Removing AMD proprietary Driver=HUGE improvement!?!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Removing AMD proprietary Driver=HUGE improvement!?!

Post by InkKnife »

When I built my PC 2 years ago I took some advice and immediately installed the proprietary AMD driver. Things seemed OK and I don't do any gaming so I am fairly insensitive to graphics card performance.
Recently I wanted to add another screen to my set-up and was getting nothing but grief. Cinnamon crashing and bailing out to fall back, the Catalyst control panel would lock up, forget settings and crash, crash, crash, so I uninstalled the driver and switched over to the recommended FOSS driver.
Wow, after reboot I could immediately see that the image on my screen looked better, sharper. Then I went back to trying to get the second screen working and now the set-up went smooth and easy as could be. Dual screens with very different resolutions, perfectly stable.

That done I relaxed and started doing my usual relaxing at my computer, browsing, light photo editing and I notice that everything is snappier, scrolling is butter smooth, windows fly open, menus have the snappy. Now this is where it gets weird: I notice that everything is using about 40% less ram and much, much less CPU and the average temp of my CPU dropped a full 5c.
I am completely blown away that changing the video driver could cause such a really, really big jump in performance. I post this here because while I have read plenty about AMD driver issues I had never read anything that suggested they were so bad that they would drag down your whole system. If I had had even a hint that a bad driver could slog things down so bad I would have tried yanking it long ago.
Before I switched drivers I was thinking that my PC made of old parts was going to need an upgrade but now it has the snappy back and I feel like my old Quad still has some years of service ahead of it. I have been using computers for going on 35 years and spent some years in PC repair and I have never seen such a performance boost from a software change, ever. I am happy but also kind of gob-smacked.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Removing AMD proprietary Driver=HUGE improvement!?!

Post by wmh »

I have a similar computer: Q9400 2.66 - r9 270 - 17.3 x64 cinnamon mint. I'm very new to Linux and have lots to learn and I'd like to game in Linux. What is this FOSS driver? I'm using the Xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:7.3.0.1-1ubuntu3.1 in 4.4.0.22.generic kernel.

-Edit-

Just found out the FOSS is the same thing I'm using. :mrgreen:

Found the answer here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12479960
FOSS = free, open-source software, and the open-source radeon driver is included with linux kernel and used by default.
InkKnife wrote:When I built my PC 2 years ago I took some advice and immediately installed the proprietary AMD driver. Things seemed OK and I don't do any gaming so I am fairly insensitive to graphics card performance.

Recently I wanted to add another screen to my set-up and was getting nothing but grief. Cinnamon crashing and bailing out to fall back, the Catalyst control panel would lock up, forget settings and crash, crash, crash, so I uninstalled the driver and switched over to the recommended FOSS driver.
Wow, after reboot I could immediately see that the image on my screen looked better, sharper. Then I went back to trying to get the second screen working and now the set-up went smooth and easy as could be. Dual screens with very different resolutions, perfectly stable.

That done I relaxed and started doing my usual relaxing at my computer, browsing, light photo editing and I notice that everything is snappier, scrolling is butter smooth, windows fly open, menus have the snappy. Now this is where it gets weird: I notice that everything is using about 40% less ram and much, much less CPU and the average temp of my CPU dropped a full 5c.

I am completely blown away that changing the video driver could cause such a really, really big jump in performance. I post this here because while I have read plenty about AMD driver issues I had never read anything that suggested they were so bad that they would drag down your whole system. If I had had even a hint that a bad driver could slog things down so bad I would have tried yanking it long ago.

Before I switched drivers I was thinking that my PC made of old parts was going to need an upgrade but now it has the snappy back and I feel like my old Quad still has some years of service ahead of it. I have been using computers for going on 35 years and spent some years in PC repair and I have never seen such a performance boost from a software change, ever. I am happy but also kind of gob-smacked.
Mint 17.3 64bits - Cinnamon 2.8.8 - AMD R9 270

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

I wonder if a similar increase in performance would be possible by switching from the Nvidia driver that I'm using now? Any ideas? I'm also *something* of a gamer, and I'd really like better performance from my video card...
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I have an older Nvidia card, gtx260, in the machine I use for Mint/Cinnamon development. It runs far smoother and more solid using the open source driver over the nvidia drivers. Even simple things like dragging windows around is far smoother. I don't play games or use graphic intensive apps though. I see a lot of people automatically recommend people to change their driver when they do a new install which I think is poor advice. If you don't have a reason or need to change it, leave it be.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

JosephM wrote:I have an older Nvidia card, gtx260, in the machine I use for Mint/Cinnamon development. It runs far smoother and more solid using the open source driver over the nvidia drivers. Even simple things like dragging windows around is far smoother. I don't play games or use graphic intensive apps though. I see a lot of people automatically recommend people to change their driver when they do a new install which I think is poor advice. If you don't have a reason or need to change it, leave it be.
In particular I have had MUCH better luck with FOSS drivers and multiple screens.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Yeah, I'm also a multi-monitor user though I don't remember any specific issues with that on the nvidia driver.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

Hello,

I did some tests and tried different kernel versions with xserver-xorg or fglrx from Driver Manager and, still, they can't compare to the AMD Proprietary Driver Crimson Edition released in 12/18/2015.

In my case, Crimson Edition was and is far superior in comparison. Games are soo smooth now and run very well, without glitches. Even a black block glitch I experienced in the game This War of Mine is now gone.

I used several Kernel versions up to 4.7.rc2 and they can't match fglrx-15.302. Now I"m using 3.19.0-32-generic.

I recommend it if you are going to game on Linux Mint.

To download, go to:

Linux Download Center - http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux

Choose your GPU series and distribution name package and get yours. Mine was this:

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

Size: is 177 MB
Revision Number: Crimson Edition 15.12
Release Date: 12/18/2015

1. Download it to "Downloads" or "tmp" folder;
2. Unpack it and run the amd-driver-installer-15.302-x86.x86_64.run in terminal mode;
3. Follow the guide/questions and reboot;

And you'll be good to go. :)
Mint 17.3 64bits - Cinnamon 2.8.8 - AMD R9 270

Return to “Newbie Questions”