Mint 18 and very small errors (Solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 18 and very small errors (Solved)

Post by Lumikki »

I installed today Mint 18, I think I had before Mint 14. I did clean installation. Everyting did go pretty well. Some small hardware issues what I allways get.

After Installation I did run the Mint update and there come in the end some error, but I can't seem to find what was it. Someting init* . Could be some software library system? Don't know where the logs are for Mint update software.

Okey, my small issue is that when I install or remove software with Software manager it allways give me error in the end. Software is still installed or removed, so it doesn't affect that. Error is little like this. "Software could not been installed because error. Error is that it cound not connect the network." This error has notting to do with internet connect as it does download the softwares just fine. My ques it's more like trying to update someting in after action and that fails.

I did find this kind of messages in apt logs, when I installed manually nfs.

Start-Date: 2016-07-03 12:29:00
Commandline: apt-get install nfs-common
Requested-By: wizard (1000)
Install: libtirpc1:amd64 (0.2.5-1, automatic), rpcbind:amd64 (0.2.3-0.2, automatic), nfs-common:amd64 (1:1.2.8-9ubuntu12), libnfsidmap2:amd64 (0.25-5, automatic)
Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
End-Date: 2016-07-03 12:29:18

In the end it seem like every installation or removing software cause some after event error. Even if the actual installation or removing does work.

So where could I look solution for this small issue?

PS: Is there way to remove from menu the "Last used file" option? I really don't like when computers keep history of what i'm doing.
Last edited by Lumikki on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Windows 7

jeanpaulberes
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 18 and very small errors

Post by jeanpaulberes »

Dear,
I don't know if you're using Cinnamon or .. But if you're using Linux Mint with Cinnamon, about removing the last files, within the menu if you point Recent Files, an option under all your Recent Files is CLEAR List ... this removes all your recent files from the menu !
A good tool, but to use carefully, is BleachBit .. it removes all history (cache, ...) from your system (a little bit like CrapCleaner under Windows)
Kind regards,
Paul

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no need for such crap like BB to remove the history. Simply disabling it in the privacy settings does the job with one click and permanent.

Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

Okey, that PS stuff seem to solved. Thank You.

I got this kind of error when installing conky software in command line. (End of the installation messages)

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.122ubuntu8.1) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic
Warning: No support for locale: fi_FI.utf8

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 gzip 1
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic with 1.
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
aliprosessi komentotiedosto post-installation asennettu palautti virhetilakoodin 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu3) ...
Käsittelyssä tapahtui liian monta virhettä:
initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Could it be that / or /boot has too little disk space?
I mean they are pretty full / is 94% used and that like 800MB free.
/boot is like 66% used and has like 30MB free.

Oh and I don't have swap file at all.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Windows 7

Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I think my /boot partition 100MB disk space is just too small for initramfs-tools. I don't know what it's, but that's seem to be my source of errors.
So I'm gonna do new installation with little different partion sizes.

Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I have done the new installation (second).
Changed /boot partition from 100MB to 500MB
Also changed / partition from 8GB to 12,5GB, because it seem to pretty full.

No errors anymore, so problem solved. I think /boot partion was too small for what ever initramfs-tools was doing there.

Return to “Newbie Questions”