Changing Login Characteristics

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RavingLoony
Level 1
Level 1

Changing Login Characteristics

Post by RavingLoony »

I've been using Mint 17.3 Cinnamon on a Dell Latitude E6230 for around six weeks. I use Linux more than Windows 10 (running on a more powerful processor) because it boots really fast & flies when it's loaded.
One issue I have, and this could be me, periodically the system expects me to provide my username, whereas the majority of the time the system displays the request for my password only.
This change is never noticed by me & I find it irritating to then get to the display so I can enter my user name.
No doubt someone will say this is a security "feature". I find it an infantile technique. It might be better if when the username is required if a different sized or coloured login is presented.
Or is there any way I can switch this feature off?
TIA
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Changing Login Characteristics

Post by Fred Barclay »

What version of Mint do you have?

Here on LMDE Betsy MATE, I don't have that behavior, but Mints using older versions of mdm (the login manager) such as Mint 17-17.2 might suffer from it.

I doubt it's a "security feature"; quite possibly a minor bug. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

This is a known problem and Clem (Mint's lead developer) is aware about this. It is on the roadmap and hopefully be solved in LM 18.

The problem comes up, if you do a typo by entering the password.
RavingLoony
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RavingLoony »

Thanks for the quick response. Good to know it's not by design. A bug I can handle, thanks again.

Return to “Newbie Questions”