Linux Mint and Photography......

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint and Photography......

Post by andywest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Just curious here but is anyone processing their images under Linux Mint? I had Linux Mint on an old PC and it ran really well and everything was free! Ok most progs didn't look great but it was a stable, fast OS. Photography is my hobby and i want to get away from the money grabbing windowz. Blimey i sound tight! I'm not and don't mind contributing but i just feel software companies and especially Microsoft make far too much money!

If you are i have a few Q's

Are printer drivers a problem? I have a Canon MP210 all in one printer (would the scanner work?) and an iP6700D for photo printing.
Can you run 2 printers from one machine? if so how do you tell mint which to be the default printer
Does Mint accept memory card readers, memory sticks and external HDD's and show them as external drives?
I suspect gimp is the photo manipulation programme of choice so can you get the RAW plug-in for Linux and would the Canon .CR2 files work?

Cheers in advance

Andy

Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint and Photography......

Post by Old Marcus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Just searched openprinting, and oddly enough there aren't any entries for either of your printers, even though they have entries for everything else. I recommend trying them out and seeing what works.

You should be able to run two printers, as long as you can physically plug two in. To set a default printer, got to 'administration' 'printing' and set it there.

Not sure about memory card readers, but memory sticks are fine and external HDDs should be fine.

GIMP should be good for your purposes, if you've used photoshop recently then GIMP will take a bit of getting used to. Not sure if it will take Canon .cr2 files, google it and find out. :)

That's as much as I know, hope it helps. :)
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Old Marcus wrote:Just searched openprinting, and oddly enough there aren't any entries for either of your printers, even though they have entries for everything else. I recommend trying them out and seeing what works.

You should be able to run two printers, as long as you can physically plug two in. To set a default printer, got to 'administration' 'printing' and set it there.

Not sure about memory card readers, but memory sticks are fine and external HDDs should be fine.

GIMP should be good for your purposes, if you've used photoshop recently then GIMP will take a bit of getting used to. Not sure if it will take Canon .cr2 files, google it and find out. :)

That's as much as I know, hope it helps. :)
I've got an Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer and Mint recognized it. I've not had any problems with card readers or external Hard drives.

joopyhellspawn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joopyhellspawn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am

Mint recognized my all in one right out of the box. I use Gimp but I also use Photoshop CS2 using Wine Doors. My laptop has installed multimedia card reader and Mint has not had any problems reading all the memory cards I stick in. Gimp has couple Raw plugins available so I'm sure it should work with your Canon raw files, although I can't say for sure.
When it steam engine times, it steam engines.

andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andywest » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 am

Great possitive feedback! Thanks very much.

Return to “Newbie Questions”