KDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Reuel
Level 1
Level 1

KDE

Post by Reuel »

Can someone give us newbies a short description on what's different in KDE VS. not KDE? Thanks!

will
Level 2
Level 2

Post by will »

The two main desktop environments are KDE and Gnome, Linux Mint will offer both of these options when the KDE final edition is released on 4/20. I found this summary at http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/
KDE and Gnome are complete desktop environments that consist of a large number of tightly integrated yet still separate pieces of software. Gnome uses a window manager called metacity, KDE uses kwin. Both these desktops can be used with any other window manager if you do not like the default choice.

Linux is like Lego. You can build your own desktop environment. Both KDE and Gnome are just big packages with software aimed to look and feel the same way, work well together and generally give you a nice experience. If you dislike a component, then replace it with something else. It's that simple.

Application that are "made for gnome" or "made for kde" can be used with any desktop. This only means that that the program use a set of library functions found in their underlying gnome-libs or kdelibs. You do not need to use the actual desktops to use the applications, software made for KDE and Gnome can be used with any window manager / desktop as long as you got the proper libraries installed. There is no reason to use only applications made for the desktop you prefer, the "best software" for one task is made for KDE, the best for another task is made for Gnome. Use the best from both worlds.

Both KDE and Gnome can be customized to behave exactly the way you want. What desktop you prefer is your own choice and preference. When in doubt, try to learn both. Or experiment with other desktops. Remember, *nix applications are not locked to the desktop they are made for, Gnome applications can be used in KDE and vice versa.

There is no "best desktop", but there is a desktop that's best for you. It's a matter of preference, and hardware.
Hope that helps and isn't too much reading!

- Will

allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allforcarrie »

short version.

win XP vs win 98 IMO. :lol:

Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

My advice would be to try both to see which one suits you the most. Everyone has his/her favorite, and not necessarily for rational reasons... :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.

will
Level 2
Level 2

Post by will »

I will add that in my experience KDE has been much better for networking.. especially with Windows networks. It is also easier to do stuff like install fonts on KDE (right click --> install) vs. a complicated command line process in Gnome. I'd go with KDE if I were you but if you have the resources it may be worth it to play around with liveCD's of both versions.

-Will

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I think Gnome is easier to use and looks more polished. KDE is faster and has more features. I usually recommend Gnome to novice users or professionals and KDE to geeks and computer enthusiasts.

But as people said, they're both really cool and the best way to know which one you prefer is to actually try them both.

Clem

Reuel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Reuel »

I just finished downloading Mint KDE. It looks like I'll need a blank DVD for this one. I like the faster with more features description. :D

Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Enjoy, then! :lol:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.

Return to “Newbie Questions”