Newbie Question re Lost Software Once Installed <SOLVED>

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Myz
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie Question re Lost Software Once Installed <SOLVED>

Post by Myz »

Hello folks, I am very new to Linux, I have done a clean install on Asus Laptop i7. linux installed Mint 17.2 Rafaela Cinnamon only 3 days ago (so very green). I wanted to load DVD-Slideshow, which I downloaded and installed via the Software Manager. Once downloaded, I clicked install.
Said Install was successful. However it is not in the menu any where? I do a search and nothing comes up. I went back to Software Manager and it says installed. So I removed it did a re-install and still no where to be found.
I have read that I should run Synaptic Software Manger search for DVD-Slideshow, which was there and clicked in re install / fix? and said again was succesful.
But I can not find it any where, appreciate any help or pointers. Thanks in advance Myz.
Last edited by Myz on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
lmuserx4849

Re: Newbie Question re Lost Software Once Installed

Post by lmuserx4849 »

It's a commandline utility, not a gui, so you won't find it in the menu.

There is some information at the dvd-slideshow wiki that you might find helpful.

To find a program not in the menu, there are a couple of ways it can be done. You mentioned Synaptic. In Synaptic, I have Settings -> Preferences, Appearance - "Show package properties in the main window" checked. This divides the page in half and shows a tabbed control with additional information about the package. One of those things is "Installed Files". There is a tab, "Installed Files", that will show you what is installed. Executables are in "bin" directories, documentation is in "/usr/share/doc" or manual pages (see man command) is in "/usr/share/man".

There is the locate command (updatedb). There is the find command (limit it to the bin directories). Since it is an executable, in your path, there is also the type command.

Code: Select all

===> type -a dvd-slideshow
dvd-slideshow is /usr/bin/dvd-slideshow

===> file /usr/bin/dvd-slideshow
/usr/bin/dvd-slideshow: a /usr/bin/env bash script, ASCII text executable

You might also like dvdstyler. I use to use a program called man2dvd, but I can't find it anymore :-(
Myz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Newbie Question re Lost Software Once Installed

Post by Myz »

Thank you Imuserx, appreciate the info, will check out the wiki link, also the dvd-styler. I kinda follow what the other stuff is re command lines so I will digest that again and have a squiz. thanks for your help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”