[Solved] BleachBit My Question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: BleachBit My Question

Post by Moem »

ZakGordon, as long as you keep your hamster far away from your computer... :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

linuxfreak wrote:
daveinuk wrote:Bleachbit is bad, really really bad, trust us on this one, it's really bad, no one ever used it and survived, I heard it eats ntfs or sumthin'? or was it ext3? I dunno it's just really really bad, there was this one time, this one guy, called Freddie Starr or someone, well, Bleachbit ate his HAMSTER !!!1101LO!
True story, new question, same answer, Bleachbit is really bad, it destroys satellites etc, rinse, repeat.
Did you made this aware at the BB developer? My best guess is not, since ranting about your problems is so much easier than posting your problems/issues on the BB forum.....
OK Mr Mackey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7l8dx-h8M
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

The Old Timer wrote: OK Mr Mackey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7l8dx-h8M
We're not getting personal here, aren't we?
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Well I installed BleachBit and ran only the browser cleaning part and checked all of the boxes.
Nothing bad happened and my Linux system didn't break.

It did show a lot of tracking cookies according to the preview prior to running the cleaner.
I don't at this point see any need in running BleachBit as root since that has no browser cleaner.

The Old Timer
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

All this fear for BB is really exaggerated. I used BB for years (weekly, sometimes daily) in Linux Mint without any problem. BB automatize conveniently the cleaning of the system, so it saves time and space on the HDD/SSD. Really BB is an useful program.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

xfrank wrote:All this fear for BB is really exaggerated. I used BB for years (weekly, sometimes daily) in Linux Mint without any problem. BB automatize conveniently the cleaning of the system, so it saves time and space on the HDD/SSD. Really BB is an useful program.
I ain't scared worst that can happen is I break my system and that ain't no big deal.
If one never takes chances than one never learns anything and this is not life-threatening it is only an OS.
With learning there sometimes comes risk and that is tuition for the price of an education.

The Old Timer
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

The Old Timer wrote:
xfrank wrote:All this fear for BB is really exaggerated. I used BB for years (weekly, sometimes daily) in Linux Mint without any problem. BB automatize conveniently the cleaning of the system, so it saves time and space on the HDD/SSD. Really BB is an useful program.
I ain't scared worst that can happen is I break my system and that ain't no big deal.
If one never takes chances than one never learns anything and this is not life-threatening it is only an OS.
With learning there sometimes comes risk and that is tuition for the price of an education.

The Old Timer
There are other way's to break your system, but nobody is talking about those ways.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

I have read a lot of the threads about BleachBit that are on this forum and they all seem to wind up with the same biased opinions.
No documentation as to what happened and as to how or what caused it to happen.

I can see where a knowledgeable user understanding the functions of the features in BleachBit would and can have excellent results.
I can see where a user without knowledge and understanding of the functions of the features in BleachBit would and can and probably did have an unsatisfactory experience due only to the fault of their own actions.

As I am running BleachBit only for personal learning purposes I have used the features APT / Browser / System to clear out temporary files and have not experienced anything bad.
No problems.
No broken system.
No change at all.

So I will keep using this and see what I learn over the months from my own user experience.

The Old Timer.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Will you provide a good tutorial to run it safely?
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

The Old Timer wrote:Well I installed BleachBit and ran only the browser cleaning part and checked all of the boxes.

The Old Timer
You installed it, I thought it came by default? well in Mint, but maybe not Xfce? But we don't know what you are running?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

pcpunk wrote:Will you provide a good tutorial to run it safely?
The BB author claims, that there are no unsafe functions without special warning. If a "good tutorial to run it safely" gets requested it means implicitly, that you don't trust the authors claim. The next question is, why you want to use it with this precondition and trust a tutorial? (Rhetorical)
The Old Timer

Re: [Solved] BleachBit My Question

Post by The Old Timer »

In my case I am willing to break and destroy my Linux distro as BleachBit is being used on a test computer for learning purposes.
If an end-user has doubts about using or doesn't understand how to use BleachBit then don't.

Here is a proven solution to use by Pjotr from "Easy Linux Tips Project".

