Fresh Mint 17.3, stuck in boot process "keys:"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Malachias
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh Mint 17.3, stuck in boot process "keys:"

Post by Malachias »

Hi
I'd consider myself a newbie but I have played with Linux before, probably 20+ years ago but not with great success. After then decades of using Windoze I intended to start playing with Linux again. I wish it just were not so frustrating if you are not an expert.
I am trying to install Mint 17.3 on an old Dell Inspirion 1501 laptop.
It wouldn't connect to wifi so I have tried to follow the instructions on the web and activate the broadcom driver.
Result: Still no wifi and now also the wired connection has disappeared and when starting a new one by add: still no connections.

(Had the same wifi issue on the 17.2 version where it still wouldn't work with the driver enabled but one day for whatever reason the wireless switch appeared in the tray menu. Had nothing to do with keyboard wifi activate.)

After hours wasted trying to get it to work I decided on another fresh install w. 17.3, wipe everything (again). Nothing to lose other than my time...

New installation: The same, wifi not recognised. Trying to activate the broadcom driver by clicking on it. Progress bars very slowly then message that I need to restart. I do that, the screen goes dark and that was the last thing I saw of Linux Mint.
Now when booting I see a black screen and after a while the words "keys:" appear on the top left corner of the screen.
Generally no response to any kbd input as it appears only sometimes after pressing ESC, the LM logo shows and nothing happens. Must happen in some sweet moment.
So far what I have seen of LM I liked, it would be a shame to abandon it (yet again)...

Any suggestions appreciated

Mike

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Fresh Mint 17.3, stuck in boot process "keys:"

Post by Pierre »

what Desktop Environment are you using ??

if it is the Cinnamon DE - - then it may be way too heavy for that old Laptop ..

how much RAM & how big is the HDD ?

you may be better off in trying the XFCE version of LinuxMint instead.

-- my old Dell Latitude D630 works just fine with the LinuxMint mate version .....
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Hi Pierre.

I agree with you that Cinnamon may be too heavy, but please note that the real problem here is the wifi driver. Since the system was usable until the OP tried to install the wifi drivers.

@OP:
How did you install the wifi drivers? Could you give us a link to the tutorial you followed? Have you used the driver manager from Linux Mint? It is normally working well to solve this issue.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Malachias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malachias »

I had LM 17.2 running successfully for about a month but something went wrong. Yes it is a bit slow I agree.
1.4 GB RAM, 50 GB or a bit more HDD. Agree, this is not awe inspiring but it worked to a certain degree, mainly used Office on it and that was fine.
Tutorial was some Utube guide to activate broadcom driver that was by nature deactivated. The laptop has a wifi enable Fn F2 switch. I am never sure if it is on or of because I think when it did work the LED was off I think.
THe BIOS allows manual contro but I don;t know what happens if you turn control off, can LM still use it?

Thanks for all so far!

M

Malachias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malachias »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESSneUDbVS0 was the video, not really relevant.

I may try to downgrade as suggested.

Clearly nothing works now...

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"Clearly nothing works now..." I get a feeling your hardware is letting you down...the 'keys' prompt sounds like a partition has been lost, plus other bad things happening without your permission. I would be running a RAM check and backing-up the disk drive using a Live Session Mint.

Some machines have BIOS settings to tweak the RAM access times...it's worth checking that your BIOS is set to 'Fail Safe' settings. Over-clocking RAM, especially well-used RAM, can damage data before it gets stored on the hard drive.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

I had this problem yesterday while I was reinstalling the system without formatting root. I found out it was related to linux kernel. If I choose any other but 3.16.0.38-generic during grub boot, my wi-fi won't show up thus preventing me to connect to the web.

I'm running Mint 17.3 (upgraded) Cinnamon 64bits on Qualcomm Atheros AR5416 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5008 802.11(a)bgn]
(ath9k driver). I don't know why this is happening but maybe it can help you find out. Did you change the Kernel to a newer one?
Malachias wrote:I had LM 17.2 running successfully for about a month but something went wrong. Yes it is a bit slow I agree.
1.4 GB RAM, 50 GB or a bit more HDD. Agree, this is not awe inspiring but it worked to a certain degree, mainly used Office on it and that was fine.
Tutorial was some Utube guide to activate broadcom driver that was by nature deactivated. The laptop has a wifi enable Fn F2 switch. I am never sure if it is on or of because I think when it did work the LED was off I think.
THe BIOS allows manual contro but I don;t know what happens if you turn control off, can LM still use it?

Thanks for all so far!

M
Mint 17.3 64bits - Cinnamon 2.8.8 - AMD R9 270

Malachias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malachias »

Well, the weirdest things are happening (to the unenlightened)...
I have given up and thought "let me downgrade to 17.2" (which I know did work - not great but it was working).
So I did the lengthy CD install (no USB dongle available). It connected to the wired network instantly and downloaded all it needed.
I did the broadcom drive install again, it said one driver installed. I add a wifi connection under the tray menu. I reboot, the screen goes dark instantly and the system says "computername login:"
Appear no proper shutdown has happened. No response to user keyboard inputs.
Hard re-boot by holding power button. System reboots normally, now even the wired network connection is missing. Net result no connections enabled and no ON/OFF buttons show. Manually adding it in the system tray still ignores it. Going back to the device manager now shows "no proprietary drivers available" and the system does not restart properly.

This is terribly frustrating and I am really disappointing that after 20+ years pause with Linux I am essentially struggling with the same hardware setup issues that have made me reluctantly go back to Windoze. Please, not again!

Mike

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

Maybe you don't need to install the drive. In my case I install nothing, the Atheros driver is included in the kernel of the system. I also moved from Windows to Linux and I understand your way of thinking. In Windows we have to install drivers after we format and install the OS but in Linux, we don't. Well, at least not in some cases I suppose.

Today I learned that I don't need the AMD driver from their webpage (the fglrx thing) to use my GPU's 3D. I just need to upgrade the Kernel. Xorg Server+Kernel updated works better because of the AMDGPU driver inside the Kernel. AMD dropped development of a separate package and is working with the guys that code and is helping to improve the gpus running in Linux.

So in the Kernel of Linux I can find my Wireless Card driver AND my GPU driver. That's really nice. No need to worry about checking for newer drivers in 300 different hardware pages. Just check the updates to the core of the system.

Again, maybe you don't need to install the drive and MAYBE this "second" drive caused conflict and you can't access nothing anymore.

I don't know how to remove it. Can you remove it through the update manager? Who knows? Maybe removing it might work for you and please don't give up on the system. It is pretty good.
Malachias wrote:Well, the weirdest things are happening (to the unenlightened)...
I have given up and thought "let me downgrade to 17.2" (which I know did work - not great but it was working).
So I did the lengthy CD install (no USB dongle available). It connected to the wired network instantly and downloaded all it needed.

I did the broadcom drive install again, it said one driver installed. I add a wifi connection under the tray menu. I reboot, the screen goes dark instantly and the system says "computername login:"

Appear no proper shutdown has happened. No response to user keyboard inputs.
Hard re-boot by holding power button. System reboots normally, now even the wired network connection is missing. Net result no connections enabled and no ON/OFF buttons show. Manually adding it in the system tray still ignores it. Going back to the device manager now shows "no proprietary drivers available" and the system does not restart properly.

This is terribly frustrating and I am really disappointing that after 20+ years pause with Linux I am essentially struggling with the same hardware setup issues that have made me reluctantly go back to Windoze. Please, not again!

Mike
Mint 17.3 64bits - Cinnamon 2.8.8 - AMD R9 270

Return to “Newbie Questions”