No wifi on Lenovo Ideapad 100

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

No wifi on Lenovo Ideapad 100

Post by Eseriani »

Hello,

New on Linux, I have no wifi on my new Lenovo Ideapad 100. I found the below answers but for another tyoe of Ideapad, the G50. Would it work on my Ideapad 100 though?

"The solution is to make a /etc/rc.local file, whose contents is
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh -e
# By default this script does nothing.
modprobe -r ideapad-laptop
exit 0
You can add it to /etc/rc.local (without sudo!), but it would seem cleaner to simply put that module on the blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf."

I am a bit confused on what to do and what script to write. Thank you for your precious help :)

Caroline

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No wifi on Lenovo Ideapad 100

Post by turtlebay »

In the menu go to Control Centre and click Driver Manager. You will need to have an Ethernet connection running.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Eseriani wrote:Hello,

New on Linux, I have no wifi on my new Lenovo Ideapad 100. I found the below answers but for another tyoe of Ideapad, the G50. Would it work on my Ideapad 100 though?

"The solution is to make a /etc/rc.local file, whose contents is
#!/bin/sh -e
# By default this script does nothing.
modprobe -r ideapad-laptop
exit 0
You can add it to /etc/rc.local (without sudo!), but it would seem cleaner to simply put that module on the blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf."

I am a bit confused on what to do and what script to write. Thank you for your precious help :)

Caroline
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=206496#p1183888

Just edit the /etc/rc.local file. The easiest may be open the file as an administrator (right mouse click above the file and options). An another way is to so some editor like nano. An example:
Open Terminal and run

sudo nano /etc/rc.local
.. use arrow keys for moving and edit the file. After editing save, quit and reboot the computer.
Ctrl o saves the file
Ctrl x quits

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

Hello Turtlebay,

I tried as oyu said but it says No proprietary Driver in Use,,, Thanks though :wink:
turtlebay wrote:In the menu go to Control Centre and click Driver Manager. You will need to have an Ethernet connection running.

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

Hi Admin,

Thank you for helping me. I changed the rc.local... but still no internet :(

I add the extra line, screenshot
Attachments
rc.local.png

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message, if necessary by copy/pasting the output in text editor Xed first, and then copying the Xed document on a USB thumb drive, in order to transport it to a PC with internet access.

Do the same with the following commands:

rfkill list all
and:

iwconfig
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Eseriani wrote:Hi Admin,

Thank you for helping me. I changed the rc.local... but still no internet :(

I add the extra line, screenshot
About quoting Pjotr private message ...
In the wifi-Lenovo thread I've noticed that you've advised to use rc.local. However, with the advent of systemd in Mint 18, rc.local has become a "legacy" service that's better avoided (whenever reasonably possible).

The disabling of modules can also be achieved by adding a line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.
... the right option is to add blacklist ideapad-laptop line to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file and reboot the computer.

gksudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

Thank you so much for your help! I hope that this helps - I am using my phone data on hotspot via USB to get connected at the moment :?

caroline@c-interactive ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: c-interactive Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: LENOVO product: 80MJ version: Lenovo ideapad 100-15IBY
Mobo: LENOVO model: Lenovo ideapad 1 version: No DPK Bios: LENOVO version: CCCN19WW(V2.05) date: 01/12/2016
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron CPU N2840 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8667
Clock Speeds: 1: 830.00 MHz 2: 2159.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter port: 1000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (16.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM014 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 913G used: 156G (18%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 236M used: 43M (20%) fs: ext2
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 157 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 284.4/1901.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
caroline@c-interactive ~ $ rfkill list all
2: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
caroline@c-interactive ~ $ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

administrollaattori wrote:
Eseriani wrote:Hi Admin,
... the right option is to add blacklist ideapad-laptop line to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file and reboot the computer.

gksudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
I have changed the blacklist.config accordingly… still no internet via wireless :(

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

You're using a relatively old Mint version (17 Qiana) on a very new machine. I advise to try Linux Mint 18, which has been released just days ago: http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/sta ... -64bit.iso

Burn the iso on a DVD in the right way, boot your computer from it and test whether everything works in the live session ("trying without installing").
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

Thank you so much for the advice and link. I am in the middle of Africa at the moment, then a bit of a struggle but I am going to try the Mint18 version… if there is any ways to get the wifi with my current version of Mint that would surely help…

Trying your link… :wink:

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

… a silly question, I do everything from my phone, including getting Internet on my computer… how big is the file from your link? If I have to download I need to check if it won't drain my phone data… otherwise I won't be able to discuss with you any more guys :(

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

I have just checked the size f the file. I will get an ethernet connection later and test the Mint 18 version.

Thank you for your help and time today, I would have loved that it works but that's how it is. I will post a message as soon as the new Mint is installed.
Thank you,

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

What happens if you

sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be fwlps=N

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 0ddity »

Just a tip, if you're using internet tethering through your phone to connect your PC over your phones data plan, you can just connect your phone to the WiFi you're trying to connect your PC to and it will use the WiFi internet instead of using your phones data.

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

Thank you all for your advice.

# JeremyB, here is the result : modprobe: FATAL: Module rtl8723be not found.

# Oddity: thank you. I am on Wifi now :D

# Pjotr: I have burnt a DVD with the link proposed. So unfortunate that my computer that my computer does not work when I am overseas... I will install if there is no other options... I believe there may be something missing in the computer.

Thanks - Is there anything I should do about the module?

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

I would use the Update Manager to click View then Linux kernels and install the newest 3.13.0 kernel and reboot when finished as there is somethinh wrong with your current kernel

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

This is a screenshot of my available kernel - which one should I select to download the newversionof it?
Attachments
kernel.png

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

I would pick 3.13.0-91 or 3.13.0-92 as they should have the most security patches applied

Eseriani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eseriani »

I have just downloaded the kernel the 0-91 and this is what the screen displayed at start... and no luck again with the Wifi :(
Attachments
wifi Ideapad.jpg

Return to “Newbie Questions”