How to upgrade to mint 18?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
stusky
Level 1
Level 1

How to upgrade to mint 18?

Post by stusky » Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 am

Hi,How to upgrade to mint 18 from rosa ? I want to try it first.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to upgrade to mint 18?

Post by Oscar799 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:43 am

You are a little premature as Mint 18 hasn't reached Testing yet
When it is released it will be announced here http://blog.linuxmint.com/

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 am

From what I recall. Mint releases don't come out in Beta form, so when you do upgrade, it will be to the final form.

Also, there are typically two different release dates:
1) When the release is available
2) When the UPGRADE is available

The second will allow you to do an in-place upgrade from the existing Mint version and typically follows the first release date by a couple of weeks or more.

Good Luck

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 am

Mark Phelps wrote:From what I recall. Mint releases don't come out in Beta form, so when you do upgrade, it will be to the final form.
They do come at first as beta. In the past they were mostly named Release Candidate, for LM 17.3 they were named Beta, to make the state clearer.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Installing a beta/RC is not necessarily a beginner question exactly because it's not a beginner level task. Installing it is no problem but keeping it working is the hard part. It's going to break at some point when you do a system update, and beta releases have very frequent updates. When it does you are going to need good CLI recovery skills, and don't expect anyone to hold your hand.

Put it this way. I know guys do linux/unix support for a living. They won't install a beta release unless someone makes them do it.

If you have a spare computer go for it. Fixing a broken OS is a great way to learn but I need at least one machine that's stable.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Wed May 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:If you have a spare computer go for it. Fixing a broken OS is a great way to learn but I need at least one machine that's stable.
That hits the nail on the head. One should separate "work horses" (production machines) from "play boxes". Experiment happily on the play boxes, but don't take any unnecessary risk with a work horse.

Personally, I love a bèta release. On my play box....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed May 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:Installing a beta/RC is not necessarily a beginner question exactly because it's not a beginner level task.
The original question / topic was about upgrading. Mark Phelps is right in the point, that upgrading will only be available, if the final version is released.

Trying in the sense to get an early impression can also be done with a beta version. This is fine, if the user makes for himself clear, that the new version might brake things, e.g. because of his hardware. That means, he must ensure, that he has either a dispensable machine or a full backup of his system, he must know, how to restore the backup and what to do, if things stop working at a point. And he should be ready to report found problems (that is the real goal of a beta release).

In any case, those who only want to to get an impression, can do this of course after the release of the beta ISO if they use this only as a live system. In this case the worst that can happen is, that it will not run. But of course this has nothing to do with upgrading.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Thu May 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Mark Phelps wrote:From what I recall. Mint releases don't come out in Beta form, so when you do upgrade, it will be to the final form.
They do come at first as beta. In the past they were mostly named Release Candidate, for LM 17.3 they were named Beta, to make the state clearer.
You're right -- they do come out in Beta, I had forgotten that.

I just checked the Linux Mint Blog and they indicate the Beta will be out in June.

I would advise anyone installing the Beta to first to an image backup of their setup so they have something to restore with if the Beta install becomes a problem and they want to restore back to a working system. I use Clonezilla for this, but there are other options, as well.

Return to “Newbie Questions”