Need to re-install linux?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Genevieve
Level 1
Level 1

Need to re-install linux?

Post by Genevieve »

Hey, all -

For various work-related reasons, I'm in a boat after a year and a half or so where I need to have a Windows OS. I've been dinking around with online tutorials but am not getting very far (I'm in kind of an odd boat) - so, basically, I just want to know whether or not I will be able to re-install Windows (by any means) or if I need to buy a new computer.

My sutuation:
-- Current Mint OS
-- Laptop with no disc-drive
-- I have a windows 8.1 upgrade disc + product key
-- However, I don't have my windows 7 serial number/product key because, after 2 years of use, the sticker has faded off of my computer bottom.
-- I can (temporarily) use a friend's windows pc with a disc drive

However:
--When I put the windows 8.1 disc into his computer, it tries to install it onto his computer. I don't have the option to use it to make a bootable usb.

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Need to re-install linux?

Post by 0ddity »

Even if the Windows 7 product key has worn off the bottom of your PC, it should still be accessible in your computers BIOS. This can be accessed by pressing ESC, or F1, or F2, or DEL, or some other keys during boot depending on the manufacturer. Once in your BIOS, poke around the various menus looking for System Info or something similar. Once you find it, then you can download an ISO of Windows 7 from Microsoft, and create a bootable USB stick with it, and use your product key. This website explains that process.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... d/windows7

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Need to re-install linux?

Post by Cosmo. »

What is the thread about? The title says re-install linux, here you say:
Genevieve wrote:I just want to know whether or not I will be able to re-install Windows
Genevieve wrote:My sutuation:
-- Current Mint OS
At now there are 6 current Mint OS with 4 different desktop environments.

Return to “Newbie Questions”