17.3 Cinnamon asks for user name sometimes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RavingLoony
Level 1
Level 1

17.3 Cinnamon asks for user name sometimes

Post by RavingLoony »

Hi. This is my first question. It feels like this may be slightly dumb but here goes.

I'm the only user of the machine. On installation I created a single account as an administrator. I've read that the root superuser account will use the password I created for my account to let me make changes to the system.

Without any apparent pattern I get asked for a user name when most of the time my administrator password is all that is asked for - basically I have to be awake to the fact that sometimes I'm asked for the user name.

Is this a design feature or a bug?

TIA
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: 17.3 Cinnamon asks for user name sometimes

Post by Pjotr »

It has to do with an annoying feature of the login window, namely the faulty "remember last user". It's best to disable that feature:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... gin-window
(item 3.11, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: 17.3 Cinnamon asks for user name sometimes

Post by Cosmo. »

The not so apparent pattern is, that in case, you made a typo while entering the password in the login screen, the systems believes - out of a not comprehensible reason - that another user (even if there is none) wants to login and asks for the user name at first. The developers have been noted about this problem, hopefully it will be changed in the next version.

What you can do in this situation is - instead of actually entering the user name - press the up arrow key, this will select your account with a single key press and you can enter the password again.

Return to “Newbie Questions”