A couple of questions from a new user

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SpartanG01
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of questions from a new user

Post by SpartanG01 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 pm

I love mint. I installed Kubuntu at first and got so frustrated with going "What in the name of god does this do" every fifteen seconds that I wiped the drive and trolled the internet thinking there must be a more user friendly distro available and I found mint. Out of the box is was almost perfect. It connected to the internet, updated it self, and ran flawlessly. I could find everything I needed and the few things I wanted to tweak were just a couple minutes online and very simple. I do however have a couple problems and questions.

1. I am getting incredibly... and I mean incredibly annoyed with the ridiculous amount that mint asks for admin authorization. Is there anyway to fix this? I am assuming that if it actually has a 15 minute admin activation that must be an editable value. I just want to know if I can make it either automatically authorize everything, or make the authorization per session. No one but me uses this computer and my network is more than secure I'm not worried about sacrificing security for it.

2. I looked at the mint linux artwork website and I had a few questions. I like mints theme but I want to know how to change it. I know it's not the standard gnome desktop but can I just use the gnome themes on the linux mint website and expect not to lose any functionality (of course I know they work and logically they would but I experiences with vista that unless a user makes use of something in their theme you could potentially lose the functionality like alpha blending in the taskbar unless they specifically put it in the theme)

3. Thats my next huge question and the most important one for me. What is the difference between the like five different desktops for linux (KDE, X, GNOME) whatever else. Felicia or the main release is GNOME right? There is a KDE version? Is it better? Is it even worth checking out? Is there a differences in functionality or customization? What's the point of it all?

4. I have an AMD Turion 64 processor. Old school I know, its a POS hp laptop (<3 hp) lol. However, I use 32 bit vista, and the 32 bit windows 7 install, and i installed the 32 bit main linux mint. Was that a mistake? Is there any reason to use the 64 bit version? Whats the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit?

I have about a thousand more questions I guess lol but that's all for now I would greatly apriciate any help or even any insight anyone would have, if you've had the same issues or the same questions, I'd really just appreciate being able to discuss it with someone else lol I feel lost in linux sometimes and that was one thing I always hated about vista. Any problem meant a couple hours of trolling google for answers.

rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Re: A couple of questions from a new user

Post by rbanavara » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi welcome to Mint...

to answer Q3, people are still arguing on which desktop is better (including Linus). But it all depends on your preferences. Both KDE & GNOME take up more RAM and hence are heavy desktops. But they are the easiest for the newbies. gnome is from FSF and is based on GTK (GUI building block) where are KDE is based on QT from trolltech (and if I am right, might be proprietary). Though there are differences in the way various desktop components interact under both DEs, for a newbie, it may not matter and it depends on how comfortable are you with a particular DE. X is a server which uses graphic components of your PC to display images. DEs request X server to display the contents of a desktop. and its for the X server to render the image depending on the color depth & resolution (& other parameters) supported by your system.

There are other numerous Desktops available for Linux (rather for *nix) which differ in resource consumed / user friendliness. In my opinion its better to start with either gnome or KDE (believe XFCE as well is equally good, but haven't used that) and then as you get accustomed, stick to either of them or try & switch to some other DE.

Regarding Q1, you would be advised not to do that & do authorization every time you were asked. But believe there should be parameter that makes the password to be remembered for a longer time. still once you do authentication, it does stay for few mins and the very next & immediate privileged action may not ask for password.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse

SpartanG01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SpartanG01 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Well I definitly like gnome. I think I'm gunna stuck with it. KDE has a billion things I don't understand like the plasma work areas.

As far as the authorization goes, it's 15 minutes, I'm just in the process of tweaking everything so everytime I go to do anything it asks me lol but I'm assuming the more I get done the less it will ask.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm

1) If you are using sudo, which is the default, then the setting is in /etc/sudoers in the 'Defaults' section and reads 'timestamp_timeout=10' for example. 10 is the number of minutes that it is supposed to remember your authorisation. There is a problem here though and that is that the file itself (and everybody else you ask except me) will tell you that you have to use 'visudo' to edit this file. I don't like visudo (or any other command line style editor - well joe is allright but nothing is good) so I just edit it in any old file manager and then run 'visudo -c' command which checks the edit you have just made for errors. If it says you have errors it will describe them in pretty plain english and you should be able to correct them. You check it again and if it still says you have errors then you resore your backup. (You have made one haven't you?).

2) Don't know.

3) Until the advent of KDE4 there was only one desktop manager worth a light and that was KDE. Since they have now chosen to destroy all the good work they have done with the piece of crap they now have on offer, the only suggestion I can offer is XFCE - it works for me.

