Whats so good about KDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Phiver
Level 1
Level 1

Whats so good about KDE

Post by Phiver »

I hear a lot of people talk about KDE and why it is the best. I'm currently running Mints default cinnamon and am wondering what is so great about KDE? Also, if I decide to switch to it, how do I go about installing it?

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Whats so good about KDE

Post by Dngrsone »

KDE is a very powerful desktop environment (which means it also uses a lot of your computers resources), which also happens to be very flexible.

I use Mint 17.3 KDE because I prefer having different widgets and wallpapers on my different virtual desktops.

Since KDE works quite differently behind the scenes from the way Cinnamon or MATE work, it is best if you install KDE as a separate OS installation (or replace your current installation with a new installation of Mint KDE). I'd suggest you run KDE in a Live form (Boot from USB drive or DVD) and play around with it a little before replacing your current Mint OS.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

9 reasons to use KDE
I don't care about #7 & #8, but they are probably possible because #1,#2,#3,#5,#6, and if it helps draw users without impacting other users, great.

If you looked at my desktop you wouldn't see much, except a few panels, widgets and a solid color. I need to see bits and bytes and too much color or movement is distracting and I lose focus.

There are good and bad, pros and cons, likes and dislikes for all Desktops. Some Desktops are better for older hardware or specific purposes. KDE offers a lot of things that I turn off, but I still have to carry the weight of --- but I CAN turn them off or on via the very nice system settings or by modifying a text file. Where things reside seems to make sense and they are easy to find. My friends use MATE, and I could move to it. I like that I have a solid option. And if I'm unhappy with KDE in the future because I can't customize or turn off, I'll move. There were just a few things that I couldn't control or appeared a certain way in MATE or MATE app. I was never a fan of GNOME. In KDE I like the look of plasma and how I can configure the virtual desktops. I don't use activities. I use lightdm instead of kwin. I don't use any kdepims or social desktop. I like the qdbus interface which allows you to communicate to applications. I like the configurable keyboard shortcuts. I like dolphin, okular, gwenview, kate, krunner, konsole. I am a little invested in kate because I've written syntax highlighting files for a documentation system. KDE documentation was very clear how to do this. KDE has fairly good technical and user documentation. They also have a nice bug tracking system. The developers are responsive and for the most part nice :-)

I think the #1 reason is the relative ease of configuring everything so it becomes your Desktop and fits your way of doing things and seeing things.

As Dngrsone mentioned, try a livecd with kde. You can also install to a USB. Search the forum for specifics. Your mileage may vary.
Last edited by lmuserx4849 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phiver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phiver »

I just installed in on Virtual box. It is nice, but it may be more than I need. I dig it's customization and it's overall look. I don't like the menu though. So far I like Cinnamons menu best. It just seems layed out in ways that make sense and navigating it is easy.

I use my computer mostly for general web browsing, and a little but of gaming. KDE is very nice, but may be too resource intensive for me. I have a feeling it would bog down my games.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

Phiver wrote:I just installed in on Virtual box ... but may be too resource intensive for me. I have a feeling it would bog down my games.
Know that performance on VirtualBox is most likely different than if you installed it outside of a virtual environment. Note that Cinnamon isn't the most resource conservative desktop either.
Phiver wrote:It is nice, but it may be more than I need. I dig it's customization and it's overall look. I don't like the menu though. So far I like Cinnamons menu best.
Then use Cinnamon. Or use both. And try MATE and Xfce as well. Beyond disk space, there's no reason why you can't have multiple desktop installations existing in multiple partitions on your hard drive.

Joe

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

I can only attest to why I don't use KDE.
It reminds me of Windows.

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Habitual wrote:I can only attest to why I don't use KDE.
Okay, I'll bite...

How does it remind you of Windows?

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

:mrgreen: :lol:
Dngrsone wrote:
Okay, I'll bite...

Mint 17.3 64bits - Cinnamon 2.8.8 - AMD R9 270

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

wmh wrote:Image

:mrgreen: :lol:
Dngrsone wrote:
Okay, I'll bite...

