how to config google.com as default instead of google.yourcountry

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nordic
Level 2
Level 2

how to config google.com as default instead of google.yourcountry

Post by nordic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:18 am

Hi!
Seems to be common knowledge that if one wants to see google.com instead of google.yourcountry, one has to use google.com/ncr. But it's also known that this direction works just one step forward. I mean, if you have a string of searches, you will loose it for sure before you can blink your eyes, and the google.yourcountry sits fat on your screen again. But now i found this page which really looks promising, saying that it is possible to config google.com as default search engine. The only trouble is those commands don't work for me. The page is http://www.technorms.com/5649/eliminate ... gle-chrome
Firstly, i have Mozilla Firefox, not Google Chrome. Secondly, my Menu-Search (i suppose this is the equiv of Win-Run, isn't it?) doesn't work at all, so i have to find the files to configure myself. Let me guess... it can be done in Terminal, right? I tried to modify the command given on the page from Chrome to Mozilla, but of course, as a complete ignorant in Terminal, i failed.
What would be the way of getting it done?
I have Linux Mint 13 Maya.

Regards,
"Manners!" he said. "Why, it is merely the truth, and truth is good manners; manners are a fiction." -- Mark Twain

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: how to config google.com as default instead of google.yourcountry

Post by Pierre » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:28 am

1. Open about:config in Firefox (if you doing it for the first time, you may have to promise you are going to be careful)
2. Search for keyword.url from the filter box
3. Double click on this entry. It will open a dialog where you can edit the ‘keyword.url’ string
- Change this string to whatever you want it to be ..
may be what you are looking for.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

nordic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nordic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:30 am

Pierre wrote:1. Open about:config in Firefox (if you doing it for the first time, you may have to promise you are going to be careful)
Sorry, but in Firefox where precisely? Yes, it is the first time, but i really want to do it.

2. Search for keyword.url from the filter box
3. Double click on this entry. It will open a dialog where you can edit the ‘keyword.url’ string
- Change this string to whatever you want it to be ..
may be what you are looking for.
"Manners!" he said. "Why, it is merely the truth, and truth is good manners; manners are a fiction." -- Mark Twain

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:41 am

It means, that you enter about:config in the address bar of firefox.
If you press enter you come to a page, which asks you to be careful. Say you will and you come to the next page with a filter bar at the top. If you enter the search term there, the content below will automatically get filtered accordingly. Mark the value you want to change and select in the right click menu to edit.

nordic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nordic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:54 am

Cosmo. wrote:It means, that you enter about:config in the address bar of firefox.
If you press enter you come to a page, which asks you to be careful. Say you will and you come to the next page with a filter bar at the top. If you enter the search term there, the content below will automatically get filtered accordingly. Mark the value you want to change and select in the right click menu to edit.
In keyword:url i have https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q= at the moment. Do you mean i should write https://google.com/ncr there? or just https://google.com? (i rarely use the duck anyway, just put it there (via Preferences, not long ago) to get rid of google.mycountry)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:16 am

I don't use google, so the original question does not bother me. Trying both of your links shows me, that I get redirected in both cases to the google page of my country. That means in short: You can enter, what you want, but it will not solve your problem. There might be a solution for that, but as I avoid Google, it came never to my interest to investigate about it.

This should be of help.

nordic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nordic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:50 am

Cosmo. wrote:I don't use google, so the original question does not bother me. Trying both of your links shows me, that I get redirected in both cases to the google page of my country. That means in short: You can enter, what you want, but it will not solve your problem. There might be a solution for that, but as I avoid Google, it came never to my interest to investigate about it.
I would like to ignore google, too. In fact, i've started to do it a couple of times: first, when it messed around (and it still does) with my gmail (just reorganises it as it pleases, without any warning, marks incidental posts as important, or whatever), and secondly with this very same issue here (stuck to it already at least a year). But i haven't found an at least equal search engine to it (surely not yahoo; duck i first liked (seemed kind of chaste :) and serious but... not very capable (or am i wrong as not being patient enough or something?)).
Last years i've worked with big texts of Mark Twain, his original texts, critical texts, quotes, quote validators, second hand texts on Twain etc, etc. I just spend my days searching and validating and eliminating etc. It's absolutely stupid doing it over a google.less-than-amillion-not-indoeuropean-language-nation-country search...
This should be of help.
I read the page. Yes, i have come more or less to the same conclusions myself, through the frustrating experience.

