All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Richard-Carrickreagh
Level 1
Level 1

All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Post by Richard-Carrickreagh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 am

Hi there

I am a VERY new Mint user. Slowly getting to grips but this has stumped me and I can't find a solution, or even another occurrence, on the forum.

I installed Lucky Backup from luckybackup_0.4.8-1_i386.deb which I got from the SourceForge site. I used this .8 version because the .7 version, on the repositories, has a bug with mounting external drives. Did a complete image backup. When I looked at my desktop subsequently all my icons, except Home and Computer had changed to a white square with a rainbow coloured "fan" shape with "Aa" beneath it.

Any ideas what caused this and how I might restore the original icons.

Many thanks for you time especially if the answer is simple.

Regards

Richard

PS Before I posted the above I thought I would look at the System to check which version of Mint I was using so I clicked on the System Settings icon on the desktop, which had lost its original icon and replaced by the rainbow, and the following message came up "untrusted application launcher" which when I marked as "trusted" the original icon came back. What the hell is going on?

Oh I am using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon.

Richard-Carrickreagh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Post by Richard-Carrickreagh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 am

Further investigation shows me that each time I run Lucky Backup all the applications (except Home and Computer) on my desktop are altered such that when I try to run them they all come up with the "untrusted application launcher" error. This can be corrected by making them trusted again but this is very frustrating. Can anyone suggest what might be going on and offer a solution. Thank you.

Richard

Richard-Carrickreagh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Richard-Carrickreagh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:10 am

Am I doing something wrong? I'm a newbie with a newbie question, this is the right place to post?

xox101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xox101 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 am

I would remove lucky backup as it doesn't look to have been updated for some time. Try another backup solution.

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:32 am

I think that all you need to do is reset Cinnamon. There are several ways to do this, but the easiest is to press Ctrl+Alt+Esc . This will reset Cinnamon, and all your icons should revert to something familiar. What you are seeing now is the 'default' icons of Cinnamon. Don't let this alarm you, everything but your backup program is fine.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Richard-Carrickreagh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Richard-Carrickreagh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:38 am

xox101 wrote:I would remove lucky backup as it doesn't look to have been updated for some time. Try another backup solution.
Hi, can you recommend a suitable backup package please? I chose Lucky Backup because it came out top of the list with most users on the Software Manager list. Other backup solutions only seemed to have very few users. Many thanks for your help.

Richard-Carrickreagh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Richard-Carrickreagh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 am

Amii_Leigh wrote:I think that all you need to do is reset Cinnamon. There are several ways to do this, but the easiest is to press Ctrl+Alt+Esc . This will reset Cinnamon, and all your icons should revert to something familiar. What you are seeing now is the 'default' icons of Cinnamon. Don't let this alarm you, everything but your backup program is fine.
Hi, Alt-Cntl-Esc does not resolve the issue but thank you for your suggestion.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 am

Richard-Carrickreagh wrote:Hi, can you recommend a suitable backup package please? I chose Lucky Backup because it came out top of the list with most users on the Software Manager list.
That is the trouble with those comments: They are absolutely subjective and it appears as a coincidence, how many reviews and votes a program gets.

I recommend Back in Time, very flexible and able to backup automatically.

Richard-Carrickreagh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Richard-Carrickreagh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 am

Cosmo. wrote:
Richard-Carrickreagh wrote:Hi, can you recommend a suitable backup package please? I chose Lucky Backup because it came out top of the list with most users on the Software Manager list.
That is the trouble with those comments: They are absolutely subjective and it appears as a coincidence, how many reviews and votes a program gets.

I recommend Back in Time, very flexible and able to backup automatically.
Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Return to “Newbie Questions”