[SOLVED] Update Manager-broken icon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Update Manager-broken icon

Post by FirebirdTN »

Not sure how it happened, but my icon in the tray for update manager always shows the icon for "System up to date". It is purely cosmetic only. If I hover my mouse over the icon, it tells me how many updates are available as it should. Update manager itself also works as it should. Just the icon does not seem to change at all. Not sure how it happened...

One complaint I have about Mint/Linux so far is everything "just works". Once I got things initially set up, I have had to do very little troubleshooting. I would like to fix this though. Where do I even begin?

This is 17.3 Cinnamon edition, 64 bit.

-Alan
Last edited by FirebirdTN on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Update Manager-broken icon

Post by richyrich »

Open the Update Manager > Menu > Edit > Preferences > Icons tab . .

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Create a new user account and make sure, that the test system belongs to the group sudo. Check in the test account.

FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FirebirdTN »

richyrich wrote:Open the Update Manager > Menu > Edit > Preferences > Icons tab . .
All icons appear as they should.

Will try Cosmo's idea and report back later.

-Alan

FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FirebirdTN »

I created a new user. Logged in as that user. Update icon showed properly (i have kept level 1-3 updates available just so I could test this). I then logged back out, and I logged back in my normal user account and the update icon showed properly.

Any explanation?

Now I normally leave this computer on 24/7 and rarely log out or reboot, but I know I have in the past and it didn't fix the icon.

-Alan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Explanation? No idea.

You will have to observe this. You can probably accelerate your observation, if you activate in the update manager preferences to show also level 4 updates (not accept them and do not apply them); in the next step also level 5 updates. You will have to do this setting in both accounts independently. Then compare the behavior in both accounts. (When finished deactivate level 4 / 5 updates again.)

FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FirebirdTN »

Just thought I'd report back. The problem seems to be the icon doesn't change when an update comes in while logged in. As I mentioned earlier, I rarely logout/reboot this PC, so the icon stays "up to date" even if updates are available.

However, if I log out, and then log back in, the "updates available" does properly show.

So I guess I'm asking is there something minor wrong with my system, or is this a bug?

-Alan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Check, if there is a permission problem:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-C

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.

FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FirebirdTN »

Here is the result:

alan@Mint-PC ~ $ find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
find: `/home/alan/.cache/dconf': Permission denied
/home/alan/.rpmdb/.dbenv.lock
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Obsoletename
/home/alan/.rpmdb/__db.001
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Basenames
/home/alan/.rpmdb/__db.002
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Providename
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Sigmd5
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Installtid
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Name
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Sha1header
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Conflictname
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Requirename
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Packages
/home/alan/.rpmdb/__db.003
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Group
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Triggername
/home/alan/.rpmdb/Dirnames
alan@Mint-PC ~ $

-Alan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

I see 2 problems:
At first there are the files inside .rpmdb with wrong ownership. This could(!) be corrected with this approach:
Mark the following command completely and make sure, that you do not miss any sign, than press ctrl-C

find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
Open a terminal and enter

sudo -i
Now still in the same terminal press ctrl-shift-V
Run this command and wait until it has finished.
Press twice ctrl-d
Immediately log off and back into your account.

But the real problem is the existence of this folder itself. RPM is a package format for other Linux distros, but not used by Mint. I wonder, how this got to your system?
This means, that the correction of the wrong ownership might or might not help; i fear it does not.

FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FirebirdTN »

Sorry for such a late reply...Life just got in the way, and since this was a cosmetic issue I had other fish to fry.

For whatever reason, it has fixed itself. Maybe an update took care of it? In any case, it is resolved.

As to the presence of the weird files, it hard to say...As a person who dabbles in CentOS, Windows, uses Wine, VirtualBox, and many other tools and various systems, I'm sure those came from some bone headed thing I did at one point.

Just wanted to post an update.

Thanks,

-Alan

Return to “Newbie Questions”