What search engine would you suggest instead?

Joss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joss » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:11 am

nordic wrote:What search engine would you suggest instead?
DuckDuckGo and/or StartPage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixquick#Startpage.com

felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:42 am

Another good one is https://www.qwant.com/.

They don't track & you can change settings.

I personally find it gives better results overall than DuckDuckGo or StartPage. Worth looking into anyway. Here is the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwant

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:19 am

Startpage.

nordic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nordic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:00 am

I made Startpage (enhanced by Google as it says, so half-Google after all) my default, and added Qwant to the bunch of others (i never heard of it before, but it looks nice and first couple of searches were smooth, too).

Thank you all!
Can't write 'solved' here i think. Happily [EVADED]?
:)

felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Startpage.
Cosmo, I like Startpage too, but I find if I do the exact same search repeatedly with Startpage, it gives different results each time. I read somewhere that this is due to different Startpage servers sending the request to Google, and since Google does filter based on history to each IP address, it gives different results with the same search. I, of course, have no way of knowing that is right, but getting different results with the exact same search bugs me, and is what made me try Quant which does not do that.

P0tter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by P0tter » Sun May 01, 2016 12:02 am

felemur wrote:They don't track
read https://www.qwant.com/privacy/

felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur » Sun May 01, 2016 6:03 am

P0tter wrote:
felemur wrote:They don't track
read https://www.qwant.com/privacy/
Right from the page on your link:

Qwant's philosophy is based on two principles: no user tracking and no filter bubble.
We do our best to respect the privacy of our online visitors while ensuring a secure environment and relevant results.
Here are our commitments for the user’s data protection :
If you wish to register or log on your Qwant account, or to send us a request via our contact form, we may ask you to disclose personal data. Thus, you are entitled to protection under the European data protection regulation.
This Privacy Policy aims to present our ethical positioning with regard to the collection and processing of data: we guarantee not to sell or disclose the user’s data in any way, especially for commercial purposes.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat May 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Startpage.
I tried Bing, Google, DuckDuck, qwant.com, http://home.windstream.net/joelwest/, and startpage.com today for a Nemo question, and the Startpage results were definitely the best.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat May 07, 2016 6:22 pm

quant gives a problem: You find at the bottom several links - for me automatically in German language, one of the titled (re-translated by me) "Terms of usage". Clicking there gives still the title of this page in German, but the rest - very much text - is solely in French. I don't understand a word and I dislike such gibberish.

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish » Sun May 08, 2016 5:07 am

Quite some time ago StartPage changed the way it presented results and, to my mind, the old way was the better way particularly when searching for images. It's a good idea to check out the difference between the classic Startpage and the redesigned StartPage and see which you prefer.

Classic StartPage
Redesigned StartPage

With StartPage it is also useful to run through the settings and generate a url for yourself so that you can always open StartPage and do searches with the settings you prefer.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

nordic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nordic » Thu May 12, 2016 5:01 am

Cosmo. wrote:quant gives a problem: You find at the bottom several links - for me automatically in German language, one of the titled (re-translated by me) "Terms of usage". Clicking there gives still the title of this page in German, but the rest - very much text - is solely in French. I don't understand a word and I dislike such gibberish.
My language in Quant is English, and the top shows Estonian (where i dwell) flag. If i click the Terms of Service (given in English), the site that opens is all English from the top to the bottom.
I quite like it for other reasons too. Like there seems to be almost no surplus in the given data, i.e everything given seems to be on the topic (can be illusion of course as i haven't verified all of it).
And i like the design...

At this moment i am stuck to Quant, and pretty pleased.

imageek5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by imageek5 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:57 am

For a while earlier this year, Chrome ignored the /ncr and redirected your search page anyway to the country based on your IP location. Then Firefox started doing it too.

Turns out this was something Google did, not the browser-because certain countries are censoring search results, also because of ads that are targeted based on your geolocation.

So if you're seeing weird behavior like that it's not your browser, it's probably google.

The good news is, at least for me in MX is that google has reverted to the "old" way and /ncr works again as before.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Sun May 15, 2016 1:07 am

felemur wrote:Another good one is https://www.qwant.com/.
They don't track & you can change settings.
Just visited the page and they know exactly where I am, the flag in the top right corner shows the flag of my country. So what do you mean with they don't track?

Return to “Newbie Questions”