apt-get wants to remove loads

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

apt-get wants to remove loads

Post by tpprynn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:14 am

I think I must have been a bit too experimental when trying out different window managers and desktops, as when I use the terminal to install with apt-get now a big list of programs are suggested as now being unneeded, enough that I know I'll have a borked system if I use apt-get autoremove. Is there a way to reset this so that it's not prompting for the removal of half the system? I don't want to do a reinstall if I can help it this time as this is the longest I've had an install since 2008 without upgrades, downgrades and other fidgets, and everything is working and looking so well. The list of programs is everything from specific programs like Abiword, through codecs, qt and things like the LXDE desktop.

Thanks.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: apt-get wants to remove loads

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:20 am

This happens when a 'foreign' package gets installed, apt-get tries to upgrade half the system to match. In the Software Sources accessory there's a Maintenance button. You still need to be careful with choosing what's to be removed, but it's a bit smarter than apt-get at distinguishing between 'native' and 'foreign' pieces of the system.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 pm

tpprynn wrote:I must have been a bit too experimental when trying out different window managers and desktops
This cries for a new installation.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 pm

This cries for a new installation.
I would agree, what with multiple desktop environments having been installed, but generally "sudo apt-get autoremove" would be what you are looking for.

Return to “Newbie Questions”