Banking safety on Mint vs Windows 7?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DougWa
Level 1
Level 1

Banking safety on Mint vs Windows 7?

Post by DougWa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:06 am

Someone said that new vulnerabilities have been found with Linux, so I ask... should I be using Linux Mint (with no antivirus program) or Windows 7 (with all updates and Avast antivirus) when I do things like banking, paypal, submitting a turbotax return etc? Which is safer?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Banking safety on Mint vs Windows 7?

Post by Pjotr » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:22 am

DougWa wrote:Someone said that new vulnerabilities have been found with Linux, so I ask... should I be using Linux Mint (with no antivirus program) or Windows 7 (with all updates and Avast antivirus) when I do things like banking, paypal, submitting a turbotax return etc?
Yes.
Which is safer?
Linux Mint. By a very wide margin.

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:41 am

+1 to what Pjotr said.

But as you mentioned "newly found vulnerabilities": what precisely do you mean? If you only refer to new vulnerabilities in general, than you should be aware of the fact, that vulnerabilities in Windows are something like the daily bread and that the existence of active used exploits are some magnitudes more widespread. Another important aspect is, that vulnerabilities in Windows get often only closed after some weeks, sometimes months and in some cases after some years. Linux maintainers are far more working in real time.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:10 pm

You are also assuming your WIndows antivirus programs work. They don't. 100% of antivirus programs let some things through.

Linux is so much more secure than Windows it's just pathetic.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:15 pm

Thank You Pjotr! Great link. Answered questions I was afraid to ask.

DougWa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DougWa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks to all and especially to you, Pjotr. I already had the firewall enabled but some of the other suggestions were fantastic and VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
(btw, does your nic pjotr stand for something?)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:38 pm

DougWa wrote:Thanks to all and especially to you, Pjotr. I already had the firewall enabled but some of the other suggestions were fantastic and VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
(btw, does your nic pjotr stand for something?)
You're welcome. :)

"Pjotr" is Russian for "Peter".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Are you a Star Trek (original series) fan? Pavel Chekov's (fictitious) brother's first name... :wink:

...back on topic... I know a professional forensic computer geek who will ONLY do electronic banking using a Live (non-persistent) linux bootable medium... He boots the medium, goes to directly to his banks website, logs in, does his business and then shuts down. I'm not sure which distro he likes (uses) for this purpose...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:19 pm

I tried the LPS, which is a live bootable linux distro as you describe your friend uses for banking but it was kind of a pain but I am sure very secure. Now I use FF with firejail in private mode - there is a great tutorial on this forum that will walk you through setting up firejail.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=202735

I also use veracrypt to encrypt files that contain PII. I tried a few encryption apps but found veracrypt the easiest.

GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GreyGeek » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:32 pm

I have filed my income taxes on the web since 2008, when I retired, and I do shopping and banking on the web all the time, along with paying bills. I write only one check a month. The rest is electronic on this Mint KDE 17.3, which I installed four months ago. I've had only one CC problem and that is when I let it out of my sight at a restaurant. I noticed her transaction 20 minutes after she completed it with Diesel for trendy clothes. The bank stopped it immediately. But, that wasn't a computer problem, the computer just helped stop it before any money transferred.

ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Linux will generally be safer than windoze, but you still have to follow sound safety measures, like long and unique passwords.

Matera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matera » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:46 pm

The only time you could be as vulnerable as a Windozer is if you were using an unsecured wifi connection. Or bit a phish. Or let a potentially hackable site keep your credit card info. Some interwebz hazards are OS-independent.

I live in a small town and am car-free, so I'm a fanatical online shopper. :lol:
When I have a computer problem, I call myself.

Return to “Newbie Questions”