"Num-lock" enabling

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

"Num-lock" enabling

Post by cato40 »

Hi :
Here is my slight problem, I have just installed Mint Felicia XFCE RC1 ,I would like to "enable" the "NUm-Lock "
on start up,otherwise She is running lovely on a 700Mhz Celeron coppermine processor with a 13.2 Gb Hard Drive
and an Epson Stylus Color 740 printer,which was a "plug-n-play " it is a bit slow,but everything works.
cato40 :D

I have just installed Mint 13 ,Mate ? or Cinnamon ?; now there are 2 questions I have
1) how can I enable "numlock "on startup ,that when I power down it does not remain on. the 2nd0 topic is how can one determine
what fork he is using on Mint 13 ,whether it is Mate ,Cinnamon ,or Gnome.
Thanking you ,cato40 :o maybe this should be transferred to "Newbies "?
cato40 :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: "Num-lock" enabling

Post by viking777 »

Let's try the easy things first.

Boot up, switch on number lock then log out and make sure that 'save session' is ticked.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi :
I have tried the "auto" save, but that does not remember the setting, I have Mint 4.0 ,Daryna on my main Pc,
and it gets "enabled " when the boot-up is finished, also ,I believe most of Ubuntu's Distro also enable the "Num" locl.
Thanks anyway, Maybe it is the low resources that this lovely Distro is mounted on,700MHZ Coppermine,with 384Mb Ram
etc.An Epson Stylus Color 740 is connected,which was found when I was installing this Mint Felicia, 6.0RC1 XFCE.
cato40[quote]Nunc Aut Never :D
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Ok so now the less easy solution.
Alt/F2
gconf-editor
navigate to
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/ and click on the word 'keyboard'.
A panel will open on the right.
Look for the words 'remember_numlock_state' and make sure there is a tick in the box next to it.

Then back to the easy method, switch number lock on, log out and save session.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Shall try, will let you know.
Thanks
cato40 :o
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

No Luck, will do manually,
cato40 :D
5thAve

Post by 5thAve »

Has anyone resolved this? I am having the same problem... Fluxbox CE (Mint 8 RC). In gconf-editor my "remember_numlock_state" is set to TRUE (checked) but system never starts with numlock engaged. :-( Any way to fix this? Otherwise I am loving Mint.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

I'm experiencing the same issue on Mint 11. I followed the instructions to check 'remember_numlock_state' and found that mine was selected. I deselected it and rebooted and that was the first time my system started up with num_lock On. I'll let you know how my next reboot goes.
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

i'm guessing disabling that setting in gconf causes system to use bios default.. which would be a good thing. i've got this problem on a mint11 32bit machine andits v annoying for someone who uses the numpad for spreadsheets etc and has a keyboard with indicators on the base unit (stupid microsoft wireless keyboard!)
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

well it cleared out some setting somewhere so that now when it is enabled it works like it should
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Glad you had luck ; I am having the same problem, with Mint 17 on an Acer Veriton 2800 1Gb RAM 80GB HD.;
M17 ,XFCE appears to be slow.
But "Numlock " will not work when I press it to enter numbersinstead of the top row of number keys.
cato40 :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”