Desktop can't see android phone

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ampers
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop can't see android phone

Post by ampers »

My Linux Mint desktop does not see my LG G5 android phone when I plug it in.

I have a 64gb external card in it and want to transfer a load of videos, music and photographs to it (30gb)

Whould be grateful for some advice.
---
Andrew Ampers Taylor
A persevering 76 year old geezer

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Desktop can't see android phone

Post by JoeFootball »

I had similar challenges, and if I recall correctly, it had something to do with getting MTP support on Linux.

But my solution was to go the other way, and I've had great success with the AirDroid app, albeit I need to be on my home network to use it. Be sure that your phone is connected to your wireless network when you do, otherwise your only option is to do the transfer via the AirDroid service, and you'd probably want to keep your files local for several reasons.

Joe

barney384
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barney384 »

On my phone in "connect to pc" I had to check the camera button, rather than "Install Driver" or "Media device(MTP).

That's what worked for me.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

What version of Linux Mint are you running? Cinnamon? LDE? XFCE?

What version of Android is your phone running?

Since Marshmallow when connecting your phone via USB the default option is just charging, you need to change it to File Transfer so that the computer sees it.

Have you done this?
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Newbie Questions”