How do I view nas music library?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Desecrator

How do I view nas music library?

Post by Desecrator »

Hi,
I have just gone to Linux after tiring of Microsoft updates rendering my pc unusable. I have got most things working as before excluding my Tom Tom sat nav which doesn't support Linux. However, I cannot view all my music on my Synology nas, or rip cds direct to the nas within a media player . I have tried to in Banshee, clementine, Tomahawk & xix with no success. I assume I have to mount the nas drive separately via the command line, even though it shows up in my home folder under "network".
I have tried tutorials on you tube & websites to do this, but they are all posted 2 years ago or more and don't work.
Can anyone shed some light on this process for the latest version of mint (17.3 cinnamon 64 bit)?
Plus I'm new to command line so it's a steep learning curve!
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How do I view nas music library?

Post by Reorx »

Desecrator wrote:... I assume I have to mount the nas drive separately via the command line, even though it shows up in my home folder under "network"...
I use a Synology DIskStation at my office... I have bookmarked the NAS in my file manager (Nemo) and labeled it "NAS". I have it configured to only mount when needed (not automatically at startup). When I want to mount my NAS, I click "NAS" in the left sidebar of Nemo and a login dialogue box appears asking for the PW. When I type the PW and press <enter>, the NAS mounts and appears on my desktop as a mounted volume...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Desecrator

Post by Desecrator »

Hi, Yes I can already see the nas in nemo under the network heading . I logged in to it & set it to stay logged in. I can dump files into it that way within nemo. However it won't show up as a folder within any of the players mentioned, to set as a folder to scan. So I can then view the music files & rip cds straight to the music folder on my nas from within the media player. Which is how I had it on Windows media player.
Is there not a simple autorun script I could set in command line to mount the nas on startup so it will appear as a scannable folder in Banshee, etc?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I don't normally play "media" files from a player but...

My DE is Cinnamon (LM17) at the office... once my NAS share is mounted >>>

In Banshee I can click Media > Open Location > Browse button brings up a Nemo like window which shows my NAS... and I can browse the NAS for files...

In VLC it is similar > Media > Open File brings up a similar Nemo like window with the NAS listed in the right side-bar... and I can browse the NAS for files...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Desecrator

Post by Desecrator »

Hi,
Thanks I have tried your method and I can browse the existing nas files, but I can only select individual tracks to play - not albums. I have also managed to import the existing library into clementine.
However I still cannot find a way to rip my cd's easily from within any player to the nas library, also when I insert the cd in clementine, it just plays back as track 1, track 2, etc. There is no track/artist info. Does no one require this feature in 2016, have we gone entirely over to streaming? :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I don't know how that part is working, but the NAS won't be connected to the internet
--so it couldn't pull in album art or artist info, unless your file already included it

There will probably be some tagging software available which would help manage you Album/music file data
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-fantasti ... ollection/
https://www.clementine-player.org/
  • Edit tags on MP3 and OGG files, organise your music.
  • Fetch missing tags from MusicBrainz.
Point is, if something seems awkward, there is usually another way to handle it
--or work on getting o know specific software completely (eg. Clementine)
Desecrator

Post by Desecrator »

Hi, the nas shouldn't pull the meta data from the net, I meant the player should do on the pc when an audio cd is inserted to be ripped.
Ok doc, I take your point mentioned, I guess a lot more experimentation is required to get to grips with this as yet alien to me OS.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

A symbolic link between where-the-media-player-writes-rips and where-you-want-the-rips-to-go would be the non-invasive solution.

Two non-player ripping options to try...

o ripit command. You set up the options in /etc/ripit/config once and it always does the same thing...for example...
Use cdparanoia at speed 16x on /dev/sr0
Encode the tracks using VBR Lame
Don't make a play-list
Store the ripped music in a folder in /nas/Music/

o dolphin File Manager.
Part of the KDE Mint, but you can retro-fit it to other Mints with a bit of effort...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dolphin mint-meta-kde kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins oxygen-icon-theme kde-runtime kio-audiocd konsole
...and it can present a CDDA as just another drive, containing named, tagged and encoded versions of all the tracks or the whole album. You just drag the version you want to the destination you want.

Return to “Beginner Questions”