4) I'm gonna get flamed to hell for saying this but I have a 64 bit processor and I never run anything except 32 bit operating systems. 64 bit OS's make not a whit of difference to my computing experience, and yet are nearly always less stable than their 32 bit cousins.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

SpartanG01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SpartanG01 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm

viking777 wrote: 4) I'm gonna get flamed to hell for saying this but I have a 64 bit processor and I never run anything except 32 bit operating systems. 64 bit OS's make not a whit of difference to my computing experience, and yet are nearly always less stable than their 32 bit cousins.
That is the exact same experience I've always had. I installed Vistax64 the first time and it had so many bugs, everywhere I read it's "64 bit this is bugged to ****" and half of most webforums I see devote themselves to discussion about 64 bit bugs.. it seems pointless and stupid.

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi and welcome to Linux Mint... and Linux in general.

1. The password asking can be a bit irritating for a new user moving from Windows... I went through that phase too :D I just want to add that the password not only protects the system from outside attacks n stuff but also from your own mistakes. e.g. you can't accidentally delete some important system file without first entering an admin password. So it's kind of a double check. But, you must be doing a lot of tweaking if you're getting irritated by the number of times it asks you for the password :D Once I get my system setup, only occasionally do I find myself in a situation where I have to do some admin stuff... maybe an update or installing a new application. Most of of the time I'm in user space.

2. I think the tool for changing themes is called Themes or Appearances... It's been a while since I used Gnome. There are a few other themes already installed. You can download other themes from the net... gnome-look.org is a good place to look. Simply drag and drop the packages you download onto the application window... and viola... they're installed!

3. You see the thing with being free... as in freedom... is now you have choice. One man's poison is another man's cup of tea... so the saying goes... You could try the others and see what suits you best. The general ideas behind the different desktop environments is... Gnome is more ease-of-use centric... KDE is for those who like switches and buttons to configure absolutely everything... XFCE is for those who like a faster system or have older hardware, but it is comparable to Gnome in certain respects... Fluxbox is for an even faster system or even older hardware... but it is too unconventional for many. If you are comfortable with Gnome, stick with it till you learn the ropes of Linux... then you can test the waters in other ponds... My personal transition was KDE (loved it), then Gnome (loved it too), then XFCE (was merely a transition to), Fluxbox (I'm getting married :lol: ) The speed of Fluxbox and the total configurability of your system is addictive :D

4. I've never had a 64bit machine but from my limited knowledge, the difference is really apparent when you have a lot of RAM (more than 4GB) because 32bit machine can't use more than 4GB RAM... whereas a 64bit machine can.

Don't feel shy about asking your questions... Many friendly people around here willing to help... You could also ask in the chatroom.. just startup Xchat from the menu and it will log you in automatically... then ask away! Having said that, many newbie questions have been asked many times before. A quick Google search might give you an answer much faster than the chatroom or the forums... If you're not finding the answers you need quickly, we're always here to help.

Cheers.

curt_grymala
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curt_grymala » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:38 pm

shane wrote:32bit machine can't use more than 4GB RAM... whereas a 64bit machine can.
A) I think you meant "OS" rather than machine. A 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine still won't recognize more than 4 gigs. :)
B) At least with Windows (I don't for sure with Linux), there is also a great deal of "reserved" space within the RAM. It only affects you, though, if you max out your memory (in both 32-bit and 64-bit). Therefore, if you install 3.5 gigs of memory, you actually get to use 3.5 gigs of memory. However, if you install 4 gigs of memory on a 32-bit Windows, you actually only get to use something like 3.6 gigs of it or something.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:16 pm

curt_grymala wrote:
shane wrote:32bit machine can't use more than 4GB RAM... whereas a 64bit machine can.
A) I think you meant "OS" rather than machine. A 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine still won't recognize more than 4 gigs. :)
A 32bit OS can support 64gb of ram, never heard of Physical Address Extension (PAE)? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension There are some limitations to PAE, for example a single process only use up to 4gb (but this limitation is also something that can be fixed by some OS with some clever tricks) but if you want more than 64gb ram then a 64bit OS is needed. And this is not something only *inx OS have, some 32bit windows server OS have PAE. I have not tried this with Mint yet, but it can be done in Ubuntu so it should work in Mint also.

/W

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 pm

SpartanG01 wrote: 3. Thats my next huge question and the most important one for me. What is the difference between the like five different desktops for linux (KDE, X, GNOME) whatever else. Felicia or the main release is GNOME right? There is a KDE version? Is it better? Is it even worth checking out? Is there a differences in functionality or customization? What's the point of it all?
You can always use VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ to try these other versions of Mint or any other OS.

Return to “Newbie Questions”