Laptop won't suspend

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaye

Laptop won't suspend

Post by Kaye »

Hey everyone,

When I close the lid to my laptop, nothing happens! I'm running Mint 6 and everything else seems to work fine after some tweaking except for hibernation/suspend. When I try to hibernate, I get this code:

Code: Select all

LNXPOWER: 00 Error Code: -8
and as I said earlier, closing the lid does nothing. Here's the result of lspci (I assume someone will ask for it):

Code: Select all

jordan@jordanlaptop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Laptop won't suspend

Post by Udi »

For hibernate to work you need a large enough swap. How much RAM does your laptop have and how big is the swap? How many running apps do you have when you hibernate? I also see from your previous posts on the same issue that hibernate used to work sometimes on your laptop, and now it doesn't work at all - what changed?
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

The hibernate functionality is the same as before - that is, it doesn't work as it should. I get that error code, and it only wakes up successfully about 20% of the time. My swap is 1.5 gigs (I have 3 gigs of RAM), with a 12 gig Ming partition and a 134 gig data partition.. plus, when testing hibernate I only had a simple gedit process running. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm running a dualboot with Vista, but I don't see how that would effect it.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Udi wrote: I also see from your previous posts on the same issue that hibernate used to work sometimes on your laptop, and now it doesn't work at all - what changed?
For me what changed was installing Felicia. Now it won't Suspend, Hibernate, or even reliably Shut Down. When doing the latter, I have to wait 45 seconds to see if it worked. 75% of the time, it doesn't.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Udi »

Kaye - If you have 3 gigabytes of RAM you need a 6GB swap partition. No way it will work with only 1.5. This is because the memory is written to swap when you suspend it (that's how Linux wakes up after that and restores everything to its previous state), and you need place to hold all that memory + everything else that's already in the swap before the suspend.

Locutus - Are you able to properly shut down when running off the Mint 6 Live CD? Perhaps the upgrade didn't go so well... I don't know.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Udi wrote:Kaye - If you have 3 gigabytes of RAM you need a 6GB swap partition. No way it will work with only 1.5.
6GB of swap??? :shock: woa my god NO! With 3GB of RAM you can use Linux WITHOUT swap. The rule that says you need twice as much swap as RAM is valid with less than 1GB RAM. After, 1GB should be enough, except maybe if you make some "very big works" :lol:

I have used Linux (several distros) with 1GB RAM and 1GB swap without problem and I could hibernate... but hibernation is sometimes a problem under Linux, it's not always very stable...

I don't know what laptop you have but perhaps you may read this topic, it can be interesting...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry Udi, but you need to go back to the books on that one! linuxviolin is correct and the thread starter's problem with hibernation/suspend most likely has little if anything to do with swap in this case.

Hibernation/suspend is an ongoing, hit and miss problem in Linux. A real fix seems to be on the horizon, but it isn't here yet.

The best advice I can give is to spend a lot of time Googling and try the various solutions that others have gotten to work. But the fix for every mix of hardware seems to be a bit different.

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Udi wrote: Locutus - Are you able to properly shut down when running off the Mint 6 Live CD? Perhaps the upgrade didn't go so well... I don't know.
It wasn't an upgrade. I did at first and had this problem, then for different reasons I bought a new hard drive and did a clean install of both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I still have this problem.

But I didn't in Mint 5, so there's a regression somewhere. I would go back to M5 but there are features in M6 that I want and are not available in M5.

Return to “Beginner Questions”