Scanning

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Wassock
Level 1
Level 1

Scanning

Post by Wassock » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:31 am

I have Mint 17.3, and couldn't be happier with it, except for one thing. I have a Brother DCP-J525W printer/scanner: the connection from the computer is wi-fi. This works fine, with all types of printing and colours, but it won't work as a scanner.
I have reset the printer and re-installed it several times, but when I try to scan, SimpleScan says it can't find a scanner, and the scanner says it can't 'see' the computer. Xsane is exactly the same.
I still enough of a newbie to be a bit nervous of the terminal, in case I do something which I can't reverse, but I have a feeling that there must be something missing which can be corrected through the terminal. Can anyone help with a set of simple instructions, or make any suggestions?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Scanning

Post by Pjotr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:37 am

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Wassock wrote:I have Mint 17.3, and couldn't be happier with it, except for one thing. I have a Brother DCP-J525W printer/scanner: the connection from the computer is wi-fi. This works fine, with all types of printing and colours, but it won't work as a scanner.
I have reset the printer and re-installed it several times, but when I try to scan, SimpleScan says it can't find a scanner, and the scanner says it can't 'see' the computer. Xsane is exactly the same.
I still enough of a newbie to be a bit nervous of the terminal, in case I do something which I can't reverse, but I have a feeling that there must be something missing which can be corrected through the terminal. Can anyone help with a set of simple instructions, or make any suggestions?
Also, bear in mind Brother is "cool." They support Linux. So if the Driver Manager doesn't fix things for you, download from the Brother web site itself. I freakin' love Brother.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Also make sure the firewall is not blocking the scanner:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw status
If it shows enabled temporarily disable:

sudo ufw disable
Now see if simple scan finds the scanner. If so you will just have to add a couple rules to ufw.

Enable the firewall again by:

sudo ufw enable

kreemoweet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kreemoweet » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:14 pm

According to the specs I saw on a Brother site, the scanner only has WIA (Windows) and Twain (Windows and Mac OS) support. No mention
of Linux at all.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but it says here that there are drivers.
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128

And here are the directions to install
http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... edirect=on

But Pjotr pointed you to his site for the same thing. I'm surprised that it isn't included in the SPM, did you look?
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Doug B » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:56 am

Wassock wrote:I have a Brother DCP-J525W printer/scanner: the connection from the computer is wi-fi.
Can your Brother printer/scanner also connect by USB?

Wassock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wassock » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:18 pm

How kind everyone is! A far cry from some of the 'technical snobbery' on some Windows sites. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Piotr - stripped all printer files from my machine, and started again. No change, I'm afraid.
Doug B - yes, and I have tried both wi-fi and USB cable: no difference.
pcpunk - used that link: still no scanner!
kreemoweet - Brother does support Linux, but it is mentioned somewhere else, unless they have updated the page.
All41 - Thanks. Turned fw off, no change, so now it's back. Worth a try though, and I feel a touch more confident with the terminal!
amethyst_igor - I warmly agree. After decades as a user, I wouldn't look at any other make: very reliable, and as smart as a black box can be.

The frustrating thing is that this printer/scanner works fine with the other two laptops in the house, and also on my old Dell 5125. Why not with my laptop? If anyone finds a magic wand, give it a wave for me, please!

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Wassock wrote: The frustrating thing is that this printer/scanner works fine with the other two laptops in the house, and also on my old Dell 5125. Why not with my laptop? If anyone finds a magic wand, give it a wave for me, please!
Are they also Linux Installs?

This should work, be persistent and you will succeed. Did you check the Synaptic like I asked, or the Software Manager? Always reboot after installing any drivers. Sometimes these will install without manually installing drivers.

I'm in windows right now so not much help to check availability in SPM. Pjtor know his stuff though, so that info he gave "should" work. I would re-try Pjotrs instructions and try not to make any mistakes.

Maybe a different set of instructions will help, but they are old and I have never used them so proceed at your own risk. Do you have a backup strategy like Timeshift?
viewtopic.php?t=116639
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

Return to “Newbie Questions”