Why is BleachBit in the Software Manager folder?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Why is BleachBit in the Software Manager folder?

Post by Pjotr »

BigEasy wrote:
gilloz wrote:In the Linux Community site, they recommend to uninstall both BleachBit programs because it can harm your computer. So, what is the logic in this? Am I missing something?
Missing. There is various applications that able to harm your computer. For example GParted. 3 clicks and you lost everything, not just harm.
Linux installation itself is potentialy very harmful - one incorrect choice (click) and you totaly lost your existing OS with all data.
But! Truth is that harmful completely depent on those who between the screen and chair.
It seems that *you* are missing something as well.... :wink:

It's about the net benefit. BleachBit = benefit almost zero, great risk. GParted = great benefit, great risk.

So GParted deserves in my opinion its place in the repo's and BleachBit most definitely not.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Pjotr wrote:It's about the net benefit. BleachBit = benefit almost zero, great risk. GParted = great benefit, great risk.
Actually Gparted few times kill my removable FAT32 flash. With just "check" option selected. It was just my experiments - I have nothing to lost. I have enough brain not to do experiments on production hardaware. But there was facts. You select legal and nondestructive option (as it read from option name) - result destructive.
Benefits and risks is different categories. Well, in commerce it is pair. But in technology only risks matter.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

I always see this discussion about BB, but nobody come up with actual examples or such to proof their point. It's always repeating another opinion about BB. It's like the developer of BB stated:
Second, I've also read that BleachBit is dangerous, but like you, I could not get any specifics, so I suppose it is speculation or rumor instead of fact.
There's no reason ignoring this....
don250r

Post by don250r »

Didnt I just see this argument a week or so ago.....?
And if BB is analogous to CCleaner, then it deserves the same amount of consideration IMO.
None at all :roll:
hairytoad

Post by hairytoad »

For a more constructive version of a similar topic, see this thread I started recently: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=219526

Return to “Beginner Questions”