When would Linux Mint use BTRFS as default?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

When would Linux Mint use BTRFS as default?

Post by SETHANATH »

Hi,

I wonder when Linux Mint would use BTRFS as default?
What would happen if I will try to experiment with BTRFS with fresh installation of Linux Mint 18?

Thank you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: When would Linux Mint use BTRFS as default?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 18 will support Btrfs. You will have to choose "something else" for the "installation type" question and then you can manually create and assign partitions to install Linux Mint 18 on. Btrfs will be a supported filesystem type for new partitions with that. This tutorial on that is probably still useful despite the screenshots being from older version: viewtopic.php?t=122276
Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Laurent85 »

SETHANATH wrote:Hi,
I wonder when Linux Mint would use BTRFS as default?
I guess not in the coming releases as Mint is very conservative regarding stability issues.
What would happen if I will try to experiment with BTRFS with fresh installation of Linux Mint 18?
I personally use btrfs as my default filesystem and regularly backup data just in case :idea: Never had any issue for months but I would not recommend such setup to the average user. If you want to use btrfs as your root filesystem it is recommended to use the most recent kernel and btrfs-tools available, at least kernel 4.4+ and btrfs-tools 4.4+, Mint 18 official repositories are compatible with such requirements.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

Yes, I plan to experiment with entire root system when the Linux Mint 18 come out.
How is the performance of BTRFS compare to EXT4? It can't be that different if I use my PC for Linux gaming and watching movie right?
What else you notice comparing it to EXT4? Is there any sound issue? Do you think WINE would work okay with it?

Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

With a slightly older kernel than will ship with Linux Mint 18 and tested on a SSD, btrfs was in some test slower than ext4 and in others about just as fast: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... -ssd&num=2. Whether those differences would be important to you depends on what you use your system for. If you use your system as a database server or as a build server that does nothing but compile software all day, then btrfs might not be the right choice if looking only at performance. I'd also look at the features of btrfs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs#Features. It's for the features you might consider to use btrfs. The btrfs wiki has a lot of information also: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

Looking at your use, I don't think the filesystem you choose will make any difference for you. Ext4 would be just as fine a choice as anything else.
deleted

Post by deleted »

If you boot a liveDVD and then install btrfs-utils, you can then use gparted (or some other partitioning tool) and create btrfs.
When you install, choose "something else" and point to those partitions.
After the install, you'll have your btrfs partitions on your Mint. Also, if you want you can convert existing ext3.ext4 to btrfs: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php ... _from_Ext3
-H
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think that's only needed for earlier versions of Linux Mint hinto. Btrfs is an option when you create partitions manually from the "something else" choice in the Installation Type step of the installer of Linux Mint 18.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

Thank you for all your help. At this point, I keep thinking that, one thing for sure, BTRFS would make copying files much more accurate without any bit lost. Does BTRFS require you to have more than one hard disk, however? What if I am using BTRFS on my laptop, and I do not have any option to set any RAID system? Would BTRFS still work on my laptop? I heard that one day BTRFS would work on Linux Mint as a defaulted file system, so I want to experiment with it early, but I am unsure if my understand of it is correct.
deleted

Post by deleted »

xenopeek wrote:I think that's only needed for earlier versions of Linux Mint hinto. Btrfs is an option when you create partitions manually from the "something else" choice in the Installation Type step of the installer of Linux Mint 18.
Cool.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

SETHANATH wrote:At this point, I keep thinking that, one thing for sure, BTRFS would make copying files much more accurate without any bit lost.
ext4 and btrfs are both journaling filesystems (read about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system) and as such you won't lose bits easily. Btrfs does have checksums on more data but if you're losing bits regularly for a home computer it's probably a warning sign for early failure of your hard disk.
SETHANATH wrote: Does BTRFS require you to have more than one hard disk, however? What if I am using BTRFS on my laptop, and I do not have any option to set any RAID system? Would BTRFS still work on my laptop?
That's like saying 4 people will fit in your car so you can't drive it unless you have 4 people in it. You can use btrfs with multiple disks but it doesn't need multiple disks.
SETHANATH wrote:I heard that one day BTRFS would work on Linux Mint as a defaulted file system, so I want to experiment with it early, but I am unsure if my understand of it is correct.
Perhaps for Linux Mint 19 due in 2 years. Don't hold your breath as a lot can happen between now and then. If there are features of btrfs that you need or want to experiment with, that's fine. Be aware that btrfs can be a higher maintenance filesystem than ext4. For ext4 you don't need to do anything. With btrfs, especially when dealing often with very large files (gigabytes or bigger), you may find the need to tune parts of the filesystem to your specific need.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

Thank you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”