Epson All-in-one printer/scanners

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LloydHayes
Level 3
Level 3

Epson All-in-one printer/scanners

Post by LloydHayes » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 pm

I have 2 Epson All-in-one printer/scanners hooked to my computer. One is a few years older then the other. They are the Epson NX 415 and the Epson Artisan 837. Both print fine under Linux 17.3. And both printers have card readers which Linux recognizes fine, also. But I normally do all of my scanning with the Artisan 837. since it has the auto-sheet feeder. It also has the plate bed for single sheet scanning. I can't get any of the scanning tools to recognize the Artisan 837 scanner at all.

It does recognize the single sheet scanner on the on the NX 415. Just not the Artisan 837.

How can I make it recognize the Artisan 837 scanner with the auto-sheet feeder?
Lloyd

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Epson All-in-one printer/scanners

Post by amethyst_igor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:37 pm

You have two main options: go to the manufacturer web site and check for proprietary, downloadable linux drivers, as I did with my Brother HL-L2380DW, or try it out of the box with the default drivers. Otherwise, Linux may not support that option. I threw an old scanner in the garbage can last year, because it is only supported on Windows XP and not at all in Linux. A lot of old scanners are 32-bit only. Generally it's a good idea to research first, then buy hardware based on whether there is really good support for Linux. That is why I buy Brother printers and only buy Intel CPUs.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

LloydHayes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LloydHayes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:02 pm

While my Epson Artisan 837 is about 2 years old, it is still among the latest generation of Epson printers. It is my older NX 415 on which everything works fine. Both printers print fine. (As far as I have checked.) Both memory cards built into them works fine. The scanner on the NX 415 works fine, but not on the Artisan 837.

The Artisan 837 is a photo printer, with twin print trays for different paper sizes. It is billed as the fastest printer available to print 4x6 photos. It can print up to legal size. It can also do 2-sided printing. Plus the Artisan 837 has a sheet feeder to scan several pages automatically. However, as I noted above, I have not checked out of all of this printer's features under Linux Mint. The Artisan 837 sits next to my elbow at my desk and I use it's scanner often.

Note: I found it interesting that this printer was setup automatically when I installed Linux Mint 17.3. (The NX 415 had to be individually setup.) But it was only the print aspect, along with the memory card, that was setup. As I said above, I have not checked all of it's printing features yet.

Lloyd
Lloyd

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:18 pm

This URL will take you to the Epson Download Centre -

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... FromResult

Type the model of the printer into the Product field, select Linux in the operating system field and click on the lens.

Since printing is working fine on both machines you only need to download the Scanner Bundle for either 32 bit or 64 bit. Installation instructions are in the README file.

Epson Artisan 725 in use here :D
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

Return to “Newbie Questions”