Double Sided Printing No Longer Works

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Double Sided Printing No Longer Works

Post by JayBird707 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:32 pm

For the past few months (since the first day I installed Linux Mint) I have had no problems with printing double sided. All of a sudden even though the settings appear in various programs the printer refuses to print double sided. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer as well as driver to no avail and wasted I don't know how much paper.

If I boot from a live CD and install the printer double sided works fine.
If I do it from the printer buttons double sided works fine.

I've tried these language types and neither make a difference:
Automatic : PDF
Postscript (level from driver)

I've looked at endless conf and ppd files and can't find anything obvious.
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Double Sided Printing No Longer Works

Post by Mute Ant » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:31 pm

You need to determine whether it's your user settings that have changed for the worse, or the system. Using your administrator account, make a new user, log out of admin and then log in as that new user. Does the printing work properly again?
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:31 pm

First let me say thank you for helping because I've been spending hours on this.

I created a new Desktop User and then logged in with that account same problem no double sided printing.
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:33 pm

So we can deduce that an update to your system has caused the damage. I have no idea how printing works though...anyone else...anyone?

If there is anyone else, they will want to know exactly which Mint you are running, and possibly the printer model too.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Linux Mint 17.3 64bit with Linux 3.19.0-32-generic
Brother Printer MFC-J835DW

I just found that if I change the entry BRDuplex in /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj835dw/inf $ cat brmfcj835dwrc I can get the double sided to work. The only problem is that then the printer will only print double sided regardless of the settings in any application that prints.

The default in this file is BRDuplex=None, BRDuplex=DuplexTumble is shot edge double sided and BRDuplex=DuplexNoTumble is long edge double sided.

My gut tells me this may be some kind of template that gets copied in the filtering process and the copy get modified to the actual user selected settings. Somewhere in that process something is going awry.

When you mention an update to my system I had moved /home and /var to new partitions but everything else works fine. I did have an ownership issue with some log files in /var/log. Maybe if you have a minute you can check your ownerships of the following to see if they agree with these. I know your not going to have a Brother folder but you will have one for your printer. If you could just see the equivalent levels if you have the same owner ships. Please.

When I execute ls -Rlash /opt/brother every directory and every file is root:root.

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Mute Ant I hope you're still watching.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to do this:
Uninstall Printer
Uninstall printer driver
Uninstall cups

I want the uninstalls to be complete so that when I reinstall everything goes in like when I installed mint.

The I want to
reinstall cups
reinstall printer driver
reinstall printer

My biggest concern is the cups issue. I've seen some things while browsing that really make me worry about this.

Can you give me any suggesations?

I think I should make a new topic because nobody has been looking at this one but I'm concerned I'm violating the forum protocol.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Try just reinstalling them in the order you want...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cups
...for example, will fetch the latest package for your system and replace any older version...no need to remove anything beforehand.

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:43 am

I tried it no difference. This method is too clean. I need a way to get all the files out and start fresh.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
Need to get 185 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main cups amd64 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.7 [185 kB]
Fetched 185 kB in 0s (258 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 189998 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../cups_1.7.2-0ubuntu1.7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking cups (1.7.2-0ubuntu1.7) over (1.7.2-0ubuntu1.7) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up cups (1.7.2-0ubuntu1.7) ...
Updating PPD files for cups ...

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:08 am

Hi JayBird,

I don't know if this will solve your problem or not but I would try installing Boomaga and controlling your auto-duplex and simplex printing from within the Boomaga GUI. Works very well for me and it has other features that are very handy to have around.

For how to install Boomaga see the instructions here titled "How to Install Boomaga in Linux Mint or Ubuntu"

For things to do immediately after installation of Boomaga, so that you configure it to work with your printer, see the instructions titled "Things to Do After Installing Boomaga"
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Radish, thanks for turning me on to Boomaga. It is a nice application. Unfortunately, it didn't correct the problem. I guess next stop is divorce court because for the past week every free hour has been in front of this computer trying to fix the problem and my wife is pissed.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Mute Ant's advice indeed made sure it wasn't a specific user profile issue, but the then drawn conclusion of it needing to be a software update issue is a bit fast: printer settings are generally not per user.

I do suppose you have from the menu's found "Administration | Printers" and have right-clicked your printer and have picked "Properties? I.e., indeed nothing of interest there, f.e. under the "Printer Options" heading that you (may) then get? If not; unfortunately printing on Linux can be a little non-uniform due to various manufacturers releasing no, proprietary or brand-specific drivers, but one thing that's sure to get you to some form of system-wide configuration is using CUPS directly.

That is, if going through "Administration | Printers" does not help, try going to "localhost:631" with a browser (i.e., Firefox). That will present you with the CUPS interface as served by CUPS' own webserver, running on your own machine. Choosing Administration ->Manage Printers -> "Your Printer" -> Maintenance -> Modify Printer might get you near a useful setting.

If not, I can't help further, but hope this is useful.

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks for your reply Rene. Yeah, I've tried "Administration | Printers" and the Cups webserver and they didn't help. I'm another couple of hours closer to divorce court.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:57 pm

I'd myself count it as decidedly lame advice, but if you have been spending so much time on this... reinstalling Mint 17.3 could possibly take under 10 minutes, especially if you have your home director[y/ies] on a separate partition. Mentioned specifically due to the /var moving thing that you mentioned; we probably aren't from a distance going to be able to diagnose this, so while simply reinstalling is a depressingly Windowsy form of problem solving, if the problem at hand cannot be diagnosed by either the local user or by helpful bystanders... well.

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Oh Rene, I suffer from 'avoidance syndrome'. You don't know how many times a reinstall of Mint has passed my mind. It wakes me up at night. But the thought of all the program reinstalls feed my avoidance psychosis. Plus that 's going to be another post when I do get to the edge of that cliff. When I installed Mint I took the easy, you do everything approach for a dual boot install with that crappy W#### operating system.

Since then I have a VMware crappy W#### operating system virtual machine installed that took hours to do. A Linux Kodi install, god knows how many other apps added and my neurotic tweeks to the interface. I can go on and on.

Then throw into that the fact that when I installed Mint I had only one HD. Now I have two HD's with LVM set up and a Volume Group that spans both drives. Yeah, if I have to do a reinstall I'll need a lot of research and advice to get things right. I have to stop thinking about it know I'm starting to shake and cry.

Return to “Newbie Questions”