everything after that Wordpress incident.....? :( I changed my Password, by the way....... :3 Anywho, I've installed Mint on this Laptop, an ASUS Q503UA, and my Mom's HP Pavilion Laptop..... Now, I should state that this issue only occurs after an install..... Anywho, it seems that Mint gets sort of slow to Boot Up to the Login Screen, and it takes LONGER to Log IN..... :( I'm not sure what happened..... I mean, I still use it, despite this, as it's not UNBEARABLY slow, but it's getting to the point where it's too slow for people that are looking for a FAST System, which Mint should be...... And it is, once one is patient enough to get to the Desktop..... :)

Also, this has been duplicated on 2 Machines: My Laptop, which can run Universe Sandbox pretty darn well (that is, until I collide two absolutely MASSIVE Stars I created..... :3 :mrgreen:), and my Mom's one, which is only 2-4 Years old..... AND it's recently been beefed up to, I think, 16 Gigs of RAM.....? Anywho, these Computers have MORE than enough power for KDE, which is saying something..... :mrgreen:
So what do you guys think.....? I put Linux on Computers for a pretty small fee, or for free, for people who can't afford that, and I want to give people a good first impression of Linux, via Mint..... :) I mean, in every other way, it's pretty awesome....... :D Thanks for any help guys....... :3 Imma go eat a Cinnamon Bagel now, 'k.....? :3

SOCRATE_MMXII
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I'm not so sure about Mint lately.... :(

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:40 am

1. You need to learn to write in an intelligible way.
2. What version of Mint are you using?
3. Mint KDE works flawlessly on my laptop with i5, 4GB RAM and a 5400RPM HDD.
I am the Light, the Way, the Life.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:51 am

I run an Asus gaming laptop and 17.3 KDE is great. Only problem I have about LINUX is the battery life and that's it :wink:

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Pepi wrote:I run an Asus gaming laptop and 17.3 KDE is great. Only problem I have about LINUX is the battery life and that's it :wink:
-A good low-power system would be XFCE without COMPIZ (desktop effects). So go with Linux Mint XFCE.
-The more recent the kernel, the better the power management, in general, due to bugs getting worked out and new hardware supported.
-Research how to speed up and optimize Linux and minimize disk i/o.
-You will get more mileage from a $40 SSD than a faster cpu, because disk i/o is the most common bottleneck.
-check the BIOS and turn off everything you don't need
-fewer smileys in your message will reduce the energy consumption of your readers and improve their performance
-honestly there doesn't seem to be any comprehensive power management GUI in Linux Mint. The options seem pretty basic compared to Windows 7. I don't really know how well Linux manages power compared to Windows, but I've connected a Kill-a-Watt to my Linux desktop, and it uses 25w at normal load. But I've got a heavily optimized system.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:00 pm

amethyst_igor wrote:-fewer smileys in your message will reduce the energy consumption of your readers and improve their performance
This made me laugh, and for some odd reason I feel the need to express that without using even a single smiley.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:38 am

M0em wrote:
amethyst_igor wrote:-fewer smileys in your message will reduce the energy consumption of your readers and improve their performance
This made me laugh, and for some odd reason I feel the need to express that without using even a single smiley.
I admit I use smileys a good bit, but like anything else, it is best in moderation. I remember long ago, as forum admin on another site, I turned smileys off, because they seemed annoying to some people, including me. There was a revolt of the peoples. I had to dismiss the cabinet vice-minister. Then I turned the smileys back on and added a bunch of new ones...
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Raybrite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raybrite » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:08 am

I just managed to get Mint 17.3 Cinnamon installed on my PC.
It does take about 4 minutes to boot and then a similar time after I log in. I have lots of RAM and a 1TB hard drive so there is plenty of room to run.
My only other problem is I have a NVIDIA GTX750 video card and cannot load a driver for it.
I was beginning to think this was normal.
intel core-i3 3.66GHz-CGA1150
GIGABYTE H81m-DS2
Dymet 4GB DDR3-1600
Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GTX750TI Video Card

SOCRATE_MMXII
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:05 am

Type in terminal inxi -FGx and paste the result here, using CODE tags.

Raybrite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raybrite » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:54 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread.
I will start another thread later. Right now I have a friend that wants to try Mint on an extra computer he has. I will get back to my challenges when I get back.
I don't remember how to do the code tags. I haven't used those for many years. ( been on Windows.)
Ken
intel core-i3 3.66GHz-CGA1150
GIGABYTE H81m-DS2
Dymet 4GB DDR3-1600
Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GTX750TI Video Card

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:25 pm

Raybrite wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread.
I will start another thread later. Right now I have a friend that wants to try Mint on an extra computer he has. I will get back to my challenges when I get back.
I don't remember how to do the code tags. I haven't used those for many years. ( been on Windows.)
Ken
probably would pay to start another thread, too.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

konjad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by konjad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 am

Pepi wrote:I run an Asus gaming laptop and 17.3 KDE is great. Only problem I have about LINUX is the battery life and that's it :wink:
Did you actually install any power management software?

SOCRATE_MMXII
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:42 am

Raybrite wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread.
Ken
Code tags are a feature of the forum, not Linux or Windows.
[ code ]output of inxi -FGx command here[ /code ] but remove the spaces in the brackets in order for the tags to work.

Return to “Newbie Questions”