Best way to back everything up & hardinfo

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
xpeterpx
Level 1
Level 1

Best way to back everything up & hardinfo

Post by xpeterpx » Wed May 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Running Mint 17.3 MATE DE and curious now that I am accumulating files and downloads the best way to back everything up?
Is it possible to mirror the whole hard drive for a full re-install without losing stuff should the worse happen?

Also, I cant seem to instal Hardinfo - get the following error message in terminal :

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Thank you
Pete

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Best way to back everything up & hardinfo

Post by Mr.October » Wed May 25, 2016 4:15 pm

To start with your problem with dpkg: open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
It will ask for your password, type it, followed bu Enter. Mind you, while typing your password you won't be seeing anything on screen, not even stars.

For Back-up I use grsync. It is in the repositories so you can install it with synaptic or which ever softwaremanager you want to use. Also, you can install it in the terminal:
sudo ap-get install grsync
Again, type your password.

In Grsync, which is a graphical frontend to the mighty rsync you can set both your source partition (or folder) and a back-up partition or folder. Also many options can be set to get just the back-up you want. Try to read about rsync and grsync. I use it every day here to make daily backup in seconds.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Also, I cant seem to instal Hardinfo - get the following error message in terminal :
Did you manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem?
Running Mint 17.3 MATE DE and curious now that I am accumulating files and downloads the best way to back everything up?
Probably "rsync" with optional GUI "grsync".
Is it possible to mirror the whole hard drive for a full re-install without losing stuff should the worse happen?
A lot of people recommend "clonezilla".

I backup OS with "cp -ax from to" from another install or from LiveDVD, and incrementally with grsync while the OS is running; it/they don't mirror an entire drive, but that's not necessary since you can backup the OS to a directory on another partition. Don't backup the OS to windows formatted partitions (fat32, ntfs...); for data that's OK.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed May 25, 2016 4:30 pm

xpeterpx wrote:Is it possible to mirror the whole hard drive for a full re-install without losing stuff should the worse happen?
I recommend qt4-fsarchiver. You need this PPA: ppa:dieterbaum/qt4-fsarchiver
The advantage is, that you can do the backup from inside of the running system. For restoring you can download an ISO-file, where the program runs from a live Ubuntu system.

For regular backups I recommend Back in Time, which can do the backups automatically.

xpeterpx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xpeterpx » Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks guys for the quick replies
Hardinfo now up and running and will look through your advice in backing up

Thanks again
Pete

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi "xpeterpx",

I just read your post and the good reply to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

In addition to using a "sync" program for daily (frequent) backups, I would highly recommend that you make hard drive image backups of your entire hard drive(s), or by partitions, using a hard drive imaging program, like the wonderful "Clonezilla Live". I do this at least once a month, and before any major updates, and before any substantial software application installation that might mess up my system.

If you do not already have one or two USB external hard drives for backing up, then get them. You can also use USB flash drive sticks for "Syncing" folders and files, if they are large enough. It is always wise to have more than one place to backup too, in case something happens during a backup procedure (power outage, etc...) that hurts the back up drive / stick, or it just wears out, then you have another good backup available. I alternate them, using one backup drive onetime, and then the another; same with USB flash drive sticks.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm

If you use rsync/Grsync which normally overwrites files which have changed, but if you want to keep the older versions around for a while, for example if you want to keep three backups and always overwrite the oldest one, you can use this method:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=218806#p1146504

Note - I haven't actually tried this yet.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Return to “Newbie Questions”