[Solved] BleachBit My Question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Solved] BleachBit My Question

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks "The Old Timer" I will be following if you are still testing this out!
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

pcpunk wrote:Thanks "The Old Timer" I will be following if you are still testing this out!
I plan to keep using BleachBit only on the test computer which I am using as my main driver now.
I figure to run it for awhile as only the test of time will determine the true results from using BleachBit.

I also need to research the features that I haven't used as one or two of them I am uncertain of and believe that if not used properly will remove things that shouldn't be removed.

Backup Files - I believe caution should be used here as YOU are selecting files & folders to be removed.
Custom - I believe caution should be used here as YOU are selecting files & folders to be removed.
Free Disk Space - Appears to take lots of time to accomplish its task.
Localizations - Here's one I need to research.
Memory - Need to research as it is experimental and may cause problems.

I think that when using these features and not totally understanding what they do is probably where a lot of the system breakage and destruction occurs from removing things that are needed to keep other things in Linux running.

Again Use BleachBit at YOUR OWN RISK and make certain you understand the features that it has.

So far all features I have used in BleachBit appear to only do the same cleaning that can be done using commands in the terminal. The features I have chosen to not use are the ones that I have to question as to what they do and what I choose to allow them to do.

The Old Timer

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

The Old Timer Quote: I think that when using these features and not totally understanding what they do is probably where a lot of the system breakage and destruction occurs from removing things that are needed to keep other things in Linux running.
I would have to agree with this and will try this out soon.

Are you using Timeshift? That'll save you from re-installing if you do have troubles.
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

It's quite easy to use and only takes about 5-10min after the first Image is created. You will have to have a separate Partition to save the image to, or just the "home" partition will work.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

No but I will sure check it out.

Thanks.

The Old Timer

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Backup Files - I believe caution should be used here as YOU are selecting files & folders to be removed.
Custom - I believe caution should be used here as YOU are selecting files & folders to be removed.
Free Disk Space - Appears to take lots of time to accomplish its task.
Localizations - Here's one I need to research.
Memory - Need to research as it is experimental and may cause problems.

The features above IMO are best left alone with the exception of "Free Disk Space".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory - is experimental and may cause problems. It tells the user it isn't reliable.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backup Files - Deals with system files.
Custom - Deals with system files.
Localizations - Deals with system files.

These three features deal with system files & folders and need to be configured by the end-user as to what files & folders are cleaned or removed and this decision in the hands of an inexperienced end-user can and most likely will become a fatality to the end-user Linux distro.

The features that I used which require only a check mark and no end-user configuring seem to accomplish the same task as if an end-user was cleaning within the terminal using terminal commands for the same task.

Linux can be cleaned several different ways and the choice is up to the end-user.

Use BleachBit at your own risk.
I plan on using BleachBit on my test computer.

This was done for learning about using BleachBit in Linux.
I am just another Linux user and not an IT Professional.

I suggest end-users use whatever cleaning method you are the most experienced using.

The Old Timer

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Here are some good alternatives that I have used with good results.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ject/clean
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These may offer some information.

http://superuser.com/questions/321365/c ... r-hard-dis

http://freedompenguin.com/articles/how- ... nux-clean/

http://askubuntu.com/questions/657091/w ... -ubuntu-14

The Old Timer

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

Do you have a link to a good Linux drive defragger as well?

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

MartyMint wrote:Do you have a link to a good Linux drive defragger as well?
I have never needed to use a defragger.

The Old Timer.
Last edited by The Old Timer on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

It was a joke.

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

MartyMint wrote:It was a joke.
It's good to see that there are still some people on forums that have a sense of humor.

The Old Timer
Last edited by The Old Timer on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Newbie Questions”