how much space do I really need for Mint partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

how much space do I really need for Mint partition

Post by bad medicine »

I currently have an 80 GB partition for Mint 32 bit. I screwed up by installing 32 bit and am going to install 64 bit over the old install. But before I do that I'm wondering how much space I really need on the Linux partition, since I store all my files on a 100GB partition of its own. I also have a W7 partition, and a 320 GB hard drive. That's plenty of space for me for at least a year or two, and I probably don't need 80 GB set aside for Mint. How much of that 80 can I free up while being sure I leave ample space?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkpad T410 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: how much space do I really need for Mint partition

Post by Cosmo. »

20 GB are usually enough, 30 GB very comfortable.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

My current LM17C64 system at my office occupies ~8GB of disk space (not including /home or swap). YMMV!

My usual size recommendation for / (with separate /home) is 25GB.

P.S.: Checked my home machine... Same OS, whole system occupies 32GB of disk space (includes /home but not SWAP).
Last edited by Reorx on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

At different times, I have loaded my / partition up with tons of themes, icon sets, downloaded programs, .iso downloads, etc. and at no time did I ever reach 20GB usage.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

Sounds like I can easily reduce my partition by at least half then, without any worries.
Thinkpad T410 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

bad medicine wrote:Sounds like I can easily reduce my partition by at least half then, without any worries.
I think so.

Most of my 'current' machines are allocated 50GB, but none of them are more that 1/2 full.

My wife's machine, which has every game known to mankind installed, is barely pushing 30GB.
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

I have mine at 30GB and it is half full.
AllanPen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AllanPen »

I initially had a 20GB partition for Mint. Then today I got warnings that I was almost out of space suggesting empty trash (did that). Still no room to speak of. I had installed Steam and figured maybe that was the so uninstalled it; sill no room to speak of. So I booted to a USB Mint; loaded Gparted and shrunk my windows partition more and increased the Mint partition to 80GB. Gparted still shows 19.44GB being used. I can't figure this out. I haven't installed any programs of any size.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I use LM18.3, Cinnamon, 64-bit with 8 GB memory. I have a separate /home and a separate Data partition. I also have my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles (with all e-mail archives) on the Data partition instead of in the /home partition. My current usage:
/ = 9 GB
/home = 1.7 GB (would be 7.63 GB if FF and TBird profiles were on /home)
Data (including FF and TBird profiles) = about 50 GB
swap = very little (currently 29 MB)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

AllanPen wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 pm Gparted still shows 19.44GB being used. I can't figure this out. I haven't installed any programs of any size.
Timeshift would do this. Copies all the system files (including apps), thus doubling the amount of space used.

If that's the issue and you want to continue using Timeshift but also want to free up the space, you can save snapshots to an external drive. If the external won't always be attached, turn off scheduled snapshots and create manually (e.g., once per week and whenever about to do Level 4 updates).
AllanPen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AllanPen »

I wasn't using Timeshift at the time. I've just tried it out now. I've been using Linux for many years now and have always used around a 20 to 30GB partition. This is the first time I've encountered this storage warning.

Return to “Beginner Questions”