What are you. five?
It's my opinion and not open to discussion.
#toss_off

Phiver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phiver »

JoeFootball wrote:
Phiver wrote:I just installed in on Virtual box ... but may be too resource intensive for me. I have a feeling it would bog down my games.
Know that performance on VirtualBox is most likely different than if you installed it outside of a virtual environment. Note that Cinnamon isn't the most resource conservative desktop either.
Phiver wrote:It is nice, but it may be more than I need. I dig it's customization and it's overall look. I don't like the menu though. So far I like Cinnamons menu best.
Then use Cinnamon. Or use both. And try MATE and Xfce as well. Beyond disk space, there's no reason why you can't have multiple desktop installations existing in multiple partitions on your hard drive.

Joe
So If I reinstall Mint with KDE, can I also install cinnamon and just switch between the two at login?

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

Phiver wrote:So If I reinstall Mint with KDE, can I also install cinnamon and just switch between the two at login?
What I'm saying is you can have multiple Linux installations co-exist on your hard drive, and when you power up your computer, GRUB would ask you which one you want to boot into at that time.

So, with a hard drive of multiple partitions, you could theoretically have a Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, and Xfce installations for Linux Mint, and boot into each one independently, so you could assess what you like and don't like about each.

EDIT: See How You Can Have Multiple Operating Systems on Your Computer, Hard Disk Partitions Explained, and How to Access and Use Your Linux Distribution's Boot Loader.

Joe

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Phiver wrote:
JoeFootball wrote:

Joe
So If I reinstall Mint with KDE, can I also install cinnamon and just switch between the two at login?
While it is possible to have multiple DEs under one installation, mixing KDE with Cinnamon or MATE causes a lot of problems, which is why Phiver (and myself) recommends separate installs.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Phiver wrote:.... KDE is very nice, but may be too resource intensive for me. I have a feeling it would bog down my games.
As someone else mentioned that may be because you were using a VM.

Try running it in a VM and doing some speed tweaks. First, turn off the default file indexing. And, more important, turn odd all desktop effects/compositing. You can't do that in DEs like Cinnamon or Unity or Gnome 3 which all need 3D hardware accelerated video just by themselves.

I use Xfce now but I ran KDE for a while and it is nice. It's configurable almost to a fault really, but it is the only heavyweight DE that you can really tweak for speed. I don't think that using KDE with all the eye candy turned off would run games worse. It may depend on how much RAM you have.

My 1Gb netbook has Xfce on it but I've done some distro/DE hopping on it. It actually ran KDE reasonably well if a bit slow, even with the infamous Intel Cedarview graphics that has terrible linux support. No 3D hardware accelerated video at all. I think it would have run pretty well with 2Gb. And with Openbox as a WM it was really pretty good. I booted a live session of Cinnamon from a USB stick and the CPU was at 47-48% with no apps running. Just the desktop.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Phiver wrote:... I don't like the menu though.

... but may be too resource intensive for me.
Regarding the menu or Application Launcher (AL), I don't like it either, but it can be changed. If the widgets are unlocked, you can right-click the AL and select Classic Menu Style. Also, the funny half circle with a shape inside, in the lower and upper right, use to be called the cashew. I'm not sure these days. There's an animated gif here; More here. If you left click it there is a menu with an option, "Add widgets" and you can enter "launcher" in the text search box. There are a few others.

Regarding resources, agree.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I run Windows in a VM, and KDE on Linux doesn't remind me of Windows. :-)

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

lmuserx4849 wrote:
I run Windows in a VM, and KDE on Linux doesn't remind me of Windows. :-)
Good for you.

Seems to have struck a nerve around here.

Let me end this:
I DON'T CARE.

dvd0soft000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dvd0soft000 »

KDE has a very long history and a large global community. I think that KDE makes some of the best software on Linux (k3b for DVD burning, krita for digital art).

Return to “Newbie Questions”