[Resolved] Autoupdates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DavidTerp
Level 2
Level 2

[Resolved] Autoupdates

Post by DavidTerp » Thu May 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Hello,

Under mac and Windows, the updates can be done automatically. For old people, this is great. In linux Mint 17, I don't find the option to enable the updates automatically. I know there is a trick, based on Ubuntu, with command line, to enable the autoupdates, but the security levels of Mint in updates manager are not respected (ie unattended-upgrades).

Please, could you tell us how to, or which way can, enable the updates automatically with respect of the security levels of the updates manager (levels 1,2,3,4,5).

In my opinion, this is the only barrier to recommand Mint to any people. Because many people don't manually apply updates on their computer. Since 1994, it's automatically on Windows and Mac.

I'm using Mint and I love it.

Solution : no and never
Last edited by DavidTerp on Thu May 26, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop : Mint 17.3 Mate - Intel i5 - 8 GB - Dual boot Windows 7 for gaming only
Laptop ASUS : Ubuntu Mate 16.04 - Intel i3 - 4 GB

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Autoupdates

Post by karlchen » Thu May 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Hello, DavidTerp.

Only recently we had a thread on Automatic Updates?
In that thread Cosmo. pointed to the place where Clem explained why he did not want to implement fully automatic updates on Linux Mint. Cf. here, please.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

DavidTerp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DavidTerp » Thu May 26, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks for the link. Now, I understand the idea about always manually update. I keep going to use mint but I will recommand ubuntu for old people.
Desktop : Mint 17.3 Mate - Intel i5 - 8 GB - Dual boot Windows 7 for gaming only
Laptop ASUS : Ubuntu Mate 16.04 - Intel i3 - 4 GB

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:39 pm

DavidTerp wrote:Thanks for the link. Now, I understand the idea about always manually update. I keep going to use mint but I will recommand ubuntu for old people.
As a Xubuntu user I take umbrage to that comment. :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Resolved] Autoupdates

Post by wilbobob » Thu May 26, 2016 3:26 pm

I don't think age is a prerequisite when it comes to not seeing that big blue i telling you that there are updates awaiting.
Go Steady, but keep going

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Thu May 26, 2016 3:29 pm

wilbobob wrote:I don't think age is a prerequisite when it comes to not seeing that big blue i telling you that there are updates awaiting.
I have to agree. My mother is 77 and updates her Mint happily and regularly, because, as she says, it's very quick and she doesn't even have to shut the computer down afterwards.

I don't get what's so difficult about updating manually. If all else fails, you could set up a weekly reminder.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu May 26, 2016 4:27 pm

DavidTerp wrote:Since 1994, it's automatically on Windows and Mac.
And in some cases it broke the system automatically. :roll: (Happened e.g. since month with Windows 7 update KB3133977 on Asus Motherboards.)

If you have difficulty to recognize the blue shield in the update manager in the system tray you can make a setting in the preferences, that the icon does only appear, if updates are available at all. Probably this helps.

Return to “Newbie Questions”