Why is a hidden SSID slow to find (WiFi)?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
newbe3579
Level 1
Level 1

Why is a hidden SSID slow to find (WiFi)?

Post by newbe3579 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi all newbies!

When I start Mint it takes a fair amount of time to find the network having a hidden SSID.
This is true even if that is the only network I use, is clearly the strongest around and with only few other weak networks "visible".
With Windows 7 this is never the case, it somehow remembers my last WiFi connection and tries that first. In my point of view the preferred way.

I have heard I should not use hidden SSIDs and that it is less safe for some strange reason.
A hidden SSID is not broadcasting it's presence but it was not long time ago since I was there having a connection.

Why is it so slow in Mint?
Thanks for your kind help!

Bo in Finland

xox101
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why is a hidden SSID slow to find (WiFi)?

Post by xox101 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:29 am

A hidden wifi network does broadcast itself. Otherwise you would never be able to connect to it. And setting it as hidden does not improve the security one bit. Set it to braodcast as normal and make sure you're wifi password is a good one then try connecting to it again.

newbe3579
Level 1
Level 1

Post by newbe3579 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:50 am

Thanks xox101,

Slightly of the subject but an interesting thought triggered by your reply.

Well, someone claimed that with having a secure network and an intruder has cracked my bad password, I am the guilty and can be prosecuted for whatever the intruder is doing through my network connection. Downloading ****, music or whatever. If I keep it open without a password, anybody can do what they please, but I cannot be held responsible. Correct or wrong? Maybe it also varies with the country.
What can they do with my Wifi modem more than reconfiguring it? I still have the reset button and my PC is still protected with a different password or?
Not sure I got this or why it is wrong to hide the SSID.

If we for a short while disregard my obviously erroneous modem settings. If the hidden SSID network is still broadcasting, then it's even more puzzling why Mint and not Windows has trouble finding it.

Bo

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:46 am

Hiding the SSID is actually not only a misunderstanding, that it might enhance security; the really bad thing (besides several kinds of connection problems) is, that it reduces security! Here you can read why hidden wireless SSIDs actually leak your SSID name. For those, who want a little bit less technical explanation this article by Microsoft describes the problem with an analogy.

Wireless connections (and other things) get done by using some standards. This standard does not support hidden SSIDs. If the SSID is hidden and any kind of connection problems (inclusive slow response) arise, it is not the mistake of the device, which follows the standard but of the wrong configuration. So the question is not, why is Mint slow in this case, but why are those(!) W7 machines quicker. To be honest: I don't know, obviously I don't know those machines.

newbe3579
Level 1
Level 1

Post by newbe3579 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 am

Thanks Cosmo for a good reply!
I will quickly correct my configuration ;-)

Bo

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Four popular myths and 12 good tips concerning wireless security:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... tywireless
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Newbie Questions”