Page 1 of 1

All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 am
by Richard-Carrickreagh
Hi there

I am a VERY new Mint user. Slowly getting to grips but this has stumped me and I can't find a solution, or even another occurrence, on the forum.

I installed Lucky Backup from luckybackup_0.4.8-1_i386.deb which I got from the SourceForge site. I used this .8 version because the .7 version, on the repositories, has a bug with mounting external drives. Did a complete image backup. When I looked at my desktop subsequently all my icons, except Home and Computer had changed to a white square with a rainbow coloured "fan" shape with "Aa" beneath it.

Any ideas what caused this and how I might restore the original icons.

Many thanks for you time especially if the answer is simple.

Regards

Richard

PS Before I posted the above I thought I would look at the System to check which version of Mint I was using so I clicked on the System Settings icon on the desktop, which had lost its original icon and replaced by the rainbow, and the following message came up "untrusted application launcher" which when I marked as "trusted" the original icon came back. What the hell is going on?

Oh I am using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon.

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 am
by Richard-Carrickreagh
Further investigation shows me that each time I run Lucky Backup all the applications (except Home and Computer) on my desktop are altered such that when I try to run them they all come up with the "untrusted application launcher" error. This can be corrected by making them trusted again but this is very frustrating. Can anyone suggest what might be going on and offer a solution. Thank you.

Richard

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:10 am
by Richard-Carrickreagh
Am I doing something wrong? I'm a newbie with a newbie question, this is the right place to post?

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 am
by xox101
I would remove lucky backup as it doesn't look to have been updated for some time. Try another backup solution.

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:32 am
by Amii_Leigh
I think that all you need to do is reset Cinnamon. There are several ways to do this, but the easiest is to press Ctrl+Alt+Esc . This will reset Cinnamon, and all your icons should revert to something familiar. What you are seeing now is the 'default' icons of Cinnamon. Don't let this alarm you, everything but your backup program is fine.

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:38 am
by Richard-Carrickreagh
xox101 wrote:I would remove lucky backup as it doesn't look to have been updated for some time. Try another backup solution.
Hi, can you recommend a suitable backup package please? I chose Lucky Backup because it came out top of the list with most users on the Software Manager list. Other backup solutions only seemed to have very few users. Many thanks for your help.

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 am
by Richard-Carrickreagh
Amii_Leigh wrote:I think that all you need to do is reset Cinnamon. There are several ways to do this, but the easiest is to press Ctrl+Alt+Esc . This will reset Cinnamon, and all your icons should revert to something familiar. What you are seeing now is the 'default' icons of Cinnamon. Don't let this alarm you, everything but your backup program is fine.
Hi, Alt-Cntl-Esc does not resolve the issue but thank you for your suggestion.

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 am
by Cosmo.
Richard-Carrickreagh wrote:Hi, can you recommend a suitable backup package please? I chose Lucky Backup because it came out top of the list with most users on the Software Manager list.
That is the trouble with those comments: They are absolutely subjective and it appears as a coincidence, how many reviews and votes a program gets.

I recommend Back in Time, very flexible and able to backup automatically.

Re: All Desktop Icons, except Computer and Home have changed

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 am
by Richard-Carrickreagh
Cosmo. wrote:
Richard-Carrickreagh wrote:Hi, can you recommend a suitable backup package please? I chose Lucky Backup because it came out top of the list with most users on the Software Manager list.
That is the trouble with those comments: They are absolutely subjective and it appears as a coincidence, how many reviews and votes a program gets.

I recommend Back in Time, very flexible and able to backup automatically.
Thank you, I'll give that a try.