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4

The Old Timer
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

@The Old Timer, Thanks forgot about that one.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Well all is still good as I am trying more of the features and some that I check give me a warning.
When I come across a warning I don't use that feature until I discover exactly what it does.
So far so good no problems or deficiencies noticed with my running Linux distro.
I will agree that I don't notice much as far as amount of crap / trash etc being removed as I don't think Linux creates much.

The Old Timer
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

The Old Timer wrote:Well all is still good as I am trying more of the features and some that I check give me a warning.
When I come across a warning I don't use that feature until I discover exactly what it does.
So far so good no problems or deficiencies noticed with my running Linux distro.
I will agree that I don't notice much as far as amount of crap / trash etc being removed as I don't think Linux creates much.

The Old Timer
Good to see that everything is running fine after using BB! Good proof that there's is not much wrong with this application.

I run it maybe once every 2 months but the first time it did removed lot of stuff cleaning up hundreds of megabytes. After that first cleaning round it cleans out some megabytes but not much.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

I believe BleachBit is a good cleaner if an end-user will take the needed time to learn how to use it.

I have had some error messages occur when using certain features of BleachBit.
BleachBit wasn't allowed access to certain files for cleaning and that may have been the reason for the errors.

Again my purpose of this endeavor is only for my own learning about using BleachBit in Linux. If necessary for this learning purpose I'm willing to destroy or break my Linux distro.

BleachBit IMO doesn't deserve the bashing that it does seem to receive. I do respect all of the posters opinions good or bad about their experience with BleachBit as there is always a risk that can occur when using third party software.

If an end-user has any hesitation about using BleachBit then DON'T.
There are other methods of cleaning Linux as the one in "Easy Linux Tips Projects" which is an excellent proven solution.

The Old Timer
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

BleachBit used non root with all features checked EXCEPT.

In Deep Scan were not checked.
Backup Files

In System not checked.
Custom
Free Disk Space
Localizations
Memory
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BleachBit used as root with all features checked EXCEPT.

In Deep Scan were not checked.
Backup Files

In System not checked.
Custom
Free Disk Space
Localizations
Memory

These features I choose not to use at this time.
Again my Linux system didn't break and I haven't noticed any problems and all is working well.

An end-user can only decide if BleachBit is safe to use on their own computer.
These are MY RESULTS and I am NOT an IT PROFESSIONAL so use BleachBit at your OWN RISK.

The Old Timer
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks "The Old Timer" I will be following if you are still testing this out!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

pcpunk wrote:Thanks "The Old Timer" I will be following if you are still testing this out!
I plan to keep using BleachBit only on the test computer which I am using as my main driver now.
I figure to run it for awhile as only the test of time will determine the true results from using BleachBit.

I also need to research the features that I haven't used as one or two of them I am uncertain of and believe that if not used properly will remove things that shouldn't be removed.

Backup Files - I believe caution should be used here as YOU are selecting files & folders to be removed.
Custom - I believe caution should be used here as YOU are selecting files & folders to be removed.
Free Disk Space - Appears to take lots of time to accomplish its task.
Localizations - Here's one I need to research.
Memory - Need to research as it is experimental and may cause problems.

I think that when using these features and not totally understanding what they do is probably where a lot of the system breakage and destruction occurs from removing things that are needed to keep other things in Linux running.

Again Use BleachBit at YOUR OWN RISK and make certain you understand the features that it has.

So far all features I have used in BleachBit appear to only do the same cleaning that can be done using commands in the terminal. The features I have chosen to not use are the ones that I have to question as to what they do and what I choose to allow them to do.

The Old Timer
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

The Old Timer Quote: I think that when using these features and not totally understanding what they do is probably where a lot of the system breakage and destruction occurs from removing things that are needed to keep other things in Linux running.
I would have to agree with this and will try this out soon.

Are you using Timeshift? That'll save you from re-installing if you do have troubles.
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

It's quite easy to use and only takes about 5-10min after the first Image is created. You will have to have a separate Partition to save the image to, or just the "home" partition will work.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Beginner Questions”